• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fingerprints on NGC/PCGS coins

10 posts in this topic

I received two more Morgans today, one each from NGC and PCGS. Both of them have a fingerprint on them, though the one on the NGC is clearly more pronounced. So I remember watching NGC's videos explaining the grading process and they were handling coins without gloves. 

So the question is, do they really do that? Could the print be a result of their handling?

I really kind of doubt it after grading millions of coins. Is it possible you hadn’t noticed it. Do you have a photo of it before sending it in?

maybe if you do you can ask them to read-do it with conservation.

21 minutes ago, Jeremy468 said:

So the question is, do they really do that?

Yes they really do that.

21 minutes ago, Jeremy468 said:

Could the print be a result of their handling?

It could, it could also have been on the coin when they graded it.  A fingerprint doesn't automatically mean  a details grade, nor does it automatically mean a grade less than Mint State.

10 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Just to clarify, are these coins you sent in for grading or coins you just bought in the holders?

I purchased both of them, and they are both 62s. In the NGC photo (which rarely seem to be the quality I am looking for), part of it can faintly be seen.

Just now, Jeremy468 said:

I purchased both of them, and they are both 62s. In the NGC photo (which rarely seem to be the quality I am looking for), part of it can faintly be seen.

Ok then that would suggest to me that the print was on the coin at the time of grading rather than placed there by an NGC employee.  While it certainly is possible for an employee to inadvertently touch a coin and leave a print, I suspect that happens very, very infrequently.

Any pictures ? if not take some pictures post them up I’ve received a few coins I though there finger prints on coins they turned out to be dirty greasy finger prints that dried out on the slab they wiped off easy , they weren’t on the coin but they casted a faint shadow on the coin it looked like they were actually on the coin but they weren’t … I’ve seen 1 dark toned Morgan at coin show once that did have finger print on the coin while it resides in slab it had grade MS64 I tilted the coin back and forth through light I noticed it was showing in all direction regardless how light shined off it it was definitely on the coin … I guess we have understand the graders grade a coin for strike and luster and contact marks as well as AT and harsh cleaning I guess finger prints don’t count  

6 hours ago, JJordan8 said:

I own one with a fingerprint on the slab inside. Though scratch proof case, I rubbed it so much trying to remove the spot, it has rub scratches now. 

Stop doing that.

30 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Stop doing that.

Hilarious! But yes everyone, the fingerprints are definitely on the coins. I guess I am blessed with unique toning. The major one was actually part of a collection, the McClaren Collection, so I suppose I have evidence in case there are any pertinent criminal investigations.