• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 CC Morgan $1 mint error

9 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, I have no experience with mint error coins. This 2021 CC Morgan is one of 10 I purchased from the mint this year. 
I thought there was a hair on the plastic capsule, but closer examination with a loop revealed what appears to me to be a crack in 
the planchet on the obverse side. A scratch would not go under Liberty's upper lip or under the bead at the edge of the coin. 
Should I submit this to NGC as a mint error which will most likely receive a details grade?. Has anyone heard of other errors
in the new Morgan series? Any thoughts?
Thanks for your input,

Mstang56

2021 CC Privy Mark Morgan $1.jpg

These coins have turned out to be very disappointing for a lot of buyers. There seems to be threads everytime you turn around about small strike-throughs on these things. Low quality mint product. I almost think it wouldn't be worth getting an error designation on these as there are going to be thousands of them anyway. I think the only ones that may hold value down the road will be the ones without a strike-through. 

I agree a strike through or scratch., and I wouldn't send it in. If it's a strike through it just doesn't look dramatic enough to me to be worth the extra money, and if there are as many of these out there with similar flaws as there appears to be then that just drops the premium even more. Send it back or leave it as is.

As mentioned a lot of these have problems and different kinds of them. Peace or morgan lots of quality control issues. The rare ones might turn out to be the ones with out problems. With reverse proof and proof and hey why not a colorized. The program is messed up and wow is there a fight going on about if these new issues are part of the run or commemoratives. I’ll check my reverse proof original peace and morgan dollars. Oh there aren’t any 😉. Enjoy