• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larger date or small date 1982 D pennies
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2021 at 5:27 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, please read the posting rules and help us to help you by providing full obv and rev photos of the coin.

Yep.  We need full obverse and reverse photos.  These magnified photos of just a part of the coin are little to no help at all.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:48 PM, Coinbuf said:

Here is a handy reference pic put together by one of our forum members @Greenstang, notice that the distance from the rim is one of the PUP's.

82D sm and lg.jpg

That is great.  Thank you.  I have uc rolls of 1960-1961-several but only one roll 1982D uc.  I am sure in collectors terms I am a very small beginner after inheriting my dads collection.  I am guessing 4-5,000 total coins. 

What do people us to take good pictures of coins?  My IPhone 12 plus will not take micros  and my scope you cannot see the full coins.  I am considering sending some in for grading and auction.  Does anyone have any suggestions or input where and when to do this?

These are subjective terms which, to me, have no meaning at all.  Certainly in the past forty (40) years the then director of the branch mint must have issued a formal explanation as to exactly why this was permitted to occur.  What's @RWB have to say about all this? A die change?  How many were produced?  How was the utility of the coin affected?  Were any rejected by vending machines?  Did a store keeper somewhere reject it?  What other countries in the world recognize this?  Much ado about nothing...

On 9/30/2021 at 3:08 PM, Richard Kennedy said:

What do people us to take good pictures of coins?  My IPhone 12 plus will not take micros  and my scope you cannot see the full coins.  I am considering sending some in for grading and auction.  Does anyone have any suggestions or input where and when to do this?

That is surprising as my daughter is always telling how amazing her apple products are :roflmao:.   Are you sure the phone does not have a macro setting?  Even my very old S8 Samsung has that feature.   There are a few threads here on taking photos with cell phones but you would need to do a search which is not always easy.   I have this thread bookmarked and it may have some replies on cell phone photos.

Lighting

Generally if you take a stack of books and place the phone on them with the camera hanging over the edge, use a couple of lights and the timer feature in the phone you should be able to take decent photos.   Just crop and make sure the photos are oriented properly before posting. 

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/30/2021 at 5:55 PM, Richard Kennedy said:

Yes, I am sure the new IPhone 12 and 12plus do not do macro.  Very disappointed in a $1000 phone.  Apple is supposedly working on a fix.  Three cameras and no macro.  Unreal. 

Only the newest iPhone 13 series does Macro, and I believe only on the Pro models. Macro requires either a dedicated lens, or a lens that does extreme z-axis movements within the lens, which would be a reliability nightmare. Physics still applies. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/30/2021 at 6:02 PM, Richard Kennedy said:

That is great.  Thank you.  I have uc rolls of 1960-1961-several but only one roll 1982D uc.  I am sure in collectors terms I am a very small beginner after inheriting my dads collection.  I am guessing 4-5,000 total coins. 

Welcome to the forum Richard. Looks like you will be looking at a lot of coins. It looks like we all agree it is a small date 82 D Now the question no one has asked is it copper ? How much does it weigh ?

Edited by J P Mashoke