• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New seller of coins.

16 posts in this topic

I am new to this, I have a few coins that I have purchased on auctions. I want to see if I can sell them for a good price in upgraded condition, several are uncirculated. I want to get them graded, but not sure how expensive that is. I will post an example. 

20210612_143640.jpg

The truth is -- yes, I know I've said this before -- no one can answer this question for you.  There are too many variables to consider.  The most helpful suggestion I can make is write ✍ or call 📞 NGC, and request a few copies of their current, revised Submission Forms.  There are 14 sections; review all applicable sections and fill them out carefully. Double-check everything. And good 👍 luck!

Welcome to the forum. I will include below a link to instructions on how to submit, and it also includes the costs in the tier section. Economy, the cheapest route, will be $22 for coins under $300 in value. It goes up from there. Don’t forget shipping costs to and from the grader. You want to insure them so it’s not cheap to ship. Depending on how many you submit, how quick you want them back, etc you realistically are looking at all in costs of say $40-$60 per coin. Again it’s variable depending on many factors. 

Before you submit if you will post clear, well focused pictures front and back of each coin you are considering many members here can give you opinions on if it’s worth it or not and a potential grade. General rule is unless a graded coin is worth say $200 or more it isn’t worth grading. Differing people set the threshold differently, and if the coin has sentimental value it’s irrelevant. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/how-to-submit/

56 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Welcome OldPete ....May we also see the Reverse of the coin please. 

It won't let me attach the file, it's too big. 

Just now, OldPete said:

It won't let me attach the file, it's too big. 

Crop the pictures. A little cropping goes a long way to reducing file size. 

4 minutes ago, OldPete said:

I cropped it but it still didn't change the size of the file.

Are you taking them on a cell phone? If not the simplest thing is to do it that way. Take a picture of the coin, clearly focused, where the coin is filling say 75% of the frame. Then crop it tight while not cutting off the edges. I posted probably 8 pictures in a thread recently that way. Sometimes I have had the same issue where two won’t work. I can’t explain it always. But cell phone Jpegs should be smaller file size than a raw file from a pro camera. 

4 minutes ago, Freddie74 said:

I too am new to coin collecting.  I gathered all the piggy banks in the family and logged over 1000 pennies.  I then saw the information about the 1982 D small date copper penny.  I have 46 1982 pennies, 35 of those are 'D's'.  The one I'm sending today is a small date, copper, I believe penny.  It weigh's 3.09 grams.  Can you tell me if I am correct in thinking that I have a 1982 D, small date, copper penny? Thanks

PICT0008 (5).jpg

As stated start your own thread, but please show me where the D (Denver) mint mark is because I certainly don’t see it. 

22 hours ago, OldPete said:

I am new to this, I have a few coins that I have purchased on auctions.

Can you give members a lot more info and better photos (sharper, full frame, etc.) ? The 1890 dollar pictured as an ordinary EF with the usual dings and scrapes. Is there a mintmark? None= Philadelphia, O=New Orleans, S=San Francisco, CC= Carson, NV.

An 1890-CC in EF retail of about $95; the others are closer to melt at about $30....provided you can find a buyer for an unauthenticated coin like that.