• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 D/P 5 cents US error?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

l need your help about this coin and just want to clarify  if the mint mark  D/P, if does can l get any thoughts for me to learn and additional knowledge about this coin and can l get extra premium?

thanks and really appreciate!..

69B99983-D069-48EF-B07B-A626101C2D71.jpeg

054654B9-0834-44F6-91C3-872710F0C0BB.jpeg

467D9599-0982-44A2-AE9D-F28A8FC4D24D.jpeg

05705E46-5DBA-4D29-8D3B-080595ABE761.jpeg

Can you post some pictures of the MM close up? It will either be strike doubling or die erosion. The mint stopped hand punching MMs beginning in 1990 for  cents and nickels and in 1991 for the remainder. They are part of the master die so an OMM or RPM isn’t possible. 

On 8/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, Woods020 said:

The mint stopped hand punching MMs beginning in 1990 for  cents and nickels and in 1991 for the remainder. They are part of the master die so an OMM or RPM isn’t possible. 

There is one way they could still happen (but as far as I know no examples are known).  You would have to have a working hub sunk from both a P and a D Master die.  In theory this could have happened during time period of 1990 to 1996 because Philadelphia was still making dies for both Philadelphia and Denver during those years.  After 1996 Denver began making their own dies so such an error could not occur after that.  Since this is a 1999 it can't be an overmintmark.  It is pretty much certainly die deterioration.

Agree with all said above.  Would not be possible to have a mint error OMM or RPM for this Nickel. Die deterioration gets my vote.  I've personally seen tons of these in my searching. Looks convincing, but not possible.  

One thing I forgot to add, around that time Philadelphia went to the single squeeze hubbing (Denver started earlier) so you couldn't even have an apparent RPM from a slight  misalignment between hubbings.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:43 PM, Conder101 said:

Machine doubling.  Notice it is also on the date digits.

Yes this ^   This happens when one of the dies becomes loose and when struck the die bounces and creates an off center second image lower in relief than the first which is commonly called MD or machine doubling.  The other coin is suffering from a different issue, those dies were used well past their prime and what you see there is die deterioration doubling.   Both of these are very common and can be found on hundreds of thousands of coins, neither have any numismatic premium.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I would describe that as die erosion doubling, since it's  a repeating effect with each coin struck from the dies in that late state. The term die abrasion doubling is used also by some.