• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First and Last
1 1

10 posts in this topic

So I picked up two Liberty Nickels today or V nickels we used to call them.   The first year (No CENTS) 1883 and the last year 1912  I would please ask for some opinions on what grade you all would think they may be? Don't be shy I want honest T not sweet T

I am looking maybe a 15 - 25 for the 1883 and a 6 - 10 for the 1912 

S20210809_0002.jpg

S20210809_0003.jpg

S20210809_0006.jpg

S20210809_0007.jpg

Ya James ..I think the obverse on the 1912 makes it a 6 and the 1883 a 15 with the dings in it I am thinking.

On 8/9/2021 at 4:19 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Those seem like pretty good grades I worry about the 1912 but only the obverse. I think your about right 🤓

Well, I'd suggest G-4 with damage for 1883 and AG-2.5 or 3 for 1912. Grade depends on the worst side, not the best. Theoe resemble 1950s circulation pulls or "grab bag" material.

The 83 has VF20 wear, but I agree I think those dings are big enough to make it damaged. It’s cruddy but in no way is the wear G or VG. The dings kill you. 

The 12 I would say is a VG-10. 

These may be good candidates for a little acetone bath to get rid of some of the crud. 

Edited by Woods020

On 8/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, Woods020 said:

The 83 has VF20 wear, but I agree I think those dings are big enough to make it damaged. It’s cruddy but in no way is the wear G or VG. The dings kill you. 

The 12 I would say is a VG-10. 

These may be good candidates for a little acetone bath to get rid of some of the crud. 

Ya Woods they are definitely cruddy they may get a bath seeing they are not worth a whole lot of money anyway. 

On 8/9/2021 at 9:32 PM, RWB said:

Theoe resemble 1950s circulation pulls or "grab bag" material.

Yes RWB I did get them from the grab box LoL..They were cheep a few bucks a piece and if I break even or loose it's short money. I check Grab boxes all the time. Whenever I get the chance to get a first year and a last year in a series I will pick them up. After that who knows what will happen .. My first ASE was a 1986 and a 2021 now I have all of them, Silly me...:whistle:

On 8/9/2021 at 6:32 PM, RWB said:

Grade depends on the obverse side, not the reverse. 

Sounds like something you'd find when digging through historical documents. Today it's grade the obverse and if nothing major is wrong with the reverse, the grade sticks. 

On 8/9/2021 at 9:32 PM, RWB said:

Grade depends on the worst side, not the best.

This is what I wrote - not "the obverse side."

Well I gave the old girl a bath in some soapy hot water for a while she is a little cleaner but not good enough to take her to the prom dance. Maybe a movie where it is a little darker.  

S20210810_0006.jpg

S20210810_0008.jpg