• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coins I could never afford but this I could

20 posts in this topic

Speaking of coins you could never afford and reproductions, I've been looking for a decent reproduction of a denarius of Annia Faustina, who was a descendant of Faustina the Younger and Marcus Aurelius.  I think there are something like 5 of her denarii known in the whole world, so I definitely cannot afford one.  But......I can't even seem to find a decent repro!!! Grove Minting does some nice work......I wish they'd get on a version of an Annia Faustina denarius!!

On 8/15/2021 at 2:22 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Send them a request see what they say ? Doesn’t hurt to ask 

That's not a bad idea!!! I think I may just do that......I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who'd want one.  Annia Faustina is one of the hardest parts of a Roman portrait collection.  There'd be demand for it.  

On 8/15/2021 at 2:33 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Moonlight (d.Carr) ,Intaglio ,Grove mint(with and without d.Carr). Might be fun just to contact them just to see what they say. I have found they are all very friendly and accommodating 🤓

That's a good idea!! I think I have some emails to write hm

If you can look over their inventory amazing. I also have 4 intaglio silver octagon panPac 2oz.ers still looking over moonlight inventory but I’ll find one. Happy hunting 🤓
Looking at d.Carr’s 2013 nickel 

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 8/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, James Zyskowski said:

If you can look over their inventory amazing. I also have 4 intaglio silver octagon panPac 2oz.ers still looking over moonlight inventory but I’ll find one. Happy hunting 🤓

They definitely have some interesting things, for sure.  But since I really only actively collect ancients any longer, there's nothing that really works for me :) But I see the appeal for you guys who collect in other areas.  The last modern things I bought for myself were the 2 oz silver Egyptian Gods rounds of Sobek, Khunum and Anubis, and even those are ancient themed.  If you haven't seen those, they're really cool.  They're worth checking out.

Beautiful replicas. I’m not trying to rain on your parade, but is there a market for these? I honestly have no clue. Is this just something neat to look at but holds no real value, or do they hold resale and/or appreciate? Never looked at this market. 

Holds big meaning for me and the market is the last thing I care about.  At $35 I’m really happy. I’m just a simple man but I know my limitations looking at pictures is nice and all that, I can get a tremendous amount of enjoyment. Hold a 2oz. Octagon panPac observe the quality. I spent some of my life wanting and not being able to compromise. So I had pictures and dreams but no way to resolve it. Agreed that the nicest thing about our hobby is the vast array of different types of collectors 🤓

last year I paid $38 apiece for the 2oz.panPac. Can’t touch em for under $75-80 now. 
^^

On 8/15/2021 at 3:09 PM, Woods020 said:

Beautiful replicas. I’m not trying to rain on your parade, but is there a market for these? I honestly have no clue. Is this just something neat to look at but holds no real value, or do they hold resale and/or appreciate? Never looked at this market. 

You know, Woods, I have no idea value-wise on the value on most of these replicas.  I think some of Dan Carr's items do have some value.  Another member here mentioned today that his 2009 "Proof Silver Eagle" sells for like $120 or something like that.  But I should note that I have no idea what that sold for originally.  As for what I want, an Annia Faustina replica, it's more of a scholarly/completeness thing.  Along with trying to do a comprehensive collection of Faustina the Younger's coins, I've been thinking about having one coin to show each of her relatives and descendants who also appeared on coins.  Most of these are very affordable, but Annia Faustina is the exception.......when there are only 5 denarii of someone known in the whole world, you start talking huge price tags and a lifetime can go by without one being offered for sale.  And even if one did come up for sale, I could never afford it.  Hence the desire for a replica.  I'm sure in what I'm looking for, the replica would hold no value, but it's not about that for me, as is the case for all of my ancients.  

On 8/15/2021 at 6:23 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Seems to just re-enforce buy what you like. For me I am a touchy freely kinda guy and a quality reproduction is right up my alley at the same time I have the greatest respect for each of our unique interactions with coins. I am a stickler for quality 🤓

I'm with you....I like to be able to hold and feel my ancients, which is why I do not have a single certified ancient.  If I bought one certified, I'd probably crack it out, put it in a 2x2 and into my stockbook, with the rest of my collection.  And where Annia Faustina is concerned, I'm so with you on the quality reproduction!!! Sometimes, a repro is the only way you can represent something in your collection, and I feel that there is no shame in having a properly marked reproduction in one's collection for that impossibly rare piece.

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/15/2021 at 4:23 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Seems to just re-enforce buy what you like. For me I am a touchy freely kinda guy and a quality reproduction is right up my alley at the same time I have the greatest respect for each of our unique interactions with coins. I am a stickler for quality 🤓

my associate is rolling on the floor with laughter because we have a bunch of some what funky coins. Hey do the best you can at the time 🙀😂😂

On 8/15/2021 at 3:09 PM, Woods020 said:

@Woods020 yeah theres a small market for fantasy issue coinage , Daniel Carr comes to mind I’ve seen some of his issues he struck have followers that aren’t afraid to run a bid up over $100 or more for a fantasy issue . Future market ? I have no idea what the future holds ,unless they keep market interesting offering more unique pieces from time to time and form a bigger collector circle it may take off good for them .

Same could be said about the “so called Dollars” crowd as well they collect a lot of unique so-called dollars actually making a small devoted collector’s community starting to keep information a few websites are dedicated to So-called dollars not really my taste but I stopped and read up on them some of the stuff is cool and unique 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:08 PM, James Zyskowski said:

99ECB086-7959-479A-A4BF-10006977DD02.thumb.jpeg.4b274deff1602ac3626d286e91849ad9.jpegIt arrived the other day and is stunning in hand. There’s a golden red hue I hope the pictures look good 🤓🙀

Chain baby some of the first 🙏

78BFD58F-6F60-4BFE-A41B-1BC573932E5E.jpeg

C29334D7-FC14-490E-865D-C4FCCFB817E2.jpeg

Yeah....that is sharp!! It's a great alternative for those who want a Chain cent and cannot afford the real deal.  It's a very nice piece of exonumia, which is still a valid area of the hobby.  Thanks for sharing that one.