• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Penny Double die Obverse and reverse Feedback?

12 posts in this topic

Go to the following sites to look for an EXACT match.  If you're looking for doubled dies, you should have these bookmarked and they should be your first stop.

Www.varietyvista.com. (as recommended above)

Www.doubleddie.com

FWIW  looks like minor MD to me

On 10/27/2021 at 7:51 AM, Dejone Maxwell said:

In the date "1973" look at the "973" compared to the "1"

Yes that could be Mechanical Doubling or Die Deterioration Doubling I don't see a listing on Vista for a DD on the date like that. 

On 10/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, Dejone Maxwell said:

Good find??

If you found it abandoned, sure, you would have acquired a free cent. Seriously though, a coin such as you describe is not known, I'd say it doesn't exist, but a guy can hope right. There are a few known DDO's that no TPG's recognize, and they are so minor I doubt that anyone could positively identify them using the above pics. It looks like a decent enough place holder for an album though. (thumbsu

Now, where are Kurt's eye poking needles.....

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Grammar

On 10/27/2021 at 10:35 AM, Mohawk said:

I'm not seeing anything special here.  It just looks like regular old 1973 cent to me.

I agree, and pretty beat up at that..... but at least it's a Red!!!! :)

Edited by GBrad

On 10/27/2021 at 12:50 PM, GBrad said:

I agree, and pretty beat up at that..... but at least it's a Red!!!! :)

Soooooo much chatter on that baby!

Just some strike doubling, the reverse die looks ever so slightly MAD (a term for when the die is not perfectly centered).   Note how the rim is very thin on one side and thicker on the other, this likely caused the coin to move as it was struck which resulted in the strike doubling to be more noticeable on the obv.   Its an interesting find that shows some of the striking anomalies that happen but none of it adds any value or makes the coin collectable as an error. 

Edited by Coinbuf

Im definately not experienced enough to call it but id like to take a stab at it. Ive been learning a whole lot here for a couple years. With the pictures provided it looks like it was struck from a worn die giving it that doubling effect. Once you see a couple true dd coins in hand you will learn the differance in them pretty quickly.