• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Small date Copper Penny

15 posts in this topic

I've been on the lookout for a 1982 Copper Small Date Penny & thought I found one in the past but it wasn't the right weight. I think I finally found one now & was wondering if anyone could tell me wether or not this is it? 20210821_120251.thumb.jpg.86abf0cdecae5b127bee6f1c66153758.jpg

On 8/21/2021 at 4:37 PM, AliciaB said:

So this isn't a small date?

The pic is still a bit fuzzy, but it looks like the 8 is extended beyond the 9 and the 2 which would indicate a large date.

Hello AliciaB and welcome to the NGC forum. Your coin pictured is definitely a large date as numerous other very educated collectors have noted.  Copper small date Lincolns are somewhat abundant (at least here in the Southeast and maybe I take them for granted) but I was wondering why you are "On the lookout" for a 1982 Copper small date?  There is only one type of 1982 Copper small date that is extremely rare and that is the Denver minted copper small date 1982. All Denver minted 1982 small date Cents were supposed to be made from the new Zinc cored planchets but less than a handful have been discovered that were struck on a copper planchet.  Maybe this is what you were originally implying about looking for but it was not explained in your opening post. My apologies if this is what you meant.   

I appreciate all the responses! The reason I say that I've been looking for the 1982 D Copper small date Penny is because of how rare they are. I don't  know much about coins but I enjoy finding old coins & it's  amazing to me how valuable some are! 

Just to put things in perspective, the Denver mint made over 6 BILLION cents in 1982 and if I recall correctly,  only 2 copper small dates have been authenticated.  You have a better chance of winning the Power Ball than finding the 3rd one.

If you like old coins, keep searching.  It's very hard to get rich, but over time, you'll learn a lot and probably find some interesting stuff

sorry ta say it is a large date. I have a bunch of them. I am adding a picture of my 1982 small date copper. and my other 1982 small date zinc

I have some that the 8 or the 2 looks like a small date and a large date but not on the same coin. I am not sending them in for grading

I don't think they will grade high enough. first 2 are zinc the other 2 are copper .Good Luck

20210823_145126.jpg

20210823_145031.jpg

20210823_142101.jpg

20210823_140902.jpg