• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I do ok today ?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

We went shopping and we got this girl, 1851 2.5 is one of the most common. She is a bit worn out and got a lot of dings and lots of scratches but I don't think it has been cleaned. But in170 years anything can happen . It also has some die cracks . I looked it up and even at G4 it is worth $500 ???   I paid $340 .............Did I do ok today ?  or did I lose today ?

S20210717_0005.jpg

S20210717_0004.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Melt value is right at $220 today, however in the current market all gold coins are selling for above melt.   I don't follow gold coin pricing that closely right now as I think they are overpriced so I cannot say for sure if you got a deal, my gut feeling is that assuming the coin is authentic then you did ok.

Appears to be in an old TPG holder.  Maybe yeas or maybe no?   Gold, on Kitco, has been averaging $1800.00 + or - per ounce.  Now your coin is an antique and an 1851 O - Quarter Eagle PCGS AU55 asking price is $1100.00.

Your coin appears to me to have something going on with the date.  Some variety?  or just wear.  Compare to the AU 55 below.  Nice coin.  Gold is always nice even old and worn gold.

41791567o.jpg

It is not in a holder just a card but the weight is correct and I got it from a very reputable dealer  

On 7/17/2021 at 6:19 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Appears to be in an old TPG holder.  Maybe yeas or maybe no?   Gold, on Kitco, has been averaging $1800.00 + or - per ounce.  Now your coin is an antique and an 1851 O - Quarter Eagle PCGS AU55 asking price is $1100.00.

Your coin appears to me to have something going on with the date.  Some variety?  or just wear.  Compare to the AU 55 below.  Nice coin.  Gold is always nice even old and worn gold.

41791567o.jpg

It does have a die break on the date and at 9 o'clock  not sure where to look up that info, It is a 1851 no MM or Philadelphia

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 7/17/2021 at 6:26 PM, J P Mashoke said:

It is a 1851 no MM

Right, I got that.  Maybe it was just use or tired old eyes.  Hard to tell these days.  :roflmao:

Now I don't Grade coins and wholly object to people who do it by internet pictures.  That said I'd agree Jason and say Extra Fine.  That Reverse is very nice for a 170 year old coin.  Good luck with it.  Me, and folks would say "he's crazy" but I would spend a couple bucks and ask NGC to have a look at it and check the Variety Attributes.  Never know - you might get lucky.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Right, I got that.  Maybe it was just use or tired old eyes.  Hard to tell these days.  :roflmao:

Now I don't Grade coins and wholly object to people who do it by internet pictures.  That said I'd agree Jason and say Extra Fine.  That Reverse is very nice for a 170 year old coin.  Good luck with it.  Me, and folks would say "he's crazy" but I would spend a couple bucks and ask NGC to have a look at it and check the Variety Attributes.  Never know - you might get lucky.

I don't think sending it in would change the $ value much Alex, it is the same from G2 to AU 55 . Perhaps a attribution would factor a change, But that would be a question for one of our more knowledgeable member's or DW Lange maybe ?

S20210717_0009.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke