• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Davison Dairy Co. Token
1 1

11 posts in this topic

A nice old trade token from around 1920/30 ish, Cunningham is the best reference book for Michigan but it won't tell you much beyond size, shape and composition. For more historical info I've had the best results from City, County and Historical Society websites/books. I see these fairly often and they can normally go for around 5-10.

50 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Three is all that are currently know. Thanks for posting the TC website Bob, I always forget about it even though I have it saved in my browser on my desktop and phone. 

zreed, TC.com is a great site with good info and a lot of tokens that aren't always listed in the traditional references. Definitely a website I use, when I remember to look. lol 

I tried to do a business search on the Michigan SOS website, and the Genesee County website, but came up empty handed. All I could find was a listing of current businesses on the License and Regs site.  

The info is out there and it can be really hard to find sometimes. Took a quick look on the county website and found this image. 

Davison.jpg.189990eb6b73afab8e4481affb0f0d13.jpg

It may or may not be associated with the token but it could give you a lead. I took a quick look at the History of Genesee County Michigan, published 1879, and there wasn't anything that mentioned Davison Dairy Co. by name but there were several cheese/dairy factories/associations mentioned. More leads. I didn't see anything in the Michigan Bureau of Labor report for 1903 that I have but did see some labor statistics for Farm workers in Davison. I'd keep searching along these lines, maybe contact the Michigan Milk Producers Association or keep going through old government reports of the era. I'm throwing these things out there as examples of what, how and where to search for this stuff. Just because the token says Davison Dairy Co. doesn't necessarily mean that the actual business was called that, if you want to find out more you have to broaden the search sometimes. 

1462017406_Davison1.thumb.png.919de5229bd1daa1fa047712fa5c4ec3.png

I keep forgetting about all this stuff, been awhile since I researched a token. You can try Mich - TAMS Michigan Token and Medal Society (google.com) , not sure if they are still functioning and/or try picking up or downloading old copies of THE JUNK BOX, it's a publication that MI TAMS put/s out. I pick these up whenever I can, an invaluable source of info. Internet Archive Search: the junk box , NNP has copies as well.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

4 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Good info, Mike. Researching the towns, businesses, and people involved is one of the things that makes token collecting so interesting.

Both the most fun and most frustrating 😂. I’m shocked at how little information is out there for some of the old businesses and clubs. I guess I am spoiled growing up with all information just a computer away, but man I have several I can find nothing on. Seems a business would have some sort of record but not always the case. But it’s fun to try and solve the mystery. 

Wow, you guys really took a couple photos and ran with them. This token was found by my mom in some of my grandfather's things she's had for a long time. I was mainly curious as to the approximate year since I do have some civil war tokens from around the county already.