• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting for the first time!
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I’m new to coin grading and just submitted my first coin to NGC. I found the whole process extremely frustrating and quite difficult. Has anyone else has this experience. I feel like the forms have a place in 2003 but in 2021 it should all be web based forms with easy drop downs. 

im let feeling quite anxious with what I’m going to get back. And the price structure is difficult to work out. I’m sure the more you submit the more you get used to it but I feel NGC could massively simplify the process, especially for new numismatics collectors

On 7/18/2021 at 10:38 AM, The broke bullion boys said:

im let feeling quite anxious with what I’m going to get back.

I guess you want to know "what will be returned to you???   Your coin that you sent in in an NGC slab with a 'determination' on the label  If you're not satisfied then crack it out and get a second opinion.  (PCGS, ICG, ANACS, etc)

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling

I also use the online form. Once you do it a time or two it gets easier.  Can be a bit confusing but just read everything carefully. 

On 7/23/2021 at 9:22 AM, The broke bullion boys said:

Unfortunately we can use the online form in the UK :(

That's unfortunate you can't use the online form in the UK.  Odd that they wouldn't use the same front end.

Having submitted to NGC & CGC a few times I'd even add that the CGC online forms for both comics & cards is far superior.  Hopefully with the new holding company we'll see some new efficiencies and consistency in the webservices space across all of the companies.

....however, the company I'm with is part of a private corporation holding company style with 5 individual entities.  While we've all shared the same IT resources for at least a decade each company is allowed to maintain the look and feel of their web presence individually.  So it's not a given that NGC will incorporate elements of the CGC online form or that the UK office will conform to stateside standards.

A small adjustment might be helpful, also:

The first submission must always be accompanied by an appropriate grovel and kowtow (kneel and touch the ground with your diseased forehead in worshipful submission). Next state clearly and loudly that you are the most unworthy of unworthies, lower than a snake to the ground, and all errors are caused by your personal incompetence. You must beg the TPG to forgive your ignorance and bestow their blessings upon the disgusting bit of rubbish you send to them. Further, you must pledge to name all your descendants down to the 5th generation after "The TPG That Shall Not Be Named." (Blessings and Peace be upon them!)

Performing these simple acts of reverence MIGHT -- MIGHT ! - prevent your coin from being returned in a body bag complete with toe-tag.

:)

Edited by RWB

On 7/23/2021 at 8:09 AM, Revenant said:

I would agree that their system is a bit dated and they're honestly probably already working on a new version, but it's easy enough to use the online submission system. That's what I do.

Easy enough for you to say, Revenant!  Now try doing it on a cellphone.📱  The broke bullion boys [bbb] are our "brothers." Some of the foregoing comments are insensitive and unhelpful even if made in jest.  I vaguely recall reading somewhere that authorized dealers -- plentiful in New York City, may be in short supply where the bbb are from -- but they would be pleased to assist you in this regard.

The membership, must acknowledge and accept that not everyone is equipped to negotiate the twists and turns submission forms present.  I know several people who are eligible for government entitlements, but are helpless due to various developmental disabilities and compromised cognitive functions.  They are also too embarrassed to admit their deficiencies and ask for outside help.

I gather you boys have already submitted your submission.  All you can do now is further acquaint yourself with the standard one-size-fits-all on-line forms and await the results.  It would seem to me -- and I've addressed this matter before -- the architect of this masterpiece may want to reconsider providing a short list of forms to be used, labeled Form A, Form B, etc. which would mimic the simple U.S. Internal Revenue Service's 1040EZ format for members with straight, uncomplicated submissions.  I wish the bbb all the best!   🐓

On 7/23/2021 at 9:22 AM, The broke bullion boys said:

Unfortunately we can use the online form in the UK :(

the instruction are fine. But the form is all over the place and doesn’t instil any confidence.

maybe I’ll feel better when my first coin is returned  

If you only sent one coin, the fixed costs are going to eat you alive. I try to hold them until I have at least 10.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:17 PM, VKurtB said:

If you only sent one coin, the fixed costs are going to eat you alive. I try to hold them until I have at least 10.

It is not clear exactly what was submitted and in what quantity but your reasoning is sound.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Easy enough for you to say, Revenant!  Now try doing it on a cellphone.📱  The broke bullion boys [bbb] are our "brothers." Some of the foregoing comments are insensitive and unhelpful even if made in jest.  I vaguely recall reading somewhere that authorized dealers -- plentiful in New York City, may be in short supply where the bbb are from -- but they would be pleased to assist you in this regard.

The membership, must acknowledge and accept that not everyone is equipped to negotiate the twists and turns submission forms present.  I know several people who are eligible for government entitlements, but are helpless due to various developmental disabilities and compromised cognitive functions.  They are also too embarrassed to admit their deficiencies and ask for outside help.

I gather you boys have already submitted your submission.  All you can do now is further acquaint yourself with the standard one-size-fits-all on-line forms and await the results.  It would seem to me -- and I've addressed this matter before -- the architect of this masterpiece may want to reconsider providing a short list of forms to be used, labeled Form A, Form B, etc. which would mimic the simple U.S. Internal Revenue Service's 1040EZ format for members with straight, uncomplicated submissions.  I wish the bbb all the best!   🐓

The essential key to handling both the NGC submission form AND IRS Form 1040 (not A or EZ) is to not look at it as a whole, but item by item. Do not let item 7 ruin your item 2 experience. Stay chill. Don’t panic. Oh, and do me one favor, okay? Do NOT wait until some major show to learn how to submit coins and clog up NGC’s table for a hour straight, like too many did at Orlando. It’s rude and irresponsible, okay? I spent 80 minutes (an hour and 20 for those of you in Rio Linda) filling out my forms at the Rest/Lunch area at Summer FUN so that I wouldn’t be wasting the time of NGC’s staff or the other people with coins to submit. I submitted three forms together and saved a buttload on return shipping. Each form had the $10 handling fee, but shipping was combined. I had two GSA CC dollars, three very high grade modern halves, and 5 non-modern British Crowns.  Yes, I’m an unrepentant Anglophile. 

By the way, submitting at a show is the way to get your coins into the system quickly. There is no mail opening delay.

Edited by VKurtB