• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help me with this

15 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Greenstang said:

That is just a regular Susan B. Anthony dollar.  No need to grade as it is in circulated condition and worth $1.00

What makes it differnt from the other ones that i see are rare and going for alot of cash

Welcome to the forum, Lil joe. 

In 1979, there were two varieties of Anthony dollar minted in Philadelphia: the "Narrow Rim", also known as the "Far Date", and the "Wide Rim", aka "Near Date." The 'Narrow Rim" variety is the more common, and that is the coin you have. The "Wide Rim" variety is not really rare - examples are not hard to find - but since it is the more scarce of the two, it commands a premium. The higher the grade, meaning the nicer the condition of the coin, the higher the price. Only uncirculated coins with almost no marks visible to the naked eye are worth more than two figures. Raw, ungraded coins will not sell for as much as coins that have been authenticated and graded by one of the major grading companies, such as NGC.

As far as "going for a lot of cash" is concerned, be aware that sellers may ask any price that they want for any coin, but what matters is what coins actually sell for. Coins may be for offered sale on Ebay or Etsy for huge amounts of money, but that does not make the coin worth that much. 

While we are on the subject of shady or deceptive practices, please be aware that Youtube is full of "Get Rich From Pocket Change" videos that are very misleading. Do not look to Youtube for advice on coins.

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

but what matters is what coins actually sell for.

And we've all seen things sit unsold for years until someone finds a sucker or finally decides to accept what the thing is really worth. 

On 6/5/2021 at 8:19 AM, Lil joe974 said:

What makes it differnt from the other ones that i see are rare and going for alot of cash

Where? Either it’s sucker bait or a high asking price that has no shot. Yours? One dollah. I already own hundreds of them nicer than this one.

On 6/5/2021 at 9:52 AM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum, Lil joe. 

In 1979, there were two varieties of Anthony dollar minted in Philadelphia: the "Narrow Rim", also known as the "Far Date", and the "Wide Rim", aka "Near Date." The 'Narrow Rim" variety is the more common, and that is the coin you have. The "Wide Rim" variety is not really rare - examples are not hard to find - but since it is the more scarce of the two, it commands a premium. The higher the grade, meaning the nicer the condition of the coin, the higher the price. Only uncirculated coins with almost no marks visible to the naked eye are worth more than two figures. Raw, ungraded coins will not sell for as much as coins that have been authenticated and graded by one of the major grading companies, such as NGC.

As far as "going for a lot of cash" is concerned, be aware that sellers may ask any price that they want for any coin, but what matters is what coins actually sell for. Coins may be for offered sale on Ebay or Etsy for huge amounts of money, but that does not make the coin worth that much. 

While we are on the subject of shady or deceptive practices, please be aware that Youtube is full of "Get Rich From Pocket Change" videos that are very misleading. Do not look to Youtube for advice on coins.

Welcome to the Forum $1.oo is what the coin is worth Sorry Lil joe ..........My favorite sales pitch is................ ready ............ One of a kind..............Well yes of course it is ................everything is one of a kind

On 6/5/2021 at 8:52 AM, Just Bob said:

Nor from the book with a title very similar to the quoted phrase above.

On 6/5/2021 at 9:19 AM, Lil joe974 said:

This is a rare one but it is a proof coin

S20210319_0005.jpg

9 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

This is a rare one but it is a proof coin

S20210319_0005.jpg

The wide rim coins are only in 79. They switched to this design in 80 and forward. So it’s only rare on a 79. With that said even a wide rim 79 isn’t “big money”. In MS65 I think they are around $30-$40. Circulated like the one posted, even if it was a wide rim which it isn’t, would not be worth more than a few dollars probably. 

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

The wide rim coins are only in 79. They switched to this design in 80 and forward. So it’s only rare on a 79. With that said even a wide rim 79 isn’t “big money”. In MS65 I think they are around $30-$40. Circulated like the one posted, even if it was a wide rim which it isn’t, would not be worth more than a few dollars probably. 

Sorry I posted that one because it has the rare S I believe these 2 are narrow rim

S20210607_0003.jpg

S20210607_0004.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

Sorry I posted that one because it has the rare S I believe these 2 are narrow rim

S20210607_0003.jpg

S20210607_0004.jpg

Nope, only business strikes. These are proofs. And only P mint business strikes.

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Nope, only business strikes. These are proofs. And only P mint business strikes.

Sorry I stand corrected again. I thought he was talking about high priced Susan B's in general .......... 

get those at the car wash all of the time.... the mahine only dispenses small sized dollars..  

On 6/5/2021 at 9:52 AM, Just Bob said:

The "Wide Rim" variety is not really rare - examples are not hard to find

But since the modification came later in the year, at first they WERE considered to be rare because they were very difficult to find.  The reason being that most of the mintage  was in storage and not in circulation.  Most of the close date coins didn't get released until years later and the stockpile was slowly drawn down.  (I say close date rather than Wide rim, because due to centering of the dies it is possible to have a "wide rim" coin with a narrow rim, but the distance of the date to the rim does not change.).