• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GSA from ATS

29 posts in this topic

I have a rather rather scarce GSA coin in a fully encased ATS holder that I am considering cracking out and sending to NGC because (1) I  like the look of the NGC GSAs a little better, (2) I think it may upgrade, and (3) I think and have been told that NGC GSAs do a little better in the marketplace. I have never cracked out a GSA holder from ATS so before I do, I thought I would ask some advice here. First, do you think NGC GSAs do better in the marketplace than the fully encapsulated ones ATS?  . I know NGC GSAs are more popular and I believe they present better. Should I just send it in for a cross over?  Are they easy to crack out?  I do think this coin has a reasonable chance of grading a point higher than it did ATS.

Thank you in advance.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:56 AM, TPRC said:

I have a rather rather scarce GSA coin in a fully encased ATS holder that I am considering cracking out and sending to NGC because (1) I  like the look of the NGC GSAs a little better, (2) I think it may upgrade, and (3) I think and have been told that NGC GSAs do a little better in the marketplace. I have never cracked out a GSA holder from ATS so before I do, I thought I would ask some advice here. First, do you think NGC GSAs do better in the marketplace than the fully encapsulated ones ATS?  . I know NGC GSAs are more popular and I believe they present better. Should I just send it in for a cross over?  Are they easy to crack out?  I do think this coin has a reasonable chance of grading a point higher than it did ATS.

Thank you in advance.

I don't understand. How would you "crack out" a GSA? I've never seen one done by ATS.

Edited by VKurtB

PCGS has created a special oversized holder so the unique GSA Hoard Silver dollar coins can be PCGS-certified and still be encapsulated in the original GSA holder. Customers can now choose how they would like their GSA Hoard coins encapsulated.

Submit GSA Carson City Silver Dollars in the original GSA case and PCGS will grade and encapsulate the coin (and case) in our special oversized holder. Please follow these instructions when submitting these coins to PCGS

On 9/15/2021 at 11:08 AM, TPRC said:

I am talking about cracking the GSA out of the fully encased holder from ATS, and not out of the GSA encasement.

How would you crack the outer without damaging the GSA holder? Seems like a tough surgery to me.

Well, that is the $64,000 question. I have never done it, but it does not look difficult. There appears to be a foam insert between the ATS outer casing and the GSA holder, so it looks easy. I have cracked out many coins in all types of holders without a single incident, but as the ATS holders are a unusual, I thought. I would ask.  

On 9/15/2021 at 12:25 PM, TPRC said:

not for this one-1k differential

So, if you cross to NGC that automatically raises the premium of your coin $1,000.00?   I don't believe you.

And I still say you are wasting your money.  But then; it's your money.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Add information

On 9/15/2021 at 12:27 PM, Alex in PA. said:

So, if you cross to NGC that automatically raises the premium of your coin $1,000.00?   I don't believe you.

OK, I don't really wish to fight about that as nothing is automatic and the coin is the coin, right?   And I mean to say if it crosses to NGC and goes up a point it is worth 1k more.  Auction records support my position. In addition, I really like the look of NGC GSA's better and I have been told that NGC GSAs do better and are more widely accepted. They certainly are more common.

Edited by TPRC

On 9/15/2021 at 12:36 PM, TPRC said:

if it crosses to NGC and goes up a point it is worth 1k more.

Why not enlighten us as to what this coin is.  It's easy to brag without proof.  Describe it and if I am wrong I will gladly admite it but apparently I have more faith in the PCGS graders than most do.  Either way; crack it and go for it them come back and prove me wrong.

Also:  have you thought you may have it come back a 61 or 60?

Edited by Alex in PA.

I'd rather not identify the coin right now.  I will say that I also have more faith in the ATS graders than most do for most U.S. coins, and that is also a consideration, though I have heard (but do not know) that NGC GSAs do better than ATS GSAs, even in full encapsulation.  And you are correct in noting that it could come back as a 60 or 61, and that is certainly a chance that I would have to take. But I have been grading a long time and I think this is a 62 with a real shot at 63 and nicer than many 63s I have seen.  All I am suggesting is that I am considering cracking it if I can do so easily and sending it in with several other GSAs. I would save on an extra submission form and fee, and it could be done more easily. But I am not a GSA guy and I don't even know if I should save the box and papers, as I have also heard that folks like to keep those with the coins. Thank you for your comments and I'll consider posting at a later date. For now, I will assume that no one has cracked out a GSA fully encapsulated from ATS and that was my primary question

The PCGS full encapsulation program for GSA's is not brand new but still a fairly new product, so it is uncertain how the market values vs the established NGC format will play out.  As you noted right now it does seem that NGC GSA's tend to sell slightly better and for a few dollars more, unknown if that will continue to be true.   I have not seen one of the PCGS full GSA holders in hand; but from the photos if you are careful I doubt that you will have any issue removing the GSA and holder intact.   Good luck with whatever direction you choose and I hope you get the upgrade if you do decide to submit to NGC.

Most GSA's wouldn't bring enough extra in a different holder to cover grading and shipping costs. But, while you've indicated that this is an unusual case, you don't want to provide specifics. So I don't see how anyone could give you meaningful advice.

And it sounds like you've made up your mind, anyway.

Additionally, while you feel that there's additional upside, due to a potential upgrade, who's to say it wouldn't upgrade at PCGS? 

On 9/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, Conder101 said:

Leave it in the ATS holder and either send it in as a crossover, or just for straight grading (in the GSA holder) and NGC will handle the cracking out.  That way you don't risk damaging the GSA holder.

I was not aware that that was an option. Is it?

On 9/17/2021 at 5:29 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Page 2 of the Submission Form.

Thank you. I never knew that. I am going to call tomorrow just to ensure I can do it that way, but if it is so, as it appears to be, that is exactly what I will do. And I'll post an update either way when I have completed this process and sold the item..  

I was criticized a bit for my post on this topic so I thought I owed posters/responders an update. The coin was a 1903-O GSA Hard Pack Dollar.  I originally only wanted to understand how best to submit it, but my inquiry was broader than that-too broad. Also, I did not want to provide a ton of details because I was intending to sell it. I tried to send it in as a straight grade in the PCGS graded case but NGC would not do that and advised it could only be treated as a cross-over (unless I cracked it out of the PCGS encasement myself, which I was afraid to do.)  So, we modified it to cross at any grade. It did not upgrade but crossed at the original 62 grade and I sold it. 61s, 62s 63s and 64s do go for decent differentials, so it was worth the try at the upgrade. Overall, I was pleased with the result and I still believe that NGC graded GSA hard packs are preferable. 

On 2/20/2022 at 4:26 PM, TPRC said:

Also, I did not want to provide a ton of details because I was intending to sell it. 

I don't know why that impacted your decision to not give us details or post pics.  Nobody here would have done anything to undermine your sale, if anything people would have been happy to help.

In any event, glad it worked out for you. (thumbsu