• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who all attends coin shows ?

34 posts in this topic

How many coin show do you attend ? I used to attend about 10-12 shows a year ... Lately for last 7-8 years I been down to 1-2 shows a year , I do most of coin buying online now a day through private dealers 

3 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

How many coin show do you attend ? I used to attend about 10-12 shows a year ... Lately for last 7-8 years I been down to 1-2 shows a year , I do most of coin buying online now a day through private dealers 

I go to our club's (Portland, OR), sometimes to a quarterly local one put on by a local hobbyist, and sometimes to our sister club's shows down south about an hour and a half.

10 minutes ago, JKK said:

I go to our club's (Portland, OR), sometimes to a quarterly local one put on by a local hobbyist, and sometimes to our sister club's shows down south about an hour and a half.

Do you notice a trend of less people attending coin shows ? I do compared to some of the coin shows in 80’s and 90’s ... I believe there are 2 factors one is Internet collectors like me are converting over to internet buying everyday is like going to a coin show on internet I only deal with dealers who have a return privileges if I don’t like the coin I can send it back . The 2nd factor I believe is result of lower interest in coin collecting is price range on a lot of “average mint state coins” such as Morgan dollars every dealer table has Morgan dollars look at 500 of them at show will make your eyes bleed they are so common a lot younger people don’t have finances available to spend a couple hundred of dollars on a single coin . Makes me wonder about the future of our coin collecting hobby 

I've been going to about 5-6 coins shows a year.  The monthly Garden State Coin & Stamp Show in Parsippany, NJ is a pretty good show (about 40-50 tables).  Plenty of coins from $500 - $5,000.

There's a Mt. Kisco Show that was getting popular right before Covid hit in early-2020.  It might eventually supplant the Westchester Coin & Stamp Show that is quarterly.  Better, different dealers and a nicer location.

I hope to attend the Baltimore Whitman Show for the first time in November.  My 1st big coin show away from the NYC area was FUN 2020 -- had a blast, and if you are a serious collector you have to experience it at least once.  Great time....auctions....600 dealers.....met online friends.....there's also courses and tons of lectures.

I don't go to enough of them to notice any trends, but it wouldn't surprise me. Ours has been well attended since I've been going, though we did not have it last year for obvious reasons. The Polk County one I've been to a couple times and it's just not that big a show. You have to really like coin collecting to go all the way to Rickreall, Oregon for a show, but there are always people there when I go.

As for me, I am a lot less interested in buying online. I want to be dealing with people I know, for the most part. There are a couple of our local dealers I don't much like, but others I do. I do think that the hobby needs to work harder to attract YNs. Unfortunately, some cultural factors create a natural barrier in this venue, at least for some of us. They do for me.

The only dealers I deal with online are ones that I’ve met at coin shows they gave me a business card with a website , I’ve also met my fair share of dealers that I didn’t see eye to eye with Also a few very stubborn dealers who can’t haggle prices or offers I shy away from them , I noticed a lot newer collectors want high gain profit from their coins everything is $$$$$ Then I see typical high end coin dealer who has a lot nice high end coins they are nice to see but not everyday a collector is walking in coin show with $10K-$20K to drop on a specific coin high end coins are hard to find a buyer the smart dealers I see at coin shows sell a good bit keep business flowing they sell average coins that the average Joe can afford (probably 98% of coin collecting hobby is driven by the average Joe’s spending their hard own working money at same time paying the bills at home as well) collecting should be for live of it not for financial gains that’s what bullion for Thats just my opinion 

Even the in-person dealers tend to overgrade in my experience. In my experience buying sports cards online they overgrade so badly it's an embarrassment. So my first priority with a dealer is to look over some of their stuff to see how greatly they overgrade. I can deal with a few judgment calls but if they are consistently wishful thinkers, I keep moving. Then again, I completely blow past all the US coin displays; I'm looking for world and ancient, especially the latter. Some Byzantine. I like to get to know a dealer, so I tend to avoid the autistic ones (that weeds out maybe half).

I myself started collecting world coins as well , I get tired of looking at the US coinage sometimes . I noticed 2-3 sellers are strictly world coins dealers at few of the shows I go too years ago world coins didn’t have the love on US market but today I do notice the trend some collectors dabbling their feet in world coins it’s growing in popularity every year for world coin market you really can’t get bored with world coinage there just way to many designs out there and so much history it’s just mind boggling just take a look at some 400+ years old world coins make your jaws drop to see the fine details and designs they put in the dies when striking coins then look at US coins say to yourself is that best US could do at that time making coins ? some US coins are eyesore 

Edited by Jason Abshier

Coin shows of any size are something I rarely attend. Even then it is to meet collectors, speak (Woof! Woof!), or sign books. I don't buy coins to "collect" but for research, and there is never anything for research in the rows of flat cases and concrete floors. I've examined some very special and unusual/unexpected coins during shows, but only because the owner or agent had contacted me previously. On the flip side, if a collector or dealer/museum person wants in-person help, I've driven to Baltimore or possibly Pittsburgh sole for that purpose, then turned around and driven home.

