• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW RARE COIN??
1 1

11 posts in this topic

This coin is a 1943 steel wheat.it is magnetic, but also I'm sure the error on this is an extra "D" printed above the word "liberty"...check it out n let me know if I'm wrong?

16255979956968317680870024114917.jpg

16255980606249144175385910715324.jpg

Not an error, what you think you have is impossible to happen during the striking of a coin.
As Just Bob stated, just some sort of mark that resembles a D.

Also coins are not printed, they are struck, Banknotes are printed.

Edited by Greenstang

I meant imprint* my mistake ..I'll just do a little extra examining and hopefully catch a coin store around to check it out thank u for the feedback:)

To the OP:  Before you run off, a question:  under high magnification do you see bas-relief or alto-relievo? Low- as opposed to high-relief?

If the latter, however unlikely (due to the long institutional memory of members on this site) you could theoretically claim you own a unique DDO, or "double D obverse," not to be confused with its rare stepson DDO, or "doubled-die obverse."  xD

Yes, thank you. I had to look that up but yes. And was going to say , I wiped it a little since I really haven't cleaned the penny, it might've just been a blemish but each time I look closer. It appears to be sort of like a water mark type thing for coins instead of paper money. Something like that to me. But I have yet to obtain magnify glass to check super close lol next time

1 hour ago, Selmz said:

Yes, thank you. I had to look that up but yes. And was going to say , I wiped it a little since I really haven't cleaned the penny, it might've just been a blemish but each time I look closer. It appears to be sort of like a water mark type thing for coins instead of paper money. Something like that to me. But I have yet to obtain magnify glass to check super close lol next time

The mint doesn't use "watermarks" or other devices that are used on paper money.  The following link shows how dies are made. 

Www.doubleddie.com/58201.html

https://www.doubleddie.com

From the link

If it was necessary to have a mint mark on the coins to identify the Mint at which the coins were being produced, the mint mark was the final part of the design added to the working die.  A die maker at the Mint used a thin steel rod (punch) that had the appropriate mint mark letter engraved at the one end.  Holding the mint mark punch in the appropriate position on the working die he tapped the mint mark punch with a mallet to leave an impression of the mint mark on the working die.  It frequently required more than one tap with the mallet to leave a satisfactory impression of the mint mark on the die, and the die maker would repeat the taps with the mallet until the mint mark impression was deemed satisfactory.

The old picture  also from www.doubleddie.com shows a mint engraver punching the mm into a die.  Engraving is a skilled trade and it would be almost impossible for him to put a mm so far away from the required area. Almost like have a professional roofer mistakenly putting shingles on the side of your house instead of the roof

Mint$20Engraver$20Punching$20Mint$20Mark$20$281$29$20150$20dpi.jpg

Many members who have answered your post are very knowledgeable of the minting and die making process.  They are telling you that your coin could not have left the mint like that.  They aren't guessing or speculating, they are offering you accurate info based on years of study and experience.

Edited by Oldhoopster

[I apologize to any member 😔 who took my comment, made mostly in "what if" jest, and ascribed to it some semblance of legitimacy.  I am familiar with the mint-mark application process -- I dislike the term "engraving" as used in this context whether valid or not -- but fail to understand why it is the USM lags so far behind in innovative technology than that of the BEP which has provided us with embedded security threads, microprinting and watermarks. 🤔  Am I to assume this carryover from Neanderthal times is superior to and more cost-efficient than the Engraver who incorporated an incised "M" for MacNeil unobtrusively onto a corner of the base of the Standing Liberty Quarter? Why aren't we incising mint marks into dies?

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

but fail to understand why it is the USM lags so far behind in innovative technology than that of the BEP which has provided us with embedded security threads, microprinting and watermarks. 

The BEP lags way behind technologically as well.  Embedded security strips, and microprinting existed on foreign banknote  LONG before they appears on US notes, and watermarks probably date back more than 100 years before we started using them.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Why aren't we incising mint marks into dies?

We have been incising mintmarks into dies since 1838.  I suspect you mean having them incuse on the coins.  Probably since because the mintmarks are typically out in an unprotected field area, the raised mintmark on the die would be prone to chipping.  The incuse F on the buffalo nickels was known to chip off the hub from time to time resulting in nickels without the designers initial.  Also in the case of die clashes the mintmark, being the highest point on the die would one, be much more likely to sustain damage, and two tend to be ground off the die during attempts to polish the die or remove clashmarks.  The AW on the walking liberty half dollars sometimes suffered that fate.