• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver 1960,62 and 1963 Washington quarters

19 posts in this topic

Not up to grading standards, Keepers though, Silver coins.

General rule of thumb if the coin is not worth $150, it is not worth grading. I just bought a graded 1961 Proof 66 yesterday for 17.45. Granted, it was an exceptional deal, But generally these quarters go for $25-$30/

Good Luck and thank you for sharing.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, Dusty3333 said:

I talked to a coin collecting here in Maine said that these coins have sold for more than 20,000 at auction is this true

In order to get money like that you would need top population grades. The coins you have aren’t close to what they need to be to achieve that level of value. 

Ahh. The last person who went looking for a gold mine accidentally fell down a rabbit hole (apparently they look similar). Sleep on it and in the morning ask yourself does this sound reasonable?  Maybe $20,000 but sounds fishy to me. Believe it or not there are some shady characters in the coin business 

image.thumb.jpg.c13c40cee6f42f2f53a98fcb4795d915.jpgWell first of all I did not know how common or rare this point is that’s why am on here for help and paid to become a member very new at thisWell first of all I did not know how common or rare this point is that’s why am on here for help and paid to become a member very new at thisMy grandfather gave these to me a while back

Edited by Dusty3333

On 7/17/2021 at 1:10 PM, Dusty3333 said:

How do you go about getting that type of grade

You don't "get" that type of grade, the coin has to be in top quality condition for the TPG graders to assign a high level grade.   The three coins you have shown here are not top quality condition coins and have no value over the silver value; which at this time is about $4.65 each.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, Dusty3333 said:

The 1960 coin I pulled out of a sleeve that was uncirculated so I don’t understand how it could not be in that good of condition maybe you could explain

First uncirculated is a range of conditions that starts at MS60 (the bottom of the uncirculated range) and goes to MS70 (a coin that would be considered perfect).   I can only judge your coins from this one photo of one side of the coins, but from that photo your 1960 does not look to be uncirculated.    Again all I have is the photo to judge from and maybe if I saw the coin in hand I would form a different opinion.   Second just because someone labeled a coin as uncirculated does not mean that it really is in uncirculated condition.   And thirdly value is determined from a combination of both the condition and the rarity of the coin.   1960 may seem old as it was made over 60 years ago; however the Philadelphia mint made over 30 million quarters in 1960.  The Washington quarter design started in 1932 and only 5 million quarters were made that first year at the Philadelphia mint; so you can see there are many years when the mintage was much lower (making those more rare and more valuable) than your 1960 coin.

I am not trying to be harsh, your coins are very nice and a great memento that you received from your grandfather.   They are great coins for an album collector; but these are not the kind of coins that are worth large sums of money.

image.thumb.jpg.47ba7310a7438b37248fb5449df521b1.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.17aac187638096285e4ff3b9e79b6d59.jpgI totally get that I want you to be honest I’m asking because I really don’t know and this has no mint mark and pack it says uncirculated The photos do not do this going any justice that’s for sure but please know I am open to harsh comments and opinions I am trying to figure yourself and learn what’s what so I appreciate that

No one's trying to be harsh. It's totally natural for you to ask what the coins are worth. It's when you brought us this story about some intellectually_challenged_person waving prospects of $20K around that it got odd, because that's roughly equivalent to someone talking about being promoted immediately from teenage Little League to pitch for the Yankees--isn't going to happen and whoever suggested it is probably not going to be credible. So your wisest course here is to dismiss Mr. $20K, and anything else he ever says about coins, ever. Then you can proceed to learning why they are worth what they are worth.

With regard to coins that have been well protected, you should know that uncirculated status comes come in eleven grades from MS-60 to MS-70. For quarters of that era, above MS-65 is pretty rare. Most uncirculated early 1960s Washington quarters will get MS-60 through 63, and that means that those grades are not very rare at all.

Now. The odds are that your three quarters will fall within that common range, which will make them worth a minimal premium over their silver value. If you want to hope that one or two might be worth a few bucks more--which is by far the likeliest positive outcome--then feel free to post well-cropped images of those coins, front and back please. Cropping is essential, as are both sides. We can definitely give you opinions as to what exact grades such coins might deserve, and you can estimate their values from there. But again, I stress that the odds of this being worth your effort are very low. The odds are that in the best probable case scenario, you will find you did all that just to learn that one is worth $5 or $10 more than base silver value. If of course money doesn't matter, and it's about collecting and correct grading, then it'll be worth your while for the learning experience. But it won't, almost certainly, be financially worth your while. With that in mind, do as you see fit.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, Dusty3333 said:

I totally get that I want you to be honest I’m asking because I really don’t know and this has no mint mark and pack it says uncirculated The photos do not do this going any justice that’s for sure but please know I am open to harsh comments and opinions I am trying to figure yourself and learn what’s what so I appreciate that

Both sides yes, but those are not well cropped. The kinds of details and dings we are looking for require well cropped photos where the coin image basically fills the post from side to side, and they must not be held in your fingers. Lay them on a clean cloth, photograph them straight on, and crop the photo so that only the coin even shows. Flip over, do same. And careful with those fingers, because you are greasing up the surfaces near the edges. If you wanted to make sure the coin was never worth much, fingermarking them would be the simplest way, so you do not want that.

Did grandpa say anything or leave any notes. Looks like he was headed in a direction and maybe you can figure it out. Family heirlooms love over melt value sounds nice. If he or someone who was close to him may have insight into his thinking. Having not established rip. Welcome. Maybe start by checking ebay sold prices    White cotton gloves inexpensive    Then quality coin capsules.  eBay 101$ size $8 and up lots of deals. Cotton t-shirt material also handy

Edited by James Zyskowski

Here is a helpful resource for you to review provided by NGC, this is for the 1960 quarter but in this Coin Explorer section of NGC you can look up information on any coin.   At the top is a brief summary and as you scroll down you can see the NGC guide price, the number of coins that NGC has graded at each uncirculated grade, and some actual prices that graded coins have sold for in previous auctions.  Please note that these figures are for coins that have been graded and raw coins like those you have typically sell for less.  At the bottom you can see some photos (some better that others) of actual NGC graded coins in various grades.

NGC Coin Explorer

Dusty3333 please do not take offense to the comments. These guys know what they are doing. As an example I am including pictures of a MS66 quarter NGC graded, plus two sides cropped. This coin shows an NGCvalue of $15. This is a very nice uncirculated coin but only exhibits a minimal price. I bought it graded for not more than $20. Hope this helps. Numismatics is a cruel but rewarding hobby. Best wishes.

54CC3638-1395-4407-AE6E-1D669DA5AFBA.jpeg

11CE31C3-DD6C-46B5-A531-F2A73C1B7CEF.jpeg

A1145CEC-4C83-492E-AC54-AD3DF791BF22.jpeg

On 7/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, Dusty3333 said:

I talked to a coin collecting here in Maine said that these coins have sold for more than 20,000 at auction is this true

Complete falsehood. A lie. An ignorant lie.

As others have said. the three quarters are worth the value of their silver content - approximately $5 each. Original bags of these exist.