• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this considered ethical? How do they get by NGC?
1 1

67 posts in this topic

I sold two items to someone and he did something to them and then sent them to NGC and now he is reselling them.

My listings: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403046556866

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403086237791

His listings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185068890161

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185072612143

Edited by Jerry Picker

It's called capitalism and other than with a few left-wing loonies, it's considered 100% ethical. 

He removed some dirt and oxidation by using MS70. The TPG allow this as it does not harm the coin. 

[Unsolited editorial comment some may find offensive and defamatory...]

One member's got 2 HOURS in.  The other's got nearly 20 YEARS.

ME THINKS IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:04 PM, Jerry Picker said:

....... Capitalism? SMH

A coin graded by a top tier TPG like NGC will fetch more than if it was sold raw. The seller did what he had to do (including sending them in for grading) and taking the risk (could have gotten details grade). He has generated much greater wealth in this process. I guess Capitalism in this sense of the word.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:12 PM, Jerry Picker said:

@Quintus ArriusWow!! He's been a "member" for 20 years. I've been collecting, selling, buying coins for over 40. What's your point?

I dont understand why you would think that persons actions were unethical. He bought a token, restored it a bit and then paid to have it slabbed, which increased its sale value. You could have done the same thing he did and with over 40 years "collecting, selling, buying coins" it would seem to me to be a logical step for you to take.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:04 PM, Jerry Picker said:

What does politics have to do with it? I'll admit I use Blu-Bow but it doesn't chemically change the surface of the coin or make it appear to have original mint luster. Capitalism? SMH

nothing to do with ethics, nothing different than sending the coins in for conservation n grading....no big deal.....

On 10/1/2021 at 5:56 PM, gmarguli said:

It's called capitalism and other than with a few left-wing loonies, it's considered 100% ethical. 

He removed some dirt and oxidation by using MS70. The TPG allow this as it does not harm the coin. 

Why does this need to be political?  It's a freaking coin board. Can't we just leave political garbage out of it?

Edited by Mohawk

@zadok Sorry, but, me and a lot of others on a couple of coin chats, disagree. It's not conserving, it's enhancing. If I sent the coin in as it was, would I have gotten the grade he received? Especially the MS66 which is totally outrageous. 

@Mikhail2400  I guess us old timers and serious collectors are behind the times. We never thought of altering coins to make a profit. We take the coins as they are, which we think look fine. Pretty soon all you'll see are all blue-brown coins in plastic holders. It's a shame.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:52 PM, Jerry Picker said:

@zadok Sorry, but, me and a lot of others on a couple of coin chats, disagree. It's not conserving, it's enhancing. If I sent the coin in as it was, would I have gotten the grade he received? Especially the MS66 which is totally outrageous. 

u asked a question u got answers...if u dont like them or agree not our problem...if u dont want buyers to resell ur coins dont sell them....

On 10/1/2021 at 8:18 PM, zadok said:

u asked a question u got answers...if u dont like them or agree not our problem...if u dont want buyers to resell ur coins dont sell them....

Yep.  You nailed it zadok. I'm a buyer and reseller myself.  I buy mint and proof sets, send the nicest coins in them and the good varieties off for grading at NGC and I sell them.  It's how I fund my Faustina collection.  And I certainly don't feel that I am unethical for doing that.

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/1/2021 at 8:48 PM, Revenant said:

It's worth pointing out that you wouldn't conserve art or anything unless you expected to enhance it and make it so that it can be enjoyed more and longer.

That said, part of your question was "how did this get by NGC?" The answer would seem to be that NGC and their sister NCS are not hypocrits and do not details grade people for something they themselves probably do some version of, if done well.

Not true. Art is cleaned often without enhancement. It’s more about keeping it from damage over time. I’m staying out of the coin debate but museums have teams of people who clean and preserve pieces with no intention of improving. They simply want it to stay as is for as long as possible. 

So as of now, He paid you 389 for the Indian head, and the bid is 330.

Plus, he paid for grading. Unless the bid goes way higher, he is losing money.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:04 PM, Woods020 said:

Not true. Art is cleaned often without enhancement. It’s more about keeping it from damage over time. I’m staying out of the coin debate but museums have teams of people who clean and preserve pieces with no intention of improving. They simply want it to stay as is for as long as possible. 

The word conservation - as opposed to preservation - includes repair as well as simple preservation. 

On 10/2/2021 at 7:24 AM, Alex in PA. said:

Oh my gawd; another one!  doh!

i suggest we now call this the ngc forum n corrida....wasnt caesar assassinated in the forum?...ironic that brutus denarius sells for more than caesar denarius, just to keep topic numismatically grounded....

On 10/2/2021 at 11:22 AM, zadok said:

ironic that brutus denarius sells for more than caesar denarius,

Big Juli really got a bum deal.  Murdered by folks he liked and now history is going cheap on him.  :ohnoez:

On 10/2/2021 at 12:34 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Big Juli really got a bum deal.  Murdered by folks he liked and now history is going cheap on him.  :ohnoez:

Yeah, he did.  Caesar totally got the shaft.  Things went a whole lot better for his great-nephew though.

Edited by Mohawk