• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 S Barber Dime

13 posts in this topic

The only value in this coin is in the silver content. The numismatic value is long gone from circulation and scrubbing as Coinbuf said. It’s worth roughly $2.80 in silver depending on spot when you look. Not a long or exciting story. Sorry. 

well what would you expect from an era of the war to end all wars!  the beginning of th eboy scouts. boy thaat was the days before talkies when charlie was waddling around teh bi screen.  oh the good old day just need a little polish :) 

50 minutes ago, Kimberlyn said:

This one hasn't been cleaned I received it as change

20210610_050655.jpg

20210610_050610.jpg

Au contraire ma chère, this cent has been very harshly cleaned, and is not the famous doubled die.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, Kimberlyn said:

This one hasn't been cleaned I received it as change

Just because you receive a coin in your change does not mean it was not subjected to a cleaning by someone at some time.   This coin too has been very harshly scrubbed, a circulated coin of this age should be a nice uniform brown color, the same color that you see in the protected areas in the coat folds once covered the full surface of the coin.   For whatever reason someone decided to scrub off that patina from most of the coin and destroying the small numismatic value it once had.   The good news is that this coin had a very minimal value before it was worked over.

I've cleaned several circulated coins in my day. Be in the cup holder of the car and spill pop on it or something. Be all nasty and sticky. I take and clean them and roll them up and send them in to the bank to go back into circulation. 

6 hours ago, Kimberlyn said:

one hasn't been cleaned I r

when i was in high school and bored out of my mind i would do these with a pencil eraser ................ i know send me to the deans office........i spent most of my time there anyway .....

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I would not call that dime cleaned. It has a few very fine scrapes running parallel, but the underlying surfaces look original.

8 minutes ago, DWLange said:

I would not call that dime cleaned. It has a few very fine scrapes running parallel, but the underlying surfaces look original.

I’ve seen far worse.