• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Cleaning
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm sure this is a common topic, and maybe bored with it.  

I was told that the least destructive way to clean a coin was soap (not detergent) and water.  I'm finding out that not everyone agrees.  I don't want to sink a bunch of money into cleaning gear for my pocket change.  But I would not mind a little bit at a time.

Ok... I know about Baking Soda, aluminum foil and dunk the silver in it.  It does a great job, but it is destructive to collectable coins. (just say no - unless you want to impress the grandkids.) I'm sure boiling everything in sulfuric acid will clean it too - permanently! (ok...I'm a little off the rails...smile guys - I wasn't serious.)

How about non silver coins?  What is the most common practicum?  Any recommended web sites?

God Bless,

Chris

Hi Alex,

Gotcha!  I agree with not cleaning them for the most part.  However, I discovered a Mercury Dime that was covered in grunge, years ago.  I kept it, and recently washed it in water to discover the 1928 date.  It still has a lot of guuk on it (looks like tar) but who knows what else I may uncover on this coin.  (Maybe President Coolidge signed it.  LOL!)  I'll try some lighter fluid - unless you guys DON'T recommend that.

But getting back to your 'not cleaning' point: I believe you are right.  There is a degree of risk in scratching an already old coin, or wearing it out more.  Sometimes the guuk is not too bad and not worth the effort.

Has anyone had any luck with sonic Cleaners?  Or Ezest Coin Cleaner?

Ezest Coin Cleaner?

When I lived in California, the dealer I went to out there was able to get some pretty good results with EZest and hazy modern Proof coins.  Keep in mind that this guy was extremely skilled and in over 22 years of participating in this hobby as an adult, he's still the only person I know of who I would say has the skills to really work with that stuff and actually improve coins.  Basically, I'd put it like this.....if you're the kind of person with the skills to use EZest and actually improve coins, you wouldn't have to ask about doing so on the NGC Boards :wink:

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

The other day I watched a YouTube video about coin polishing with a dremel tool. He tried to polish off a carbon spot on a copper round and completely ruined it in my opinion. I recently sold a Mexico peso coin to a jeweler who makes necklaces using old coins and he is highly skilled at whatever he does in cleaning coins for his jewelry.

Hey Modwriter!

Good Heavens!!!  I use a Dremel frequently with model building, (not on coins) and it can easily get away from the user.  Even at slow speeds some bits and polishing wheels just melt plastic, and cooks wood.  Imagine what it will do to a Morgan!  Good thing it was a cheap copper round.  By comparison, I'm glad to be called a 'Newbie" - not "Stupid"!  LOL!

Hi Mohawk,

I used to live in Upstate NY too, (Rome).

I'll probably try Ezest later on some local tokens to see if it is any good.  These tokens are just punched aluminum or zinc/tin - so nothing to worry about.  But to follow the line of thinking from the more experienced, I'll take the advice of leaving the coin in it's natural state unless it is necessary to determine something unusual about it.  Still if needed, I'll have the practice using it.  

Thanks all, and God Bless,

Chris

On 10/20/2021 at 3:05 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

Hi Mohawk,

I used to live in Upstate NY too, (Rome).

I'll probably try Ezest later on some local tokens to see if it is any good.  These tokens are just punched aluminum or zinc/tin - so nothing to worry about.  But to follow the line of thinking from the more experienced, I'll take the advice of leaving the coin in it's natural state unless it is necessary to determine something unusual about it.  Still if needed, I'll have the practice using it.  

Thanks all, and God Bless,

Chris

Hi Chris!!

I'm always up to meet someone who used to live in my little corner of the world....I haven't been to Rome in years.  I had a friend who lived out there about 20 years ago and I'd go out there and see him from time to time, but we lost touch....you know how it is when you're young.....things and people come and go so fast.  I think if you want to experiment with EZest, using low value items is a good place to start.  You can also use coins from pocket change.....then, if your EZest experiment goes awry (and some will.....I've seen some crazy things happen with that stuff!), you can just put the coins back out into circulation.  But it's typically better to leave coins in their natural states, as you stated.

Best of Luck!

~Tom

Hi again PowerMad,

Thank you for your advice which I will take.

