• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Penny Question - Stood out!

36 posts in this topic

I found this coin today and wanted to try and get some info on it.   

Its a 1964 Penny and it has very sharp and distinguished characteristics.   The coloring was the first thing I noticed it really stands out compared to others of the same year.  The edges of it are sharper and square.  I did weigh it to check to see if it fits with where it should fall and it is 3.11 grams on the scale.  

Can anyone tell me anything about it?  Any help would be appreciated.   I am including another 64 Penny just as a side by side comparison.   

Thank you so much!

I do have more pictures if its helpful.   It just wouldn't let me load them on here.  

16325257828923494630910292933739.jpg

Hello and Welcome!

Well, from what I can see, you have a regular business strike 1964 cent that's in pretty nice condition for a circulation find.  1964 cents are very common, even today as they made 2,648,575,000 of them.  1964 dated cents were actually struck in both 1964 and 1965, but there is no way of discerning which year a 1964 cent was actually struck.  Your cent would be a nice coin for an album or folder set of Lincolns.

For most of the 1960's the mint quality was very poor, this coin displays a better than average obverse strike (we cannot comment on the reverse as you did not post it) for the date.  It does show some lite circulation and a few marks/stains on this side, so while not a coin that would be worth submitting for grading it is a very respectable coin to put an album.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:50 PM, VKurtB said:

Yet another beginner reads about so-called SMS 1964 coins and miraculously “finds one” immediately.

Those things are becoming a damned plague around here...........

On 9/24/2021 at 8:50 PM, VKurtB said:

Yet another beginner reads about so-called SMS 1964 coins and miraculously “finds one” immediately.

Except that I don't see where the OP said anything about SMS coins. They just posted a pic of a penny they thought was nice, and asked about it. Maybe we can wait to start calling out people's mistakes until they actually make them.

Thank you.  I appreciate your response.  You are correct.  I just found a coin that stood out when I was going through rolls and was just curious if anyone knew anything about it.  It was interesting to me more than anything and wanted to learn more.  

On 9/25/2021 at 9:25 AM, JKK said:

Except that I don't see where the OP said anything about SMS coins. They just posted a pic of a penny they thought was nice, and asked about it. Maybe we can wait to start calling out people's mistakes until they actually make them.

Oh please. The OP’s second paragraph is almost word for word from the description of so-called SMS coins.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:11 AM, VKurtB said:

Oh please. The OP’s second paragraph is almost word for word from the description of so-called SMS coins.

Oh please, nothing. He said nothing about SMS coins and you are well aware of that. It's not too much to ask of you to wait until people push one of your buttons for you to get in and start ridiculing them. It'll be all right, really. You'll have plenty of people to denigrate, and plenty of time to denigrate them.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, JKK said:

Oh please, nothing. He said nothing about SMS coins and you are well aware of that. It's not too much to ask of you to wait until people push one of your buttons for you to get in and start ridiculing them. It'll be all right, really. You'll have plenty of people to denigrate, and plenty of time to denigrate them.

How about you read what you want, and I’ll read what I want? Image wise there is absolutely nothing EVEN SLIGHTLY noteworthy about the OP’s 1964 cent. Only the verbal description of SMS rings true.

Edited by VKurtB

Please be kind.  Before assuming my methods please understand I was just trying to give a description to the best of my ability on what I was seeing, how it felt, looked and weighed and was going from there.  

I guess the best way I knew to get the best responses was to describe what I had in detail.  

That was all.  I'm sorry if it was taken out of context as something else.   

To me, I now know what I have and appreciate it.  Either way, its a cool coin for me to keep.  Its different. :)

On 9/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, VKurtB said:

How about you read what you want, and I’ll read what I want?

