• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Osburn 1844 Seated Dollar.
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I never thought I would find myself complimenting a fellow member on his choice of acquisition -- and forgive me if I offend anyone lurking out there if it appears I am carving out an exception here, but I am going to have to let Walkerfan slide on this one.  Yes, I am well aware of the guidelines dictating departures from precedents, but "the fault, dear Brutus is not in our stars / But in ourselves, for we are underlings." Capiche?  It takes guts to publicly display a battered and bruised survivor -- deemed "uncirculated," if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black -- but these most unfortunate deficits are readily acknowledged by the OP with a powerfully demonstrated presentation accompanied by professional imaging. To be unsympathetic as to the OP's plight would be inexcusably cruel.  As far as the 🐓 man goes, you've done really well here, Walkerfan. With little or no credibility left to jeopardize, I am throwing all my support behind you and your magnificent denticular treasure. (I am not even going to bring up the small matter of that typo on the label. We'll just let sleeping dogs lie.) Best presentation I've seen on the Forum in quite some time!  Thanks for sharing it with the congregation.  Five 🐓 🐓 🐓 🐓 🐓 Roosters!^^

RETRACTION:  What appeared, at first blush, to be a typo to me is in effect an optical illusion. For lack of a better term, "compression" of the last two letters in Osburn on the label suggests an "m," which under enhanced magnification proved to be otherwise. My error.  The OP is to be commended for presenting the little-known back-story of this curious coin and its significance in the annals of numismatic history.

Thanks, guy for all the positive (I think lol ) remarks and encouragement.  I am becoming somewhat of a Seated Dollar geek! LOL!!  I have been reading up on them and searching for them, all over the internet.  I am captivated by their beauty, history and scarcity, which are pretty much the same attributes that drew me into Early Walkers.  I wasn’t really looking for this date, in particular, but just happened to come across it.  When I researched it; I found out how truly scarce it was.  I figured that it was a good buying opportunity, as the price was $400 below NGC retail.  I guess that it was just in the cards for me.  Work hard, do your due diligence, and luck will find you.  :foryou:      

Edited by Walkerfan

On 8/12/2021 at 9:20 AM, Just Bob said:

When you first posted this, I though you were just showing us a nice coin that was going to be in an upcoming auction, and giving us some background information. I did not realize that you had bought it.  Very nice score!

Thanks, buddy.  I appreciate that.  :bigsmile:  

On 8/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

RETRACTION:  What appeared, at first blush, to be a typo to me is in effect an optical illusion. For lack of a better term, "compression" of the last two letters in Osburn on the label suggests an "m," which under enhanced magnification proved to be otherwise. My error.  The OP is to be commended for presenting the little-known back-story of this curious coin and its significance in the annals of numismatic history.

The NGC software would not allow me to post the full name of my coin's pedigree, as the diminutive of 'Richard' has been deemed obscene by the powers that be.  :kidaround:  

Edited by Walkerfan

On 8/12/2021 at 7:06 PM, Walkerfan said:

The NGC software would not allow me to post the full name of my coin's pedigree, as the diminutive of 'Richard' has been deemed obscene by the powers that be.  :kidaround:  

That's okay.  The coin speaks majestically for itself. Great find!

On 8/12/2021 at 7:12 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

That's okay.  The coin speaks majestically for itself. Great find!

Thanks, coin brother.  I'm really happy with it.  :grin:  

On 8/12/2021 at 6:57 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Solid Five (5) Roosters 🐓! None graded higher. (thumbsu

Theoretically, I could do better but WHEN?  And at what cost?  And would the eye appeal be as nice? 

So, my mindset was: "A bird in the hand is much better than two (or another) in the bush".  

I also love that it is PROOFLIKE.........That makes it SPECIAL. 

The pedigree is COOL, also. 

Thanks again, for the kind words. ;)     

Edited by Walkerfan

On 8/13/2021 at 7:01 PM, RWB said:

Pedigree is only correct if your coin is breeding stock. Who were your coin's parents? NGC's use is incorrect, and always has been.

totally not true....same old garbage as before.....just cant give up that bone nor admit its not correct...sad....

Provenance or Pedigree?  You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to.  As long as we all know what we are talking about, let us resolve to settle our differences amicably, and to live out our lives as Providence decrees.  🐓