• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question

8 posts in this topic

I bought an NGC storage box on the secondary market.  It was listed as new and came with the white box and plastic wrap/bag.  The prongs/slats on the inside are different than on my older NGC storage boxes, so my fatties won’t fit in there…not even on the ends.  Did NGC change its design or is this a counterfeit box?  

Edited by Walkerfan

It stands to reason that if you produce a product in quantity, you will also produce a product to accommodate it.

The only "generation" I am familiar with is the Pepsi one and their bottling line. My guess is someone intimately familiar with "fatties" will be able to help you.  Maybe Coinbuf.

I found the answer, on my own.  Modern Coin Mart (MCM) is also selling them.  They are obviously a new design by NGC (possibly an attempt to cut costs).  I don't like this version, as much as the older ones, but they still serve their purpose.

Edit to add: Old PCGS holders don't fit, either.  Only thing that fits are brand new NGC slabs.  I wish I'd have known about this---I wouldn't have purchased it.  I would have found an older one instead.  (tsk) :frustrated:

Edited by Walkerfan

I too have a lot old fatty NGC holders about 40-45 coins in old fatty holders I’ve been looking around for older style NGC boxes , haven’t found any yet . although I do some woodworking I plan on making my own storage boxes out of walnut or cherry wood just for my NGC fatty holders …. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet 

This is what I use. I have maybe 10 of them. 
image.thumb.jpg.a277c683101880e26f49853d4cfa56d6.jpg

The open slots are where coins currently at NGC will go. 

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtBThose are nice.  I have some, too, only smaller. 

But, I prefer the sturdiness and durability of the plastic ones.  

I have what I need, now, so I won't be getting any more.  

Edited by Walkerfan

On 9/23/2021 at 5:22 PM, Walkerfan said:

@VKurtBThose are nice.  I have some, too, only smaller. 

But, I prefer the sturdiness and durability of the plastic ones.  

I have what I need, now, so I won't be getting any more.  

These hold 50, without using the implied end slots. I also like the sturdy plastic ones, for special pieces. I even have one of the red with gold labeling, but have no idea what to put in it.

Edited by VKurtB