• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost or damaged US Mint coins
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I ordered 3 of the 2021 ASE Type 2 proofs from the mint the other day and the package arrived today. The box was taped shut with scotch tape, not factory sealed and in it was 1 coin and no paperwork. I am still waiting for customer service to call me back but has anyone had to deal with anything like this from the mint? 

The worst part is I work for the USPS (currently) and this doesn't surprise me at all. I also know USPS won't do anything about it because the mint doesn't purchase insurance. I don't think it was theft or they would have taken all 3 coins. My sense it was poorly sealed and came open somewhere and a mail sorter taped it shut as best they could and sent it on. I see empty packages daily in mail sort, it's very common. 

EDIT: Well I spoke to the US Mint customer service. If I understood the girl correctly they are going to refund me for the 2 missing coins or at least that is what she implied. I also called the local post office and spoke to the supervisor about it. The chance those 2 coins are turned in by an honest employee is pretty slim. It likely happened in one of the plants and ended up in someone's pockets. Pretty happy with the mint response to this. The only thing they could have done was package it better but stuff happens in the mail. 

Edited by mtnstyne

Surprise they offer you refund on 2 coins they should have buyer buy some insurance when buying coins “risky business” sending collectibles through any carrier . That sucks 2 of them were lost in mail (An honest employee would turn them in highly doubtful I agree there) then it just became theft on their part if they decide to keep something that is not their property 

Even if they did get turned in, if it didn't happen at the local post office the chance of them being able to match them up with his open box is very very slight.

I do know they dispose of items found from damaged packages  that they can't reunite by auction, but I have no idea how or where these auction occur.  I suspect they go through one of the GSA surplus property sales.

Sometimes ordering any coin having it shipped through mail first class makes me a little nervous sometimes but so far I haven’t lost any coins in mail , but it risky business seeing some company name on top with wording “numismatic” “rare coins” “coins” too easy for theft to happen all post office worker has to do is scan the package been dropped off and walk off with your package … if I’m sending someone a coin I wouldn’t write coins or something on header but even tho insurance covers it still having the real coin in your hand is better than insurance payoff . Probably better send higher quality coins through registered mail or something have the person come to post office and sign for it right there on the spot 

@Jason Abshier... the entire Numismatic Industrial Complex is largely dependent on reliable ground and air transportation services. I do not believe they would tolerate any entity that would pose a threat to their interests. Nevertheless, your concerns are valid and perfectly understandable.

• I would find the refund to be acceptable as long as I can still acquire the two coins that I wanted. If it was one of those 'sold out' deals, I wouldn't be happy.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, thebeav said:
  • I would find the refund to be acceptable as long as I can still acquire the two coins that I wanted.

[You'd have a better shot at finding a cherry 🍒 red Corvette Stingray from the 1960's in mint-state condition.]