• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Grading 101
2 2

47 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

Go on www.usmint.gov and check the release dates for yourself. 

I did get a E-mail from them to pre-order I am sure they will get there's first being such a big dealer.  My local dealer said you can preorder but if it comes out that date it will be magical LoL

7 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Yes.  It was crashing within the first five minutes of the sale of those Privy Dollars.  You got lucky.  I'll wait until October but I'm not interested in the 'Privy' marked coins.  One Morgan and 1 Peace just to have them is fine.

I can hardly wait to hear what some future generation of newbies think that “O” privy mark is. May I live so long. 

3 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I can hardly wait

Here ya go!    

Morgan 2021 Silver Dollar with CC Privy Mark!! Confirmation In Hand!!

Popular Item 20 viewed per hour      US $375.00
Edited by Alex in PA.

4 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

both already sold out,

By 25 minutes after 12 Noon EST.  I counted 40 or 45 people on the forum ATS that some got 10 but not all.  Who got the rest?

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling

Me neither.  I got on to the Mint Website and had 1 CC Privy in the bag but the it started crashing so I decided to spend a $100.00 for the real thing:

0046734013706830_obv.jpg

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 5/24/2021 at 2:03 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Me neither.  I got on to the Mint Website and had 1 CC Privy in the bag but the it started crashing so I decided to spend a $100.00 for the real thing:

0046734013706830_obv.jpg

I like it Alex. I see the slab is PCGS .  I am curious? I see these old slabs around a lot with no name on them and wanted to know. I'm sure some of you have seen these around and if it is a grading company or just something from Joe's Garage 

Coin Case.jpg

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

I see these old slabs around a lot with no name on them and wanted to know.

What the folks here refer to as 'Basement Slabs".  Someone bought some holders and made those up.  If you can find no brand name on them they are NOT TPGs.  Be careful when buying - you cannot trust the grade on them.  Good luck.

Edited by Alex in PA.

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

- you cannot trust the grade on them.  Good luck.

I'm a fair grader, but it's a lot harder than one thinks to get it right. Trust me, running a bulldozer is a whole lot easier than a grader. Pardon me, I thought I was on the John Deere web sight. 

8 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

What the folks here refer to as 'Basement Slabs".  Someone bought some holders and made those up.  If you can find no brand name on them they are NOT TPGs.  Be careful when buying - you cannot trust the grade on them.  Good luck.

No I wont buy anything in those slabs, Way to chancy:ph34r:  I could not get a new Morgan so I have my eye on one of these, Proof 70 DCAM for $80 I think it is a good deal.

Edited by J P Mashoke

6 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

I think it is a good deal.

I know nothing about the ASE but you can't get better than Proof 70 DCam.  That coin is a beauty!  You've got a ^^

2 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I know nothing about the ASE but you can't get better than Proof 70 DCam.  That coin is a beauty!  You've got a ^^

I am suppose to get one this Saturday I hope. I will post it if it happens. 

Just hanging out tonight and I thought I would do some grade test guessing so on the 1964 D I give it a 58 and on the Philly  I give it a 68 seeing there are no Quarters at NGC or PCGS listed any higher LoL. Anyone want to give me there assessment please and let me know if I am close or still need more practice lol 

S20210628_0001.jpg

S20210628_0002.jpg

S20210628_0003.jpg

S20210628_0004.jpg

25 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Just hanging out tonight and I thought I would do some grade test guessing so on the 1964 D I give it a 58 and on the Philly  I give it a 68 seeing there are no Quarters at NGC or PCGS listed any higher LoL. Anyone want to give me there assessment please and let me know if I am close or still need more practice lol 

S20210628_0001.jpg

S20210628_0002.jpg

S20210628_0003.jpg

S20210628_0004.jpg

JP,

You will get much more feedback posting questions in a separate post for each coin. Not as many of the people you want to give you advice will dig through these. 

Here is my thoughts, but they are just that my thoughts. First it’s hard to see all the surfaces with the glare. It may be hiding a lot or nothing I do t know. 

64 D - I don’t know that you will get a 58 with the marks on the cheek. It’s the prime focal point and distracting. Maybe a 55 on a good day or a 53 if the glare is hiding anything. 

64 P - It does appear to be a nice coin,  but at higher grades the nuances are subtle  I would want to see it without the glare. Literally that reflection can hide a ton of stuff. Not to say you are trying to hide it just saying it’s hard to say a coin is/is not 68 and nearing perfection without seeing it as clear as day. 

Thanks woods, I thought I was pushing it a bit on the 64 D with the face nicks.:whistle: Now holding the the 64 P on a angle to cut down the glare has some barely only able to see with the USB scope marks, The reverse is fine but it looks like the obverse may have got a ding or two from being in a envelope with other 2X2 holders with those nice rounded staples. So I guess that would drop it down to a 65 or 64 

S20210629_0005.jpg

S20210629_0001.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke