• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Chat Board Offline 10am ET for Maintenance

9 posts in this topic

Good morning, Ms. S,

You seem to be a knowledgeable person so I shall direct just one of the seven somewhat infuriating problems I have been experiencing, of late, to you (in the first person).

Briefly, in the heat of the @Alex in PA. brouhaha, I began to write a comment that would do justice to any mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper.  In mid-sentence, I experienced an irresistible impulse to check the spelling of a word not ordinarily used in its usual context.  When I returned to the column, during which six more comments had been added, I discovered it was deleted and apparently unrecoverable.  One keystroke is all it took to obliterate and reduce to mere rumor a truly magnificent comment I had worked on for seemingly an hour.

This is was not the first time this happened but in two prior incidents I was confronted with choices which I deem to be ambiguous:  Your prior content was restored followed by an underlined clear editor. And an unadorned X in the right hand corner. Either choice chosen, separately at different times, resulted in a complete and total deletion, with no opportunity of recovery.  The prior losses were minor.  But two classic diatribes dripping with hints of sophisticated sarcasm (likely worth $3.7 million on the open market: "The Best of Quintus," ) were lost forever.

The hullabaloo over yesterday's brouhaha which lasted barely three pages did not require intervention.  We're talking occasional flare-ups or brushfires which peter out with a booster hose. Everyone attuned to the thread found it to be unusual, instructive and most revealing.  It may not have been as valuable as the information imparted in the "S-G" now book length thread with @GoldFinger1969 as helmsman, but I am sure you will agree occasional intervention is just as effective as outright censorship.  The important thing is all participants survived to see another day. (All this over a bunch of small change!) You yourself have been around long enough to know when to call a time out.

I thank you for your time and attention.

Quintus Arrius.  🐓 

On 10/12/2021 at 10:28 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Briefly, in the heat of the @Alex in PA. brouhaha,

Now that you've outed me to Dena for starting that insufficiently_thoughtful_person stick fiasco yesterday that just about finishes my stay here.  I had nothing to do with the arrogant fools who started, then kept whining and crying like a bunch of First graders yesterday.  

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:28 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Good morning, Ms. S,

You seem to be a knowledgeable person so I shall direct just one of the seven somewhat infuriating problems I have been experiencing, of late, to you (in the first person).

Briefly, in the heat of the @Alex in PA. brouhaha, I began to write a comment that would do justice to any mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper.  In mid-sentence, I experienced an irresistible impulse to check the spelling of a word not ordinarily used in its usual context.  When I returned to the column, during which six more comments had been added, I discovered it was deleted and apparently unrecoverable.  One keystroke is all it took to obliterate and reduce to mere rumor a truly magnificent comment I had worked on for seemingly an hour.

This is was not the first time this happened but in two prior incidents I was confronted with choices which I deem to be ambiguous:  Your prior content was restored followed by an underlined clear editor. And an unadorned X in the right hand corner. Either choice chosen, separately at different times, resulted in a complete and total deletion, with no opportunity of recovery.  The prior losses were minor.  But two classic diatribes dripping with hints of sophisticated sarcasm (likely worth $3.7 million on the open market: "The Best of Quintus," ) were lost forever.

The hullabaloo over yesterday's brouhaha which lasted barely three pages did not require intervention.  We're talking occasional flare-ups or brushfires which peter out with a booster hose. Everyone attuned to the thread found it to be unusual, instructive and most revealing.  It may not have been as valuable as the information imparted in the "S-G" now book length thread with @GoldFinger1969 as helmsman, but I am sure you will agree occasional intervention is just as effective as outright censorship.  The important thing is all participants survived to see another day. (All this over a bunch of small change!) You yourself have been around long enough to know when to call a time out.

I thank you for your time and attention.

Quintus Arrius.  🐓 

...my only question is..."can a brouhaha have a hullabaloo"?.....is there a redbook on this?....

Hello @dena I still have not been able to log into the boards from Chrome/Duckduckgo so I am wondering if there is something that I can do to fix that or if it's something on NGC's end.  I am currently using MS Edge to access, but that is no ideal.  On Chrome, the boards just flash then I get the following message:

403 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: 2F2TqW5LrUKarI5trhd9z3qDUoK23S0VVIa0PFhUbyJxUX0N9liKWg==

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

On 10/13/2021 at 7:26 AM, jtryka said:

I am wondering if there is something that I can do to fix that

Couldn't Sign In with Chrome or MS Edge so I tried Opra and that worked.  Have now sent three EMails to NGC Tech.

On 9/29/2021 at 7:29 AM, dena said:

Good morning,

The NGC Chat Board will be offline today at 10am ET for maintenance. We expect this maintenance period to last no more than one hour. We apologize for this inconvenience.

The maintenance ruined the site. Have a backup?

I finally got back on after clearing the cache/cookies from Chrome (which is complicated PC work to me !! xD ) and re-logging in.

Couldn't get in for a few weeks.  LDHAIR explained to me about the work-around but it still took me 1/2 hour to get it to fix the problem. (thumbsu