• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Helpy Indentifying a gold coin of constantine and a gold coin of ptolemy V

13 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 7:51 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

My friend sent me these from his collection and very curious as to the what the correct identification is

edit: first coin Ptolemy V, the latter is (from what I've been told is)  Constantine the Great but the dude never gave me denomination or any type of RIC info or anything

254749908_933639860915703_2642435456126813186_n.png

253342960_961976971341436_8229572089610234067_n.png

253403638_316207499919503_4316821770913904509_n.png

251674289_371385021407998_1460846820685792934_n.png

Edited by imperatorcoaticus97

The gold coin was known as a "solidus" or commonly "DekaImperium." The latter described the quantity of extra large "Imperial" pizza that could be bought by the coin. One "imperial" pizza could feed 5 Praetorian Guard members or one of the Emperor's portly mistresses.

The bottom photo is really the obverse.

It features an ad for Yashua's Sit-Down Pizza company located near the Hippodrome and next to the Imperial Palace in Constantinople. The place was very popular and known for it's kosher sausage and bacon pizza. The central figure is Yashua ibn Yoseph, seated as per the business' name, with a large bacon and green pepper pizza behind him. His right hand beckons customers to enter and his left holds a complimentary cloth napkin - necessary due to the thick layer of sauce and melted cheese toppings. Yummmmm!

The upper design with two figures, depicts workers holding a large pizza paddle used to put the pie into a hot wood-fired oven, and then remove it for table service. The oven was very hot and its temperature was high enough to instantly melt lead. Heat of the oven was regularly tested by tossing in a lead pellet (about the size of a marble) and watching it melt. The Supreme Pizza Master (at left on the coin) wore a vest or bandalero-type sash that held a supply of lead pellets used for quality assurance. The small "plus sign" on the worker's hats were there to protect their heads from pizza that accidentally slipped off a paddle. (The main location had a 3-level oven, so it was important to prevent worker injury and damaged pizzas.) The two workers are believed to be special favorites of Yashua named "Constantia" and "Diarrhea."

Edited by RWB

On 11/16/2021 at 1:21 PM, Oldhoopster said:

@RWB

Are you auditioning your stand up routine to be the entertainment provider at the next ANA banquet?  :roflmao:

Naw....If I were doing that, it would be about the Grim Reaper using his scythe to cut through the ANA's red tape and do somersetting positive for the hobby and collectors.....before he came back for ANA's aging membership.

wuuuttttt lol So anybody got any real information on the Hellenistic coin or the Constantine or just jokes lmao?  I should probably just try image search and wildwinds and see if I can figure it myself, I have been since I first joined. Making more and more identifications. It's been a blast learning and learning @Mowhawk any idea about my OP coins & pictures?

Edited by imperatorcoaticus97

On 11/15/2021 at 11:31 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

not my pics or coins i thought the same thing i would have been wearing gloves

"not my pics or coins"  So why are you here taking up space for people who really need help?  

On 11/25/2021 at 4:09 AM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

wuuuttttt lol So anybody got any real information on the Hellenistic coin or the Constantine or just jokes lmao?  I should probably just try image search and wildwinds and see if I can figure it myself, I have been since I first joined. Making more and more identifications. It's been a blast learning and learning @Mowhawk any idea about my OP coins & pictures?

Filling time until Ptolemy and Eastern Roman followers show up.