• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are INB Slabs legit?

24 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2021 at 7:31 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

Ehh nvm guys I think i’ve found the answer. It’s pretty clear on the internet should’ve dug just a little harder before posting.

It sounds like you found the answer to that one, my friend!!! They're problematic.  As far as people that certify ancients, NGC is definitely the top dog, but ANACS is fine for ancients if you find a coin you like graded by them.  ICG used to grade ancients, but I don't believe they do any longer.  I heard that their ancient people went to ANACS, so since it's the same people, I think ICG ancients are okay too.  I'd feel comfortable buying an ancient coin from any of the three.  Anyone else isn't reputable, so treat the coin as raw if you see a coin you like graded by another service.  Don't pay a premium for the grading.  Now, please keep in mind that my stances regarding the grading services only apply to ancient coins and no other area of numismatics.  

Edited by Mohawk
Sometimes I make horrible grammar mistakes for a guy with a doctorate...sorry about that!!

On 10/7/2021 at 7:18 PM, Mohawk said:

It sounds like you found the answer to that one, my friend!!! They're problematic.  As far as people that certify ancients, NGC is definitely the top dog, but ANACS is fine for ancients if you find a coin you like graded by them.  ICG used to grade ancients, but I don't believe they do any longer.  I heard that their ancient people went to ANACS, so since it's the same people, I think ICG ancients are okay too.  I'd feel comfortable buying an ancient coin from any of the three.  Anyone else isn't reputable, so treat the coin as raw if you see a coin you like graded by another service.  Don't pay a premium for the grading.  Now, please keep in mind that my stances regarding the grading services only applies to ancient coins and no other area of numismatics.  

Yep lol luckily this was an extra from a lot of coins I bought and so is not a total loss, but the info on the grading companies in super appreciated I haven’t seen anything graded by either yet but I’m sure I will I’ve got a lot of years of collecting ahead of me 😂 and i totally agree about not always paying for a premium 

Edited by imperatorcoaticus97

On 10/7/2021 at 8:18 PM, Mohawk said:

NGC is definitely the top dog,

For Ancient coins this is a pure fact.  I've been studying up on ancients because I want to pick up a some.  Every forum I go to on this says NGC is the best for Ancients.  

So since the case is worthless, should I crack it? Curious about the coin inside because I didn’t buy it and the label just says “constantine the great era” and looks like a woman so it has intrigued me

Just goes to show you that looks can be deceiving. The high quality snap together slab, the snug fitting slab core that securely allows the coin to rattle around, and the insert with faded state of the art dot matrix printing all would have had me fooled into thinking it was a legit TPG. (shrug)

On 10/8/2021 at 6:32 AM, Alex in PA. said:

For Ancient coins this is a pure fact.  I've been studying up on ancients because I want to pick up a some.  Every forum I go to on this says NGC is the best for Ancients.  

are you mostly a U.S. coinage collector? I highly recommend acquiring some ancient coins, whatever you're favorite civ. 

On 10/8/2021 at 4:44 PM, RWB said:

IF a slabber's office is built on a slab, can they be a true basement slabber? Could they use a Kansas tornado shelter and be a "sheltered slabber?"

So it's totally cool if I crack this case right? Because it's a b.s. company? 

On 10/8/2021 at 3:28 PM, gmarguli said:

Just goes to show you that looks can be deceiving. The high quality snap together slab, the snug fitting slab core that securely allows the coin to rattle around, and the insert with faded state of the art dot matrix printing all would have had me fooled into thinking it was a legit TPG. (shrug)

Luckily I didn't spend any money on this one, just came extra with some loose roman coins Idk your experience level but I see you're a seasoned vet, you really think this case could fool you? I'm legitimately curious because honestly it looked fake to me from the get go bc it looks so faded I mean the dude can't even buy himself a new ink cartridge lmao, but, I've only dealt with NGC slabs. Not versed on any other company atm 

On 10/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

So it's totally cool if I crack this case right? Because it's a b.s. company? 

Completely cool, my friend.  Destroy that sucker!

On 10/8/2021 at 6:03 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

Luckily I didn't spend any money on this one, just came extra with some loose roman coins Idk your experience level but I see you're a seasoned vet, you really think this case could fool you? I'm legitimately curious because honestly it looked fake to me from the get go bc it looks so faded I mean the dude can't even buy himself a new ink cartridge lmao, but, I've only dealt with NGC slabs. Not versed on any other company atm 

Sarcasm alert.jpg

On 10/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, Mohawk said:

Completely cool, my friend.  Destroy that sucker!

Dude get this. Cracked it very easily with a light tap of a hammer, and it exploded and shot the coin away. Still can’t find it lol and it was just a tap! hahaha I wish my fiancé had recorded it lol 

On 10/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

Dude get this. Cracked it very easily with a light tap of a hammer, and it exploded and shot the coin away. Still can’t find it lol and it was just a tap! hahaha I eosh my fiancé had recorded it lol 

Oh man.....it exploded like that?!!! I wish you had taken video of it.......and I hope you find the coin!

Edited by Mohawk

Yes!! Literally launched the coin somewhere. Still haven't found it, it will show up though. All it took is one soft bang with the hammer and the whole case basically shot open and launched the coin LOL 

On 10/9/2021 at 2:48 PM, Mohawk said:

Oh man.....it exploded like that?!!! I wish you had taken video of it.......and I hope you find the coin!

On 10/8/2021 at 6:32 AM, Alex in PA. said:

what are you looking to pick up, ancients wise? ancients are the only thing I collect and it will probably stay that way. I honestly don't understand the appeal of modern coins.. just me in MOI