How about you stop trying to divert the topic away from what it was: you couldn't even wait for someone to make one of your more disliked mistakes before you started ridiculing. All I asked was for you to wait to start belittling until someone deserved it. You seem to think that's too much to ask. I don't think it is.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, Coinzrus413 said:

Please be kind.  Before assuming my methods please understand I was just trying to give a description to the best of my ability on what I was seeing, how it felt, looked and weighed and was going from there.  

I guess the best way I knew to get the best responses was to describe what I had in detail.  

That was all.  I'm sorry if it was taken out of context as something else.   

To me, I now know what I have and appreciate it.  Either way, its a cool coin for me to keep.  Its different. :)

All you really trying to tell me you haven’t seen literally hundreds of 1964 cents even better than this one? I just do not believe that. And I’m not going to buy some garbage about just being a beginner from someone who uses “Coinzrus” (Coins are us) as a handle. Sorry, nope, not buying it.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, VKurtB said:

All you really trying to tell me you haven’t seen literally hundreds of 1964 cents even better than this one? I just do not believe that.

I honestly have not.  I have just started going through coins a few weeks ago and is a new hobby of mine.   So honestly, I am just trying to learn.  Being that the internet is so full of false information I thought a forum would be the best place to ask to learn about coins so this was the first one I saw to ask about.  Only other coin I have really found was a 36 nickel and all I really know about it is its old lol.  

On 9/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, Coinzrus413 said:

I honestly have not.  I have just started going through coins a few weeks ago and is a new hobby of mine.   So honestly, I am just trying to learn.  Being that the internet is so full of false information I thought a forum would be the best place to ask to learn about coins so this was the first one I saw to ask about.  Only other coin I have really found was a 36 nickel and all I really know about it is its old lol.  

Then what the devil is with “coins are us”?????

On 9/25/2021 at 12:26 PM, VKurtB said:

Then what the devil is with “coins are us”?????

I had to come up with a user name and thought of a spin on toysrus and just named myself this.  Silly I know but I'm horrible at coming up with names.  

On 9/25/2021 at 11:27 AM, Coinzrus413 said:

I had to come up with a user name and thought of a spin on toysrus and just named myself this.  Silly I know but I'm horrible at coming up with names.  

Gee, do you think maybe I could use a handle that implies some level of expertise too? But no, I’ve only been doing this for 58 years.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, Coinzrus413 said:

Well now you can know that if you can read the date on your 36 nickel, it’s already in the better half of Buffalo nickels. You’re right about the Internet. The same problem sometimes applies right here.

Edited by VKurtB

Dear OP,

You should know that there once was a craze among collectors, primarily cent collectors, but others too, called the “solid BU roll collecting era”. Those guys are dying off, and their solid BU rolls of older cents are popping up all over the place at bargain basement prices. You will see red examples of all kinds of dates popping up. Nickels too. Not so much the stuff that’s silver, but those are popping up in numismatic circles as well. Cents and nickels are popping up in circulation.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, JKK said:

You're right, Jonathan.  You're absolutely right.  I apologize to you and the OP for my comment regarding "1964 SMS" coins......though I meant the comment in a very general way, I can see how it could be interpreted as contributing to calling the OP out.  I didn't mean it that way.  But I stand by it in the general way I meant it.......those things are becoming a plague around here.  This post is just another instance of it.

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/25/2021 at 10:54 AM, Mohawk said:

You're right, Jonathan.  You're absolutely right.  I apologize to you and the OP for my comment regarding "1964 SMS" coins......though I meant the comment in a very general way, I can see how it could be interpreted as contributing to calling the OP out.  I didn't mean it that way.  But I stand by it in the general way I meant it.......those things are becoming a plague around here.  This post is just another instance of it.

While they are indeed pestilential, I don't think you were attributing that to anyone. I took your response as purely general and educational. I don't think you owe any apologies.

On 9/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, JKK said:

While they are indeed pestilential, I don't think you were attributing that to anyone. I took your response as purely general and educational. I don't think you owe any apologies.

Thank you.  I was commenting on the pestilential nature of those particular beasts :)