• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Novel Way to Slab Your Coin?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I like these for the fact they present some facts and reasonings on why a individual has been honored on a coin. I did something for my Cincinnati Mechanics token but not a official TPG thing.
   I think these could help involve people into collecting as it provides some history and may be enough for them to look into the coin and history of the person.

Tis cool !

47 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

I like these for the fact they present some facts and reasonings on why a individual has been honored on a coin.

Exactly.  I was not aware of this and I do not know how to have a coin done.  I guess I do now.

NGC offers a certification option for United States Mint Official Commemorative Coin Covers. NGC grades the enclosed coins and seal the entire US Mint cover within a clear semi-rigid plastic sleeve. This allows the US Mint packaging to be preserved while receiving the advantages of an NGC certified grade. A label across the top of the holder describes the cover and enclosed coins. If the coins are of matched grade, a single grade line appears on the label. If they receive different grades, two lines of text are used to describe each coin individually (see photos).

Coin covers are presentation holders offered by the U.S. Mint, consisting of a mailing envelope with enclosed coin(s), and a cancelled postage stamp. The date of the stamp’s cancellation is the coin’s first day of issue, the day the coin was released into circulation. For this reason, collectors often refer to coin covers as "First Day Covers," abbreviated "FDC." Many U.S. Mint covers are eligible for certification under this new service, including, for example:

• 50 State Quarters Official Commemorative Coin Cover
  • Westward Journey Nickel Series Official Commemorative Coin Cover
  • Sacagawea Dollar United States Mint Official Commemorative Coin Cover
  • United States Mint Official American Presidency $1 Coin Cover
Edited by Alex in PA.

Just now, Oldhoopster said:

Too Much Information, IMO

Right!  Sorry but I knew nothing about this   Next time I will try to keep shorter.  :roflmao:

Same as old FDFI covers sold by "Hut River" and others long ago.

4 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

While ATS I ran across a thread that was very interesting.  I have never seen a coin done up in this manner:

Thread Title at CU

I just got this back. I'm very proud of it. No explanation needed.

MWallace 228 views 10 comments 6 new Most recent

ndlyuepmuyir.jpg

2jwm7k6bk6d8 (1).jpg

That's very cool. First time I've seen one. 

Slabbing a coin cover? IDK. I guess why not.

Coin covers are not all that unusual from some mints, Pobjoy comes to mind as being prolific with these on IoM coinage. Blisters are very popular with some modern series now and I noticed that MCM is packaging pre 1900 coins in historical type packaging, similar to what others have done in the past. Some of it is pretty neat.

1 minute ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

pre 1900 coins in historical type packaging, similar to what others have done in the past. Some of it is pretty neat.

That would be neat to see.  I collect pre-1900 and would like to see it.  thanks.

1 minute ago, Alex in PA. said:

That would be neat to see.  I collect pre-1900 and would like to see it.  thanks.

They are circulated coins but that is part of the fun when you get sets like that. You get some nifty packaging with a historical tie-in/factoids and a coin that was actually used at the time. Here's a link to one of the sets.

2-Piece Set - 1852-1863 1C-Half Dime Battle of Chancellorsville Stonewall Jacksons Last Victory Good-Fine - ModernCoinMart 

I was going to say, Much ado about nothing, but this is the first time I have ever seen Alex in PA get so excited about anything.

First Day of Issue by the USPS (or as our RWB put it: or by whatever name known) for stamps, have been around since forever. You'd walk into the P.O., buy a few stamps, stick one on an envelope, and have the postal clerk cancel it. Voila! Incontestible proof of First Day of Issue.

Surely, sometime after Dien bien phu the OP or these coin show aficionados I keep reading about have come across a U.S. Mail stamp or Pocahontas coin FDOI a number of times in the years since.  NGC saw an opportunity and apparently seized it before 9/11.

Note:  For collector/members who understandably wouldn't be caught dead in NYC unless passing through, these Sacagaweas which never enjoyed widespread acceptance -- most vending machines will not accept them -- are used primarily by the city's Transit Authority to dispense change evidently an special arrangement with the U.S. Mint which has been stockpiling them for years.

I believe NGC's proposal to receive, grade, package and distribute these coin cards a generation ago was an effort to push a product that lacked a market.  Primitive encapsulation for young numismatists.  Anybody know what their Issue price was?

Postscript:  come to think of it, one of my first Roosters was so encapsulated by the American Historical Society with a brief generic history of the series. I never heard of the AHS so I Googled it and found a gaggle of reviews describing the entire operation as nothing but one clever marketing scam that made the one that beset North West Territories mint look minor in comparison.  Fortunately, the Rooster was authenticated and the silver bar I ordered from NWT arrived, albeit late. 

(I better go now before Alex sics his growling dog on me.)