• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880o morgan grading "?"

24 posts in this topic

First and foremost id like to apologize for my temper and mouth my last post couple weeks back. Was having a bad day and the advice i was given didnt set well with my day. Yet thats still no excuse i will control that from now on and i really do appreciate all advice negative and positive. NOW is this morgan worth sending in to be graded and slabbed before trying to sell it? Or should i just try sell it raw?? 

20211001_161602(1).jpg

20211001_161707(1).jpg

On 10/1/2021 at 5:04 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

A nice looker for sure 

Thank you Mr. Bill that look did come with a price tag though..boy was my wife pissed off when i told her. Thats why im gonna sell it so can buy her some jewelry or something idk anything to get off the sofa and back in my bed

Edited by JAnsley

On 10/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

Yeah no sense in sending that one off. Ill tell you what Ill do, since im feeling generous today ill give you $10 over melt value and ill tell you the joke about the Nun and the Uber ride.:baiting:

Lmao...the joke sounds good but ill have to pass on OFFER unfortunately ive got more than that invested in it. TBH i probably spent more than its worth..thats why curious to what it may gradeso i can put a value number on it. 

On 10/1/2021 at 8:26 PM, Mohawk said:

JAnsley....I should ask if you're having a better day before I share my thoughts on that coin.

Yes mowak iam.. And also i do apologize for my actions the other day. And i want you to KNOW i appreciate and value your opinion

That's okay, JAnsley.  We all have bad days.....I've been known to have a few of them myself :wink:.  Here's the thing......the toning on that coin doesn't look quite right to me.  I'm afraid that it may have been artificially toned.  Of course, it could be an aspect of the photos, which are good photos but coins can look different in photos than they do in hand, even with good photos.  I could be wrong, and I sincerely hope I am, but I do have concerns about the coin.

Make that three amigos. AU and I’m going to go a step further on color and go on and say artificially toned. The picture could look worse than the actual coin because of light and angle, but I’m more than questioning the color. 

On 10/1/2021 at 11:36 PM, JAnsley said:

ill post different picks thanks guys

Cool....we'll see what we think when the new pics are up.

@Mohawk @Woods020 @Coinbuf thank yall but now yall have me worried cause ive got more than i should tied up in this coin so hopefully this helps if not im gonna ha e to send it in just to be able to sell it. Cause if the next guy sends it in and it is questionable then i couldnt sleep at night but anyhow here you guys go new photos  and again thank y'all!!! y'all input really means alot. Differnt backgrounds lighting changes slight angles variations if need more or somthing differnt please ask and again thanks

20211001_224307(1).jpg

20211001_224033(1).jpg

20211001_223932(1).jpg

20211001_224611(1).jpg

20211001_224307(1).jpg

20211001_223932(1).jpg

20211001_224322(1).jpg

And to think all i was really wanting to know if it would grade at least an ms63 so could get my money back out of it toning never crossed my mind as ive seen some wild.  $#!÷ graded as far as toning goes

Hi JAnsley.....I hate to say it, but I'm still feeling it's artificial toning.  It can be tricky at first to discern natural and artificial toning, which is why I'd recommend newbies stay away from raw toned coins until they've got a little more experience under their belts with that whole thing.  What I would recommend is trying to look at as many toned coins which have graded with NGC and PCGS as you can and really examine them....take in how they look, their characteristics.....all of that stuff.  It should definitely help.  It's never bad to look at a lot of coins anyway.....you learn a little more with each coin that you examine.

I’m not the authority on artificial versus natural toning and will readily admit that. To my non authoritative eye there are just some areas I don’t like as being natural. But someone who is much more versed may come in and say it is fine. 

The good news is artificial toning will usually come off pretty easily with a quick dip. 

I did not want to jump on the band wagon on this coin but a few long time coin dealers have said to me to stay away from the blue coins most of them are not naturally toned blue is the easiest tone to create. Sorry J just wanted you to know my findings through the coin jungle world.  

On 10/2/2021 at 8:42 AM, Jblindy said:

Here’s a great website on toned Morgan’s. I was looking at an ungraded toned Morgan on eBay, so of course I went on my research rampage.

You may have already seen it, but if not, here you go. 
https://www.monstertonedmorgans.com/all-about-toned-morgans

Thank you and if im reading this rite then my coin is natrually toned please see attached 

Screenshot_20211002-101735.png

On 10/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, JAnsley said:

Thank you and if im reading this rite then my coin is natrually toned please see attached

If you are asking me…I’m going to have to respectfully decline to answer. I am far, far removed from being able to give any sort of qualifying answer as I am a new collector myself. I am interested in Morgan’s because I found one in a small collection of coins I got from my mom when she passed away. That and I think the Morgan is a beautiful coin.  I was looking through eBay a few weeks ago and found a very nice looking ungraded toned Morgan. Of course I had to research it. Based on my research, particularly the article referenced above, I decided not to purchase. 
I think your best bet would be to take it to a qualified dealer and let them physically look at it, because some of the pictures you posted scream artificial, while others make me scratch my head and wonder if it might possibly be the real deal. But like I said, I’m just a new collector trying to learn the ropes myself. 

On 10/2/2021 at 11:08 AM, Jblindy said:

If you are asking me…I’m going to have to respectfully decline to answer. I am far, far removed from being able to give any sort of qualifying answer as I am a new collector myself. I am interested in Morgan’s because I found one in a small collection of coins I got from my mom when she passed away. That and I think the Morgan is a beautiful coin.  I was looking through eBay a few weeks ago and found a very nice looking ungraded toned Morgan. Of course I had to research it. Based on my research, particularly the article referenced above, I decided not to purchase. 
I think your best bet would be to take it to a qualified dealer and let them physically look at it, because some of the pictures you posted scream artificial, while others make me scratch my head and wonder if it might possibly be the real deal. But like I said, I’m just a new collector trying to learn the ropes myself. 

Ive been in the hobby for awhile just untill recent ive always just dealt with copper only the past year have i gotten interested in silver coinage