• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Newbie Here - best advice/resources for cataloging a collection?

8 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

Would really love feedback from the collective hivemind! My husband and I recently inherited his father's coin collection, and we're a little overwhelmed on where to start. The collection includes a lot of "year" proof sets, but also includes a lot of random coins. Some in cases, some not in cases, some in little envelopes, etc. There's no rhyme or reason to it so far, just whatever he picked up in his travels that he thought might be worth something some day, or coin sets that looked interesting. We're trying to figure out a way to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were. What's worth anything, and what isn't?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a user-friendly coin collection inventory software/program? I created an account and tried the NGC Collection Manager, but it doesn't seem very beginner-friendly, and I didn't even know what to put in the fields - it all seems free text? Ideally, we were hoping for a free (or low cost) online database or program where we could start inputting our proof sets and known items, and get real-time information or rough guesstimate on how much they are worth.

Next step: Organizing! For all the loose coins, are coins typically separated out by denomination (pennies, dimes, nickels, etc) then by year? Are albums or tubes best? Any other tips/tricks/feedback on how to get these coins sorted?

Any guidance is very greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome. You have come to the right place and I really want to thank JKK for sharing in my opinion a very good essay on how to begin handling your situation. 
I can only repeat a couple things 1. Handle coins with cotton gloves or cloth tee. Handle by edges. 2. Never clean 3. Get a red book last year is fine. eBay wizzard supply. Amazon. Local book store 4.  Post as good  quality pictures as you can. I have practiced with my iPhone 7 and have gotten pretty good.   JKK is right..,there are those of us who love helping people with their coins. Thanks 🤓🙀

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 8/23/2021 at 2:32 PM, tessa33 said:

recommendations for a user-friendly coin collection inventory software/program? I created an account and tried the NGC Collection Manager, but it doesn't seem very beginner-friendly, and I didn't even know what to put in the fields - it all seems free text?

Being an IT guy you can use use an Excel spreadsheet.  or you can download a checklist form the various dealers and coin website that carry them.  usually single demnomination style check sheets.Liberty Coin service has a few right off the toip of my head.

On 8/23/2021 at 2:32 PM, tessa33 said:

! For all the loose coins, are coins typically separated out by denomination (pennies, dimes, nickels, etc) then by year? Are albums or tubes best? A

For loose cicrulated coind the old blue whitman folders are great.  for uncirculated i would try stafree flips these are good all purpose holders and will fit nicely in the 2 X 2 notebook style pages.

AS always listen to the advice of some of these guys they ahve been doing this for a long time... never touch the urface of the coins,  always handle by the edges, and never ever clean them! :)  lastly I hope you have a wonderful and fun time going through them.  because thats what its all about.  enjoymnent!

Hello and Welcome!!!

Well, I'd say Jonathan, James and JT have it all covered!! All I can say is that if you take their advice, you'll be well on your way!!

Best of luck and we'll help wherever we can!

~Tom

Hello and Welcome,

Let me start by saying I am NOT one of the pros here.  They are very helpful and will be honest about your coins, When they tell you something believe they do know what they are talking about, I don't care what U-tube or some other site says. 

I started by  making a spread sheet in Excel. Look for all of one type coin and then go though them and put them into the spread sheet. (I treated all of my coins like they were worth a lot) After sorting all of one type I started looking  them up in the red book. Yes this took lots of time but I learned a lot too.

I did buy albums to put what I felt was the best of each coin in. the other I put into tubes and set a side for some later time. Then I moved on to the next type of coin. I started with Penny (cents) then nickels and all the way up. But do it any way you find FUN. 

As others have already said DO NOT Clean any coin. The cotton glove are very important too. I oil from your fingers can damage coins.

Please Have fun and share pics of your coins. Don't be afraid to ask anything. You will not be the first person to ask it.

Welcome to the forum. The advice given so far is spot on. Here is a link to a thread by a former member of this site which deals with inherited collections:

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/73947-what-you-need-to-know-inherited-coin-collections/