• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Album for Certified Coins
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have, alas, acquired a number of certified coins.  

"Alas," because I would rather that they just sit in the album, easily accessible.  But I am not comfortable spending a bunch of money on an expensive coin without an objective reason to believe that it's genuine, and in the advertised condition.  So I have bought a number of slabbed coins, which mostly just sit in the safe, and it's not very convenient to lug the bag out, spread them out, and give them some love.  And these are, after all, pretty much the best coins in my collection, which I like to look at!

I see that there are binders for holding the common slabs (NGC, PCGS, ANACS), but I have an additional "problem" (yes, I know it's a first world problem):  I have several certified Morgan dollars from the GSA hoard, in the original GSA plastic holder.  This is a larger holder than the standard slab, and I doubt it would fit in one of the slots made for the standard slab.

What have people done to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Mark

Edited by 124Spider

If your coins have already been certified, and you have no quarrel with the grade they were assigned, I would leave them exactly the way you found them: in their original U.S. sarcophagi.

If you dispute the grade, I would submit them to the TPGS comprising the majority of your collection for cross-grade comsideration.

op's ques was concerning display of oversized slabbed coins in album pages not bout grading or cross-grading....a prob encountered by others...sometimes littleton coin company n wizard coin supply has access to various size album pages but most these items r currently on back order or out of stock...some of the more sophisticated office supply stores can order custom made pages, i had a few custom pages made for slabbed oversized medallions not cheap but served my needs....

have you measured it up against an old style proof set?  or the likes?   what i am thinking and i havent done it but i have a couple of them are Eagle coin holder albums for proof sets.  I have various Eagle albulms for slabbed coins as well as some of there old 2 x 2 holder albums.  It may be worth a try.

The only thing that I found specifically for GSA holders is a Guardhouse brand wooden box made to hold 10 slabs. Wizard is currently out of stock. I also checked the Guardhouse website, but I could not find the box there. This may mean it is no longer sold by them, but you could contact them to be sure.

Link to Wizard here.

Guardhouse homepage here

At least LOOK AT www.eaglecoinandcard.com . Their plastic 2x2 holders were my favorite product of theirs, alas they seem to be discontinued. Their slab pages are not MY particular cup of tea, but may be yours. 

On 5/20/2021 at 9:21 PM, Just Bob said:

The only thing that I found specifically for GSA holders is a Guardhouse brand wooden box made to hold 10 slabs. Wizard is currently out of stock. I also checked the Guardhouse website, but I could not find the box there. This may mean it is no longer sold by them, but you could contact them to be sure.

Link to Wizard here.

Guardhouse homepage here

I found one and have ordered it; thanks!

Edit--Except they don't actually have it; back to the drawing board!

Edited by 124Spider
Things changed