• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1652 Colonial

20 posts in this topic

This is just a screen shot. As i dont have the coin in my possession just yet. Should have it tomorrow afternoon and will post better photos of both sides then. But from what i have now can anyone tell if it is the real deal or a fake? I got it through a bulk coin and token lot auction i won through either goodwill or ebay i dont recall which now. Anyhow as i look through the pile of coins i noticed this one and i know i need the other side to know which one it is but either way i knew it was rare coin so long as its real.. Just dont know enough about em. 

Screenshot_20210829-024201~3.png

On 9/2/2021 at 11:50 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Goodwill?  Explain please 🤓🙀

ShopGoodwill.com has online auctions of surplus items. From different locations across the U.S.

On 9/3/2021 at 12:02 AM, JKK said:

The idea of telling its authenticity from a blurry photo of only one side is almost comic.

I know really didnt expect any reply tonite. And im not sure what a real one looks like from any side. Most time the more seasoned veterans can spot a fake no matter what kinda photo it is. But come tomorrow ill have wait diameter photos of both sides thickness. I'm not sure if there's anything else if so please advise.

Im by no way shap form or fashion the wise thats why i post what i do. Ridiculous as some of it may seem I don't know a whole lot about it. So i ask and thats how i learn. I can look all day long online for answers and never get them since i joined this form I've learned about many coins and even a token i searched for off and on a couple years for took Conder all of a few minutes to tell me what it was. Just amazing the vast amounts of knowledge thats is here!!

On 9/2/2021 at 11:17 PM, JKK said:

Well, I guess I'm just too much of a noob to have any chance to spot a fake from a photo like that. I'll just sit in the back of the class and try to learn from the wise.

Hey JKK. Can I sit near you so I can copy your notes and look at your quiz answers 😂?

On 9/3/2021 at 3:14 AM, l.cutler said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up, it has all the looks of a cast copy.  Definitely post better pictures when you have it in hand.

I've all but come to the conclusion that it's a counterfeit or a reproduction but here's the photos and I'll get y'all's opinions on it thanks. I was really think id found something too but since this coins is not the real deal i wasted 40 bucks on a bunch of junk.O well live and learn 

20210903_193952~2.jpg

20210903_194003~2.jpg

I hate to say it JAnsley, but it definitely looks like a cast fake to me.  There are a lot of those for this particular issue floating around.  I'd say at this point, there are likely more fakes of this coin than genuine examples in existence.  But at $40, it could have been worse.  I've known people who paid a lot higher rate of numismatic tuition learning in this hobby.  And fakes can happen to any of us.  About a decade ago, I bought a very convincing fake of a rare Ottoman gold 100 Kurush.....that one was a major ouch!!! I ended up getting gold melt out of it and that was all.....so, I lost a lot more than $40!!! It happens.  Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back in the game!

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/3/2021 at 8:16 PM, Mohawk said:

I hate to say it JAnsley, but it definitely looks like a cast fake to me.  There are a lot of those for this particular issue floating around.  I'd say at this point, there are likely more fakes of this coin than genuine examples in existence.  But at $40, it could have been worse.  I've known people who paid a lot higher rate of numismatic tuition learning in this hobby.  And fakes can happen to any of us.  About a decade ago, I bought a very convincing fake of a rare Ottoman gold 100 Kurush.....that one was a major ouch!!! I ended up getting gold melt out of it and that was all.....so, I lost a lot more than $40!!! It happens.  Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back in the game!

This is the second time its happened. First time it happened was with a morgan dollar and i didn't know it till i sold it last week on ebay. It came in a sealed holder from a dealer in Houston so i thought it was legit. Well guy sold it to took it outta the holder and weighted it. It was 2g lite so im having to refund him plus be out what i payed fo it since he removed it from holder the dealer wont make it good. So i got screwed twice with that dang morgan..

On 9/3/2021 at 9:32 PM, JAnsley said:

This is the second time its happened. First time it happened was with a morgan dollar and i didn't know it till i sold it last week on ebay. It came in a sealed holder from a dealer in Houston so i thought it was legit. Well guy sold it to took it outta the holder and weighted it. It was 2g lite so im having to refund him plus be out what i payed fo it since he removed it from holder the dealer wont make it good. So i got screwed twice with that dang morgan..

I'm so sorry to hear that.  I was totally screwed on that 100 Kurush myself.  I bought it from a dealer in Turkey who I had good references for from others who were collecting Ottoman coins.  Once I found out the coin was fake, he totally disappeared on me.  I guess he did this to a few other people, too.  Sometimes even when you do your homework, the worst happens.  It sucks, but I'm glad you're sticking with the hobby.  

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/3/2021 at 11:08 PM, Just Bob said:

Check about 5:30 near the rim on your first picture. That little "R" means it's a reproduction.

Ooh!!! Good catch Bob!! I didn't even notice that, honestly.  I better start paying better attention here.......

On 9/3/2021 at 10:08 PM, Just Bob said:

Check about 5:30 near the rim on your first picture. That little "R" means it's a reproduction.

Thats a heck of an you got there... I never seen it till you pointed that out...o well live and learn. I knew i was taken a chance getting it but wont make that mistake again 

On 9/4/2021 at 4:51 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Spent a few minutes looking at shopgoodwill and what can I say.   They have coins and all kinda coins. The things I learn from this forum. Thanks 🤓🙀

Yes sir..i was very surprised But And i mean but watch it they will nail you to the wall on  shipping. Reason being is that not everything is in one location so when bidding i try to make sure everything comes from the same place or at least two different places. Say you win ten lots at ten locations then they hit you for 15 bucks shipping for each lot. I know this because i learned the hard way.