• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AU-59: MYSTERY SOLVED!
1 1

102 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB  Somewhere out there, toiling in complete anonymity, are employees, or ex-employees, whose institutional memories are unmatched.  I would like to see/hear their stories in their own words before the opportunity is lost forever. (Or, in the alternative, rely on on-site reports.)   🤔 

I have ZERO faith in any recent era NARA documents regarding the United States Mint. It is clear that decisions are being made there, AND IN THE TWO BANKING COMMITTEES, that are 100% made in pursuit of partisan political objectives, and are so crass that admitting the true basis of their decisions would be a permanent embarrassment. They CAN’T admit what is truly going on, so it is simply NOT ARCHIVED ACCURATELY. 

On 9/13/2021 at 6:48 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Anything you want to see more recent than 1994 will likely require a FOIA request, which will likely meet a stonewall by legal counsel. I’ve seen this game played up close and personal. Even before 1994, anything personally or politically sketchy will likely have been scrubbed clean, including but not limited to, whatever those “special” 1964 coins’ history is. They’re more likely than not nothing special really, but if they ARE I’d never expect to see it in any archives. Private conversion to private goods. 

THIS from a country that won’t give anyone an “up close and personal” tour of “behind the scenes at the mint” but the U.K. will, to an American. Crazy.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB  Somewhere out there, toiling in complete anonymity, are employees, or ex-employees, whose institutional memories are unmatched.  I would like to see/hear their stories in their own words before the opportunity is lost forever. (Or, in the alternative, rely on on-site reports.)   🤔 

Mint employees are already in cahoots with major error coin dealers, feeding them material.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:30 PM, VKurtB said:

Mint employees are already in cahoots with major error coin dealers, feeding them material.

There was a source on eBay that seemed to have a lock on errors which they then funneled on-line.  There is a "contact seller" provision provided on every seller's offering and I wrote one directly deriding their products as nothing but a collaborative effort between a "cooperative" employee who had simply been compromised and assured them I would relay my concerns to various parties.  My fading recollection is the inventory for sale, which no other seller offered in such incredible numbers, was quietly withdrawn. If they were a legitimate outfit, they (an attorney or representative) would have responded to my scathing allegation.  It remains the one and only time my message was met with complete silence. There are members on this Forum who have been very vocal in expressing their dislike of counterfeiters. I place these fugazies who taint the marketplace with cockamamie scams in the same category. This is not to malign collectors of errors but, if you are one, you would be well advised to have your antennae extended at all times. If there is one thing I cannot abide it is this type of in-your-face underhanded activity.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

There was a source on eBay that seemed to have a lock on errors which they then funneled on-line.  There is a "contact seller" provision provided on every seller's offering and I wrote one directly deriding their products as nothing but a collaborative effort between a "cooperative" employee who had simply been compromised and assured them I would relay my concerns to various parties.  My fading recollection is the inventory for sale, which no other seller offered in such incredible numbers, was quietly withdrawn. If they were a legitimate outfit, they (an attorney or representative) would have responded to my scathing allegation.  It remains the one and only time my message was met with complete silence. There are members on this Forum who have been very vocal in expressing their dislike of counterfeiters. I place these fugazies who taint the marketplace with cockamamie scams in the same category. This is not to malign collectors of errors but, if you are one, you would be well advised to have your antennae extended at all times. If there is one thing I cannot abide it is this type of in-your-face underhanded activity.

Yet a VERY recently retired major error dealer openly admitted that was his inventory source, in an interview at an ANA convention, well BEFORE his retirement. 

I believe the interview might still be on the ANA’s website. 

Point is: error collecting has a considerable sized seedy underbelly. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/13/2021 at 7:36 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

The Pioneer Cabin Tree, also known as The Tunnel Tree, was a giant sequoia in Calaveras Big Trees State Park, California. It was considered one of the U.S.'s most famous trees, and drew thousands of visitors annually. Wikipedia

54DC0A7F-4476-4B59-9CF0-E676C4496A67.jpeg

I was familiar with the tree but unaware of its fate. Thanks for the link!

On 9/13/2021 at 7:48 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

The NARA on-line info is almost useless -- it does not, and never has, matched the actual finding aids, entry numbers or locations at any NARA location. When people walk into NARA in College Park with this list, the staff have to start from the beginning and ask questions so they can get the correct documents. Yes, NARA has been advised of this many times.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

False. This implies systemic corruption, which is not the case. There have been dishonest individuals and most are sitting in a federal prison. Most modern error coins come from the private distribution centers where large bags are broken down into rolls for bank/business distribution via armored truck.

The US Mint's rate of released errors is extremely low, but not zero. Thus, when billions of coins are made each year, there will be several thousand error coins in the large bags.

PS: The quote is from Kurt Bell

Edited by RWB

[If anyone is waiting for me to bring the quote  misattributed to me to @RWB's attention, you've got a long slog.  In the meantime, I've got bigger fish to fry...]

I don't know about cahoots or systemic corruption, but there are two errors I refuse to be forced-fed, without plausible explanation, authenticated and certified, or not:  one is wrong planchets, particularly involving other countries; the other is that twenty-dollar bill emblazoned with a genuine Del Monte sticker. Pardon the expression, but I ain't havin' that.  :makepoint:

On 9/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Has to be Chiquita before I’ll believe it. Not Del Monte.

Re:  Jan 25, 2021, CoinNews, "Del Monte" $20 Sets $396,000 World Record in Banknote Errors at Heritage Currency Sale.