It seems to boil down to my purposes and coin show purposes not aligning very well. Long ago I used to take coin photos at shows and used the time between customers to graze the bourse for SL quarters, WL halves and highest quality examples of type coins, but that got "old" quickly as the supply of unexamined coins diminished and dealers had piles of re-displayed retreads at show after show.

A few years ago I tried to interest show promoters/sponsors in revitalizing the whole event with organization changes, technology, communication, activity integration and so forth -- I shudda' brought along hearing aids for them. :)

Wow 10-12 shows a year is quite a few, are most of those local smaller shows or were those all the big major shows like FUN, or LB.   Myself I will stop by the local monthly show maybe 6 times a year and when the big shows were happening I would go to the Long Beach show once every year or year and a half.   I've never been to any large show other than LB as the costs for travel, food, and lodging for an east coast show would wipe out all the coin funds so no point in going.

In the last 2 years (before Covid, actually, though I'm sure it would have happened after too)....I added Heritage and Great Collections to my Ebay list for coins. 

Have actually done a few thousand dollars worth of business at Heritage and maybe a few hundred or more at GC.

You pay up.....nothing cheap (so far)....but it's done at your home....no travelling.....decent return policies....all with clicks of a mouse.

Hopefully, all the new online bidders translates into more people at Coin Shows and also in the hobby long-term.

2 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Wow 10-12 shows a year is quite a few, are most of those local smaller shows or were those all the big major shows like FUN, or LB.   Myself I will stop by the local monthly show maybe 6 times a year and when the big shows were happening I would go to the Long Beach show once every year or year and a half.   I've never been to any large show other than LB as the costs for travel, food, and lodging for an east coast show would wipe out all the coin funds so no point in going.

They were smaller shows and state yearly shows , I did go to a few near by state shows as well . At one time I was collecting pretty heavy now I’m more leaned back do most of my collecting online with dealers that I know and I can work with . Last show I went to had a bit of attendance the 1st day then 2nd day it quickly died off there was this one annoying kid running up and down Floors asking people if they wanted buy a bag of junk silver , he asked me on 4 different occasions at the show before I finally told him this is a coin show for collectors . Not a junk gold and silver investment show , way in back part of floor there was a guy back there with bags of junk silver not a single collectible coin on his table they should not allow them there it doesn’t promote finer points of collecting that’s just me how I see it ... 

I been going to coin shows since early 80’s with my grandfather and my father he was a big collector most of old dealers I knew are all long dead

1 hour ago, Jason Abshier said:

you really can’t get bored with world coinage there just way to many designs out there and so much history it’s just mind boggling just take a look at some 400+ years old world coins make your jaws drop to see the fine details and designs they put in the dies when striking coins then look at US coins say to yourself is that best US could do at that time making coins ? some US coins are eyesore 

Not Saints or Morgans !!  (thumbsu

21 minutes ago, RWB said:

.....or sign books.....I've driven to Baltimore or possibly Pittsburgh sole for that purpose

Any chance you'll show up in Baltimore in November at the Whitman Show ? 

Gotta be some pent-up demand for your book.....I wish the show would feature you in a talk where you could inform us about the Saints book or FMTM or your research in general.

5 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

way in back part of floor there was a guy back there with bags of junk silver not a single collectible coin on his table they should not allow them there it doesn’t promote finer points of collecting that’s just me how I see it....

As long as such a dealer is in an area surrounded by similar tables -- FUN 2020 had about 20 of them all in the back -- I don't have a problem with it.  PMs are closely related to coins so I see the tie-in.  Heck, there are usually some stamp collectors tagging around or folks selling antiques (small ones).

12 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

As long as such a dealer is in an area surrounded by similar tables -- FUN 2020 had about 20 of them all in the back -- I don't have a problem with it.  PMs are closely related to coins so I see the tie-in.  Heck, there are usually some stamp collectors tagging around or folks selling antiques (small ones).

The thing I don’t like about these Gold and silver buyers they promote too much ads everywhere in news paper highest prices paid for coins and junk silver and gold all it does it promote a bunch of robberies to happen I often see them at hotels or small flea markets who heck walks in a flea market with $300-$500 worth of junk gold some of this stuff I see people selling looks like fine piece of Jewelry doesn’t look like junk oh well to each their own I bet some of that stuff was stolen I notice a lot more gold buyers popping up everywhere these days they all claim they pay the highest prices it must be a competitive market I don’t know , my coins ain’t junk if I sell them it would go to dealer or another collector not a junk and silver shop 

