• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Nice inexpensive way to store 2X2 Coin Flips
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I like it Bill!!! Looks like it will do a fine job of storing your collection. I don't grade my ancients and I keep them in 2x2's, as you keep your coins.  I like to use these little stockbooks for my collection:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274737358064?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274737358064&targetid=1262779895009&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9005616&poi=&campaignid=10455978148&mkgroupid=122766957832&rlsatarget=pla-1262779895009&abcId=2146002&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItLGCvPrj8gIVBPjICh0ZxAzaEAQYAyABEgIO9PD_BwE

But I think your solution will definitely hold more coins!

If anyone wants keep dust out of their 2x2 coins in binder I’ve seen a collector once keep all his 2x2 in archival binder  looked like a box type binder . Someday I might transfer all my 2x2 to archival binder it’s fully enclosed I always hated 2x2 flips when they slip out of the pages sometime had Keep tape on upper page to hold coins in place … I use BCW Peel and seal 2X2s I don’t use staple type 2X2s anymore 

the archival binder looks like this .

https://www.adorama.com/fsbbk.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwj8eJBhA5EiwAg3z0m37WGZaZp_eukMl-22GyQWR3jBnysuhHxqriW1Jg29m79dQA4MCFUBoCtXIQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwj8eJBhA5EiwAg3z0m37WGZaZp_eukMl-22GyQWR3jBnysuhHxqriW1Jg29m79dQA4MCFUBoCtXIQAvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

On 9/3/2021 at 9:06 PM, Jason Abshier said:

If anyone wants keep dust out of their 2x2 coins in binder I’ve seen a collector once keep all his 2x2 in archival binder  looked like a box type binder . Someday I might transfer all my 2x2 to archival binder it’s fully enclosed I always hated 2x2 flips when they slip out of the pages sometime had Keep tape on upper page to hold coins in place … I use BCW Peel and seal 2X2s I don’t use staple type 2X2s anymore 

the archival binder looks like this .

https://www.adorama.com/fsbbk.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwj8eJBhA5EiwAg3z0m37WGZaZp_eukMl-22GyQWR3jBnysuhHxqriW1Jg29m79dQA4MCFUBoCtXIQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwj8eJBhA5EiwAg3z0m37WGZaZp_eukMl-22GyQWR3jBnysuhHxqriW1Jg29m79dQA4MCFUBoCtXIQAvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

That's a sharp binder, Jason.  Very cool!! So, about the BCW peel and seal 2x2's......I'm guessing you dig them because you've switched to using them exclusively.  I've thought about making the switch myself, but I haven't.  How do they compare quality-wise and everything with the staple type 2x2s, if you don't mind my asking?

@MowhawkI haven’t had any come apart I just made switch last year … they seal good for me , I like to put my coins in the next biggest holder I’ll put a nickel in a quarter holder , I like to see the edges of the coins, also it makes it easier to poke a hole in plastic with a toothpick and pop the coin out take a picture or handle it or whatever then put it new holder simple and easy … no digging staples out or anything like that 

I myself am working on getting away from 2x2 all together. Im in the middle of swapping over to these capsules. I fond of em. But thats just me

https://www.amazon.com/Coin-Storage-Boxes-30mm-Coin-Capsule-Coin-Collectors-Coin-Capsule-Holder-Commemorative/dp/B08C5884F6/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_36?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=89EZJQCTYW9CM923SMDB

On 9/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@MowhawkI haven’t had any come apart I just made switch last year … they seal good for me , I like to put my coins in the next biggest holder I’ll put a nickel in a quarter holder , I like to see the edges of the coins, also it makes it easier to poke a hole in plastic with a toothpick and pop the coin out take a picture or handle it or whatever then put it new holder simple and easy … no digging staples out or anything like that 

Thanks for that, Jason.  That all sounds pretty good.  I'm going to have to get some and try them out.  I'll have to see if they have anything larger than a large U.S. dollar size for my sestertii. I put those in dollar sized 2x2s currently, but even if I can switch for just asses, dupondii and denarii, that's a lot fewer staples involved and a lot fewer potential staple related boo-boos........I think this is an experiment worth undertaking!!

