• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christmas present
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2021 at 4:21 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Very nice one. Only thing is tho is that one is a proof and im only working on a set of business strikes. If I were putting together a proof set I would consider looking at that one more. Thanks for sharing. 

What years are you looking for, I’d be glad to keep an eye open 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:12 PM, R__Rash said:

What years are you looking for, I’d be glad to keep an eye open 

I cant remember which all ones i need. I got a checklist made somewhere. They have to be NGC or PCGS. Been trying to get the highest grades I can afford. MS 66 or better but some Ill have to take a lesser grade. 

On 12/12/2021 at 5:43 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I cant remember which all ones i need. I got a checklist made somewhere. They have to be NGC or PCGS. Been trying to get the highest grades I can afford. MS 66 or better but some Ill have to take a lesser grade. 

Continue on, thanks for sharing.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:43 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I can imagine....a 1932-D or 1936-D in MS 66 would be a killer pricewise!

On 12/12/2021 at 8:03 PM, Mohawk said:

I can imagine....a 1932-D or 1936-D in MS 66 would be a killer pricewise!

Yep. Id have to hit the lottery to afford one of those. Until i can line those numers up just right Ill have to settle with an AU or lower. 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, Mohawk said:

There's nothing wrong with a nice, circulated coin.  All of my ancients are circulated and so are most of my banknotes.  To me, circulated coins and notes can have more of a story.......I wonder who may have used them, where did they use them and for what?  What did these pieces of money mean to the people who had them?  Circulated coins and notes all have stories that they cannot tell, which adds to their mystique, at least it does for me.

It reminds me of the story of why many old coins that no one wants had holes drilled through them. I always wondered what kind of clothing/jacket or petticoat etc. and for what reasons were these old coins sewn to it.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:50 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive always wondered about the old poker games alot of these coins been through. And brothels. How many was stored away for years in hidden stashes. How many were used for illegal activities. Its hard telling what all they been through. Very interesting to sit and think about. Every time I watch an old western film I think of those things when it shows a saloon with all the card tables set up. 

That's a perfect example of what I was talking about.  I look at my old German Empire notes and I wonder if it's possible that one of my maternal ancestors used it.  I look at my Canadian and East German notes and wonder if the distant relatives I still apparently have in eastern Germany and Ontario in Canada possibly used them.  And some of my U.S. notes came from family and friends, so I know those were used and found by people I love.  It's magical stuff.  

On 12/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, Mohawk said:

That's a perfect example of what I was talking about.  I look at my old German Empire notes and I wonder if it's possible that one of my maternal ancestors used it.  I look at my Canadian and East German notes and wonder if the distant relatives I still apparently have in eastern Germany and Ontario in Canada possibly used them.  And some of my U.S. notes came from family and friends, so I know those were used and found by people I love.  It's magical stuff.  

Magical, !! To only imagine if you can what endeavoring to persevere with what little they had, how every coin made it’s mark in survival. I love a beautiful graded coin, and in these days certification that it is not counterfeit is a bonus to the collection. But, you can’t compare the history of circulated coins, the collectibility, survival and worn beauty to a coin that has never traveled through time, but only from the mint to your safe. 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:50 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive always wondered about the old poker games alot of these coins been through. And brothels. How many was stored away for years in hidden stashes. How many were used for illegal activities. Its hard telling what all they been through. Very interesting to sit and think about. Every time I watch an old western film I think of those things when it shows a saloon with all the card tables set up. 

It is pretty amazing what your Christmas quarter really means to so many. Thanks again.!

On 12/12/2021 at 7:04 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That was sure bad down there where they got hit. We supposed to have some more work down in there but dont know if we will get to do it or not for a while. 

Lots of clearing and debris sorting/removal. Areas nearby will have a different kind of community and business stress.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:57 AM, RWB said:

Lots of clearing and debris sorting/removal. Areas nearby will have a different kind of community and business stress.

Sure will. We worked yesterday where one of the smaller tornados hit. Lots of damaged trees  and a few houses damaged, one destroyed. Few damaged outbuildings and barns. 

On 12/16/2021 at 7:33 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I think that's one of those "inside the house" wreaths.  

Hoghead  actually inspired the idea, with first post discussing his new Christmas GW. I just happened to have that page of 64’s close and borrowed the wreath from the Mrs. It sat on the piano for a while then she wanted her wreath back. Go figure, lol..🤔

Edited by R__Rash