• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Cud
1 1

14 posts in this topic

This 2016 P Nickel looks like it had a cud that was filed down ?. Or should I say the die had a chip and that was filed down to keep production rolling until they could replace the die. Not sure how or why the edge is still uniform but it is Odd looking for sure.

S20211029_0005.jpg

S20211029_0006.jpg

S20211029_0007.jpg

S20211029_0008.jpg

S20211029_0009.jpg

On 10/29/2021 at 7:22 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Or should I say the die had a chip and that was filed down

I don't think it would be possible to file down such a small recess in the face of the die which is ultimately what would cause a cud.  I'm leaning toward a file job post mint........ Would still like to see an obverse pic though.  Not exactly sure how this would have happened at the mint and I'm thinking PMD.  But with that said, however it was done, it did not particularly affect the remaining edge of the coin based on your pics. 

On 10/29/2021 at 8:41 PM, GBrad said:

@J P Mashoke what does the obverse look like on the same area? Can you post a good pic of that area please?

Nothing wrong on the obverse except scratches and dings 

S20211029_0010.jpg

S20211029_0011.jpg

S20211029_0009.jpg

On 10/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, GBrad said:

Going to have to go with PMD here J P........ Just MHO.

I know I was thinking the same thing but with the  file scratches on the edge you would think there would be metal missing not extra metal 

S20211029_0012.jpg

S20211029_0013.jpg

I was thinking PMD for sure but then I got to looking at your pics.  Especially your third original pic.  The rim is still fully intact and raised above the 'grooved' looking file mark damage at the top and bottom of the pic where the damage is but even so "within" the damaged area, if that makes sense.  I'm now thinking this may be something else, possible related to a VERY very minor clipped planchet but not exactly sure. There's no way someone could file this down in this manner yet leave the visible rim intact and free of damage.  Very odd and interesting.  

I erased the last comment I made that you quoted.....lol.  Here are the areas I am talking about that are odd (circled in green).  It's very easy to just write something off as PMD but if you really look at things closely there sometimes comes the question as to "how could this have happened at the mint.... or, did it happen at the mint... or, how was this messed with after it left the mint"?  You can see the rim is clearly intact and the grooved damage is within the rim.  Not sure how someone could have filed this down without damaging what's left of the rim.  

S20211029_0007.jpg.e5aab9810ada860b3f255769cb6e8480.jpg

On 10/29/2021 at 8:58 PM, GBrad said:

I was thinking PMD for sure but then I got to looking at your pics.  Especially your third original pic.  The rim is still fully intact and raised above the 'grooved' looking file mark damage at the top and bottom of the pic where the damage is but even so "within" the damaged area, if that makes sense.  I'm now thinking this may be something else, possible related to a VERY very minor clipped planchet but not exactly sure. There's no way someone could file this down in this manner yet leave the visible rim intact and free of damage.  Very odd and interesting.  

Agreed that is why I said Odd Cud LoL after looking at the edge more it looks like there may be a crack in it also not sure if you can see it. I find weird stuff :D  It may be just a scratch .

S20211029_0014.jpg

S20211029_0015.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

@J P Mashoke I did some digging on this coin for you.  I am fairly convinced this is not PMD at this point.  There are some factors associated with your coin that simply takes me away from it being damaged after it left the mint.  I started thinking that it may have been some type of blanking error, upsetting error, or planchet error or even some type of striking error.  I may be way out of line here but I did find this on error-ref.com (link below).  I don't think your coin falls into this same exact error category of the supplied reference but possibly something similar. Your coin's grooves do resemble the appearance of the grooves pictured at the bottom of the page so maybe there is a possibility you have an error......  Hopefully we have an error expert here on the forum that has knowledge on uncommon things like this. This is outside of my pay grade and beyond my limit of knowledge on this one.....:).

https://www.error-ref.com/interstrike-damage-page/

On 10/29/2021 at 10:06 PM, GBrad said:

@J P Mashoke I did some digging on this coin for you.  I am fairly convinced this is not PMD at this point.  There are some factors associated with your coin that simply takes me away from it being damaged after it left the mint.  I started thinking that it may have been some type of blanking error, upsetting error, or planchet error or even some type of striking error.  I may be way out of line here but I did find this on error-ref.com (link below).  I don't think your coin falls into this same exact error category of the supplied reference but possibly something similar. Your coin's grooves do resemble the appearance of the grooves pictured at the bottom of the page so maybe there is a possibility you have an error......  Hopefully we have an error expert here on the forum that has knowledge on uncommon things like this. This is outside of my pay grade and beyond my limit of knowledge on this one.....:).

https://www.error-ref.com/interstrike-damage-page/

Thanks for taking a look GBrad that does look like the same marks. Oh well. Until someone who may have seen this type of error before chimes in or I fide a example on-line. I will put it in the Odd & Error cent box. As you can see we have a few coins filed away. ;)

Odd & Error.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Does the disturbed area, and marks, seamlessly disappear into the field or is there a separation? I wonder if those marks are a match to the reeding on another coin? They don't look like file marks to me, to evenly spaced, clean and deep. Reeding from another coin is what popped in my head. Not saying it's not an error, just my observations. (thumbsu

On 10/30/2021 at 8:15 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Does the disturbed area, and marks, seamlessly disappear into the field or is there a separation? I wonder if those marks are a match to the reeding on another coin? They don't look like file marks to me, to evenly spaced, clean and deep. Reeding from another coin is what popped in my head. Not saying it's not an error, just my observations. (thumbsu

I know what you are saying Mike it was also a thought I had but holding side by side the smallest reeded coin a dime is still much larger than the marks on the coin and they run on a angle. You would think a hit that hard would also change the rim but it looks ok it is almost like it had a cud and someone took a chisel and chopped it off. I know that is imposable that is why I was thinking a quick attempt to repair a bad die. This is a real head scratcher kinda fun though 

S20211030_0001.jpg

S20211030_0002.jpg