• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an error of value?

13 posts in this topic

The OP was having issues loading pics on the PCGS forum so I helped him out.  One of the error dealers on that forum confirmed the grease filled area and believes the zero to be a dropped numeral error.

Now that’s pretty cool ! I haven’t seen anything like that before . Again I’m not an error coin collector , lately on here there been a lot rubbish new collectors asking if they got a double die or error coin that looks like basic circulated coin… But your coin is definitely interesting , and unique! 

This Nickel appears to have had a hard life as apparent by both the Obverse and Reverse PMD damage, dings, dents, scratches, etc..... on the entire surfaces of the coin.  Just curious as to why the 0's look so well formed and unaffected? 🤔 

On 9/28/2021 at 6:53 AM, Terrance Zamora said:

Don't know why the coin looks worn and the zeros are so well formed.  But when I look closely at it, it looks like the off zero is sunk underneath the third zero. 

It overlaps the 0 after the two but as you said is under the last 0. Its strange thats for sure

This one is a conundrum and I think has a lot going on. It does appear to be circulated but I think the harsh lighting in the pics may make it look worse than it is. Then there is definitely grease filled weak areas. On top of all that there is a dropped number from the grease filled area where a clogged 0 was released and struck into the coin. I would assume since the 0 dropped that the underlying 0 was unclogged and is appearing more sharply struck. Meaning in that area the grease fill was gone. A lot going on in one coin for sure. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:42 AM, Terrance Zamora said:

Yeah I've got to use a different light under my camera the one that came with it is super bright. 

If it’s a usb scope it’s tough. That built in light is not great. It’s a common problem with those.