• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another key member of the PCGS staff calling it quits.

12 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2021 at 3:02 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is he also a dealer or used to be ?

He is/was a dealer that specialized in mint error coins, from his comments ats I get the feeling that the ANA show next week is the last.

On 8/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, gmarguli said:

Was he an actual employee of PCGS? I assumed he was on payroll as an outside consultant. 

I am not clear on if he was ever a formal employee or not.  Its my understanding that he was one of the original dealers that Hall contracted with to develop the PCGS brand and he has been the go to individual when PCGS needed someone to evaluate an error coin.   But the difference of employee or consultant is more semantics as his retirement is a considerable loss for PCGS in the mint error arena, I imagine that his expertise will be very difficult to replace.

This is not surprising to me. The ones who have a golden parachute will jump.

Next those who have a counterpart in the other company with a better track record of toeing the line will be pushed

then it goes downhill from there

I have ridden such a roller coaster twice before it is no fun

I expected this to start several years ago and am surprised it took this long.

I was sure of it when there were a couple of high level departures a few months back. If I was working there I would have said to any who would listen to hang tight it is going to be a very bumpy ride

I think Fred is a consultant, not an employee of PCGS or member of their staff.

And that’s far from semantics. How many PCGS employees and staff members conduct their own businesses and have their own tables at coin shows? For all we know, this has zero to do with the buyout of PCGS.

Edited by MarkFeld

On 8/7/2021 at 4:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

Fred Weinberg is retiring, he makes the third key employee to leave PCGS since the recent buyout.

Mint Error News article

Not an employee, but one of the original PCGS authorized dealers.