• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986-D 25C

13 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

This Quarter reverse? I’m not seeing it. Sorry. Two different mints not possible therefore PMD

EA08C54C-256E-4072-B9E8-DD8BB111146A.jpeg

Yes, somehow coming in between the die and the planchet on first strike but then getting re struck.... Its the only thing i can think of. The pattern size and rounded to flattened parts of horns are identical but if its pmd then wouldn't it look different?

It looks like it had some corrosive substance on it.  Do some studying up on the minting process, what you are suggesting isn't really even possible.  Both sides show the same discoloration/staining, the coin so the coin was pretty much immersed in the stuff.  

Edited by l.cutler

Hello and welcome,

Please post pics of the entire coin, front and back, in addition to any additional images of the area/s in question. I don't know what the discoloration is but I know what didn't happen and that's a strike through of a Canadian quarter at a U.S. mint. My best guess at this point is corrosion.

What you are describing is outright impossible.  There is no way that ever happened.  One coin was struck in Denver, the other was struck in Winnipeg.  Since what you're describing is impossible, logic dictates that your coin is simply damaged.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:40 PM, BusinessDemiGOD said:

Thanks for all of your feedback! There is still a bit I need to understand… 

That's no problem...we were all new once.  You're in a good place to learn about this hobby.  Keep asking questions and accepting the responses of the members here in the way you have been, you'll be doing just fine.