• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 Mercury Dime Reverse Question

12 posts in this topic

I have this mercury coin I received as change from a purchase I made years ago. Attached is a picture of the back. I see what I believe is doubling but also acknowledge that I am not overly knowledgeable in coins. I am seeking advice as to what I am seeing. i also see some of the same thing on the front but didn't include in this post because the image is so large. I thank you in advance.

20210512_154949.thumb.jpg.8bed9c16ea5084b62cd9720104c03d85.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I see what looks like strike doubling on the first A in AMERICA and the D and M of DIME. Unfortunately, that doesn't qualify as an attributable variety and adds no value. It's quite common on Mercury Dimes.

I think the OP is referring to the right side of the olive branch near the fascias, and lower portion of the axe blade. That was the first thing the jumped out to me.

Edited by RWB

I am referring to the branch and the letters. I apologize for not being exact. Since the letters could be strike doubling would that be the same case in the branch or am I seeing possibly shadow, reflection or perhaps tarnish creating an illusion? I don't see it on other coins. Thanks again.

Edited by MalibuSharpie

1 hour ago, MalibuSharpie said:

I am referring to the branch and the letters. I apologize for not being exact. Since the letters could be strike doubling would that be the same case in the branch or am I seeing possibly shadow, reflection or perhaps tarnish creating an illusion? I don't see it on other coins. Thanks again.

Everything that I see on the coin including the letters and branch appear to be simple strike doubling in the photo.

the COINBUF is correct..nothing appears to be of the doubled die variety.      :(  just simple strike doubling to me.

Alright. I did find an article on striking written by a JT Stanton that I found of interest. Are there articles here, with pictures, that helps to learn all the ins and outs? I thank you guys for your time.

Edited by MalibuSharpie

Stanton is a very respected numismatist and author. Kudos to you for finding reputable information. Don’t go to YouTube for education. It will lead you astray. 

For now here is a nice article by our hosts that talks about strike doubling vs doubled die. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/