On 9/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, JAnsley said:

I myself am working on getting away from 2x2 all together. Im in the middle of swapping over to these capsules. I fond of em. But thats just me

https://www.amazon.com/Coin-Storage-Boxes-30mm-Coin-Capsule-Coin-Collectors-Coin-Capsule-Holder-Commemorative/dp/B08C5884F6/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_36?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=89EZJQCTYW9CM923SMDB

Those capsules are quite nice.....but they wouldn't work well for ancients.  There is too much variance in diameter and thickness among coins of the same denomination with ancients, so something that finely tuned for coins all of virtually identical sizes wouldn't work for my collection.  Sometimes, I wish it would....but I do like my little stockbooks, so it's alright that they don't.  I can see how they'd be an appealing option in other collecting areas, though.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:28 PM, Mohawk said:

Those capsules are quite nice.....but they wouldn't work well for ancients.  There is too much variance in diameter and thickness among coins of the same denomination with ancients, so something that finely tuned for coins all of virtually identical sizes wouldn't work for my collection.  Sometimes, I wish it would....but I do like my little stockbooks, so it's alright that they don't.  I can see how they'd be an appealing option in other collecting areas, though.

The one i have are universal and hold any coin up to 30mm. But can be order to hold up 48mm i believe. They incorporate a foam gasket to make it possible. The reason i like em is cause there universal and only need one size fit all. Rather than ordering several different sizes of 2x2. But i dont know alot about ancients i have a few i need to identify but dont know where to find the info to do so and im not gonna clean em to be able to see the detail. Probably just sell em on ebay as is and see if they bring anything.

20210903_203923~2.jpg

20210903_203928~2.jpg

Edited by JAnsley

@Mowhawkyour probably look at 2.5”x2.5” Peel and seal type holders I think biggest they go is up to 48mm they can fit up large crowns might work for what you’re looking for 

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/supersafe-self-adhesive-25x25-holders-48mm-large-crowns.html

On 9/3/2021 at 10:07 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@Mowhawkyour probably look at 2.5”x2.5” Peel and seal type holders I think biggest they go is up to 48mm they can fit up large crowns might work for what you’re looking for 

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/supersafe-self-adhesive-25x25-holders-48mm-large-crowns.html

Now I think that would work well for a sestertius!!! Thank you for that, Jason.  Now, time to look at doing a test order to undertake the experiment!!

On 9/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, JAnsley said:

The one i have are universal and hold any coin up to 30mm. But can be order to hold up 48mm i believe. They incorporate a foam gasket to make it possible. The reason i like em is cause there universal and only need one size fit all. Rather than ordering several different sizes of 2x2. But i dont know alot about ancients i have a few i need to identify but dont know where to find the info to do so and im not gonna clean em to be able to see the detail. Probably just sell em on ebay as is and see if they bring anything.

20210903_203923~2.jpg

20210903_203928~2.jpg

They definitely look nice, for sure.  I like them!! But I definitely doubt they'd work as well for ancients with the uneven rims and everything that they have.  As for your ancients, have you posted pics up here?  Maybe we can help you with them.  I only know Roman myself, but other members here do know Greek and Byzantine as well.....it might be worth a shot!

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

On 9/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, Mohawk said:

They definitely look nice, for sure.  I like them!! But I definitely doubt they'd work as well for ancients with the uneven rims and everything that they have.  As for your ancients, have you posted pics up here?  Maybe we can help you with them.  I only know Roman myself, but other members here to know Greek and Byzantine as well.....it might be worth a shot!

Ill post em just gotta find my calibers and scale. Not sure where either one is. Thats why ive not posted them yet