• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here’s a 6-pack. Any thing like it?

19 posts in this topic

Do you know which side is the Obverse and which side is the Reverse.......Trivia question here?hm

Edited by GBrad

Those are pretty sharp!!! I used to collect Libertads years ago and it's always nice to see pretty ones

On 8/15/2021 at 4:56 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I was wondering why they are so toned did you buy them like that ?

Yes sir. I ran across a collector on eBay seems to not be around anymore. He collected them and being as how I loved them I didn’t care if it was artificial toning although he was fairly certain they were naturally toned. I purchased them separately over a year same guy. I’ll post some close ups maybe we can speculate on artificial or not 🤓good morning 

I am going to go ahead and cast my vote for AT, but I am not at all familiar with how these were packaged or stored, so I could be wrong.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, Just Bob said:

I am going to go ahead and cast my vote for AT, but I am not at all familiar with how these were packaged or stored, so I could be wrong.

The reason I asked about the toning is I have seen the black foam rubber band inside the coin holder may have a factor in toning some coins? I have noticed coloration on a lot of coins in these type of holders. Not sure if it is the rubber giving off some kind of reaction inside the case. Just a observation and I wanted to pass it on in hopes others may have a thought or have also observed this toning themselves.  

The black or dark gray plastic foam might be the kind that, after 4 or 5 years, suddenly decomposes into gunk. I had a Hasselblad ruined when this happened - and it was in a high-end, foam-lined metal case.

As for the cat - your coin is not protected from barfed hair balls or bacteria infested slime. Put the coin in a box with sulfur absorbent and the cat in the freezer. Both will benefit. ;)

Edited by RWB

Bob is probably correct which is fine at$15-$20 each I think I’m ok cost wise.  I put them in those capsules and I don’t think they have changed. I’ll get my close up picture set up and snap a few including some things that make me suspicious 🤓

On 8/12/2021 at 12:27 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@James Zyskowski nice Mexican Libertads the earlier years 1onza . They have some nice toning . I used to collect Libertads 

Where do you think the toning came from, the foam insert?

On 8/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, VKurtB said:

Where do you think the toning came from, the foam insert?

Coin Envelopes and the environment in which they were stored  , I’ve seen wild toning on earlier Libertads (there are fake artificial toning as we know I can’t really see his pictures clearly) not saying they are fake toned , fake toning looks awkward and very bright looking. I have a guy at work who has a small handful of 1986 ASE his dad died left for him oddly he got them from a dealer at that time they were in paper envelope every one of them turned to a rainbow 

Some of the most vibrant and best literally jaw dropping toning in my opinion are coins I’ve seen in Europe coins stored in wooden coin cabinets. 

I double looked at picture blew it up , they do look artificially toned , the last time I didn’t look at picture well enough the upper left one is a dead give away of AT Light blue/grey around rim . The 2nd down on right with toning in middle of the coin is just too bright looks like AT as well the other coins are little harder to tell due to lighting they look copper/brownish on my phone screen they would look how a silver coin would age turning yellow then brown … hard to tell by pictures and lighting 

if you take notice some of the coin’s rims are showing in capsules bright as the day ! Natural toning leaves some type of aging and toning on the rim as well 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 8/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I double looked at picture blew it up , they do look artificially toned , the last time I didn’t look at picture well enough the upper left one is a dead give away of AT Light blue/grey around rim . The 2nd down on right with toning in middle of the coin is just too bright looks like AT as well the other coins are little harder to tell due to lighting they look copper/brownish on my phone screen they would look how a silver coin would age turning yellow then brown … hard to tell by pictures and lighting 

if you take notice some of the coin’s rims are showing in capsules bright as the day ! Natural toning leaves some type of aging and toning on the rim as well 

I agree fully. These have all been “cooked” with chemicals.