At this stage, I'm really only experimenting with pocket change.  Occasionally I get an anomaly, but still nothing like an ASE or real silver coin.  All advice is to not rub the coin (it's not Ali-Baba - so a Genie won't pop out!), and certainly no chemicals.  Yup - I'm all over that!

But, I have seen some really beautiful things in NGC slabs and wonder how it got so clean without damage or a "cleaned" tagged onto the label.  Ok... call it lust, greed, envy, etc., but mostly curiosity.  

Everybody has been so kind to answer my questions and educate me.  When I was 15, I knew everything.  Now I'm 65 and starting over.  Duh!!  :grin: Thanks again.

God Bless,

Chris

On 10/22/2021 at 11:59 AM, Mikhail2400 said:

Ive seen someone reference "dipping" coins several times but I have no idea what they are talking about. Dip them in what? 

Hi Mike, 

They're referring to using chemical cleaners like EZest and MS70.  This kind of stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/EZEST-Coin-Cleaner-5oz-jar/dp/B000YQ6GXU

https://www.amazon.com/MS-70-oz-Coin-Cleaner-Bottle/dp/B000YQBZPE

On 10/22/2021 at 10:59 AM, Mikhail2400 said:

Ive seen someone reference "dipping" coins several times but I have no idea what they are talking about. Dip them in what? 

Any of a gazillion “soups” that contain thiourea and an acid. EZest is EXTREMELY HARMFUL to coins due to the obscene strength of the acid used. Stay away from that garbage!

On 10/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, Alex in PA. said:

This is NOT a video I would follow, like EVER. For me, you can dip that video in the commode. Using paper towels??? Not just no, haaaayull no!  Ben the coin geek? More like Ben the coin I-d-I-o-t.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/22/2021 at 5:24 PM, VKurtB said:

you can dip that video in the commode.

:pullhair:

On 10/22/2021 at 12:29 PM, Mohawk said:

Thanks for posting that, Alex!!

VKurtB didn't like it and said mean things.  He used to be so nice when he lived in Pennsylvania.

Well... It happened.  I just got a 1969-S Proof from a major Coin Dealer today.  Based on what I have learned from this chat board in the last few days, I see clearly it has been cleaned.  Unfortunately, the cleaner was not removed properly.  Someone above (or in the video) mentioned "Spots".  JFK has the measles! Look beside the "I", is that another bullet hole? (Sorry - that was tacky!)  The Mint Mark is Rusted!  Look at the inside of the rim at the rust,  Oh...very disappointing.  I'll call them on Monday and see if they will swap with one that was better cared for.

Kennedy.jpg

On 10/22/2021 at 5:02 PM, Alex in PA. said:

:pullhair:

VKurtB didn't like it and said mean things.  He used to be so nice when he lived in Pennsylvania.

I will repeat again - EZest is DANGEROUS to coins. The acid is unduly harsh. There is no need for anything that nasty. One can get anhydrous thiourea and mix it with citric acid and get BETTER results with far less damage to the coin’s surface.

Plus, 11 bucks for that little jar? Please. May as well flush U.S. currency down the commode. Or go to a Starbucks. No difference.

Edited by VKurtB

Hi VKurtB,

You sold me on 'not cleaning coins' and I was using the Kennedy to support your position - which (lessons learned) I'm in full agreement.  Very disappointed with MCM and their coin cleaning.  I was sucked into it (a 1969 S Proof for $10 - yeah - I'll do that!), to complete an order of some other goodies (which were good).  Again, they will probably exchange it as they are a prominent company.  I'm sure this isn't the first time they tried to sell it.

But to everyone else - DON'T CLEAN COINS with harsh stuff!  A beautiful Proof coin is now worth 50 cents!  NEVER clean a Proof!  

God Bless,

Chris

Hi,  For those following this line on the Kennedy above, I contacted the dealer early this morning (MCM), and they gave me a full refund and told me to keep the coin.  Ok...  I'm a satisfied customer.  I'll keep the coin in it's flip that it came in, and document the circumstances (history) for the G-kids.

BIG lesson learned about coin cleaning and the tragedies without cost to me.  You guys are awesome.  (thumbsu ***** (5 Stars)

God Bless, Chris

Now (heaven help me) if you ever get into Ancient coins, they are ALL cleaned and they should be. The standards are just that radically different. Of course, encountering Ancient coins in the ground in the USA would be a news story all its own.