• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I believe that I have a 1964 accent hair proof on would like to confirm And know if it would be beneficial to have grated if So?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Meh, it's a little hard to tell from your pics. Looks like a PF and probably not a high enough graded to justify grading. If it was a PFCA, PFUC (it's not) or if it's one of the DDOs or QDR (can't tell) then maybe. 

If I understand your question correctly I think your asking if you have an Accented Hair (not extra hair) Kennedy half.   If that is the case then yes I think you do have an AH Kennedy, difficult to say for sure but from the photos the coin looks hazy and I would think rather doubtful it would go CAM and almost no chance of a DCAM.  The decision to have it authenticated/graded and slabbed depends on what you intend to do with the coin.  If you plan to hold onto it for a long time there is no real need to have it slabbed, however if you want to sell it then getting it slabbed with the variety noted on the slab may be beneficial.  It would need to grade at least PR66 or better to be able to break even on the costs to slab and sell, imo (from these photos) your coin will not grade that high.  Here is a comparison photo of a regular and AH Kennedy for your reference.

AH Kennedy.jpg

Your half appears to have the missing lower left serif on the "I" in "LIBERTY," which is a distinguishing feature of the Accented Hair variety.

Good find.

22 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Your half appears to have the missing lower left serif on the "I" in "LIBERTY," which is a distinguishing feature of the Accented Hair variety.

Good find.

Nice ...Good Eye Bob ;) Or should I say Good I Bob

Edited by J P Mashoke

Yessiree, we have an accented hair proof Kennedy Half Dollar. I have about 20 sets that I've picked up over the years that I've yet to check for the variety. When I get settled from my fourth move in three years, maybe.