You guys are all Pro at this stuff... I am just getting going LoL. I have not had a chance to see any shows yet and to buy on line is kinda scary for a new guy like me.  But boy do I love the coin shop dealers that don't mind to haggle a deal and have all kinds of stuff to look at old and new.  The wife liked the deal we got at the  Coins Purse in Nashville the guy sold us the 2021 Silver Eagle for regular price and then I wanted the first year 1986 and gave me that for the same price and it is worth $15 more now. The Dealer in S.C who threw in a $30 Peace dollar because I spent over $100. That is the way I have always like to deal One on One . Tomorrow we have a appointment to get more Eagles. With any luck I can get a deal of some kind at this coin shop south of Boston The wife liked the Silver Eagles so much she told me to get one of every year a Grandchild was born. I said are you sure?? 14 OK ..LoL

Edited by J P Mashoke

27 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

The thing I don’t like about these Gold and silver buyers they promote too much ads everywhere in news paper highest prices paid for coins and junk silver and gold all it does it promote a bunch of robberies to happen 

I think the back of FUN 2020 was called the Bargain Bin, for cheaper stuff.  Not sure PM dealers were there -- I mean, you had dozens of dealers in coins and stuff also selling bullion throughout the 8 aisles of dealers ! xD

Maybe folks buying/selling sterling silver and gold-plated stuff were back there, I really didn't look that closely.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

10 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

You guys are all Pro at this stuff... I am just getting going LoL. I have not had a chance to see any shows yet and to buy on line is kinda scary for a new guy like me. 

JP, don't let it scare you.  Ebay has plenty of legit dealers though I would be wary of buying anything not certified/graded if it is a numismatic coin.  Check out the ratings for anybody you buy gold or silver bullion from -- plenty of legit sellers there.  Look for no bad feedback....decent return policy....cheap or free shipping.

You can't go wrong with Heritage and Great Collections for coins or currency.  GC is really making inroads, as their commission structure is lower and no tax in most states, lower S&H, etc.

You live in Mass.....there's a nice regional show, the Bay State Coin Show, which is a nice up-and-comer.....I want to eventually go.  Check out a local show with 20-50 tables at first...then move on to a bigger regional or one of the 3 big national shows.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

17 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

JP, don't let it scare you.  Ebay has plenty of legit dealers though I would be wary of buying anything not certified/graded if it is a numismatic coin.  Check out the ratings for anybody you buy gold or silver bullion from -- plenty of legit sellers there.  Look for no bad feedback....decent return policy....cheap or free shipping.

You can't go wrong with Heritage and Great Collections for coins or currency.  GC is really making inroads, as their commission structure is lower and no tax in most states, lower S&H, etc.

You live in Mass.....there's a nice regional show, the Bay State Coin Show, which is a nice up-and-comer.....I want to eventually go.  Check out a local show with 20-50 tables at first...then move on to a bigger regional or one of the 3 big national shows.

Thanks for all the good info GoldFinger that sounds like fun , Now that Covid is slowing down they may have a show or two around here. Mass has been a tough state for doing anything with Covid

42 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

You guys are all Pro at this stuff... I am just getting going LoL. I have not had a chance to see any shows yet and to buy on line is kinda scary for a new guy like me.  But boy do I love the coin shop dealers that don't mind to haggle a deal and have all kinds of stuff to look at old and new.  The wife liked the deal we got at the  Coins Purse in Nashville the guy sold us the 2021 Silver Eagle for regular price and then I wanted the first year 1986 and gave me that for the same price and it is worth $15 more now. The Dealer in S.C who threw in a $30 Peace dollar because I spent over $100. That is the way I have always like to deal One on One . Tomorrow we have a appointment to get more Eagles. With any luck I can get a deal of some kind at this coin shop south of Boston The wife liked the Silver Eagles so much she told me to get one of every year a Grandchild was born. I said are you sure?? 14 OK ..LoL

I don’t consider myself a pro at collecting , I keep a mind set buy the nicest coin that I feel is nice for me I’m not worried about flipping a coin to make an “investment” if I see a MS65 Morgan that looks great with a clean cheek VS an MS66 flashy with few small bag marks I’ll buy the MS65 Morgan ... I think a lot newer people getting into the hobby are looking for money it’s not all about money tell you truth some of coins I’ve sold to other collectors I barely broke even I didn’t gain any “extra profit”.. it took me short while to trust buying coins online as well , I always use a credit card or prepaid debit card to buy stuff online for safety reason (if something happens) it’s easier to turn off credit card just like that right from your computer or phone , unlike a banking debit card you can’t do that right away 

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Any chance you'll show up in Baltimore in November at the Whitman Show ? 

Gotta be some pent-up demand for your book.....I wish the show would feature you in a talk where you could inform us about the Saints book or FMTM or your research in general.

At present, it's unlikely. Speakers, book signings, etc. don't attract unique visitors, so it's only an expense for the promoters.

11 minutes ago, RWB said:

At present, it's unlikely. Speakers, book signings, etc. don't attract unique visitors, so it's only an expense for the promoters.

Have they ever heard of GROWING the hobby ?  Jeez.....

Some of the talks at FUN 2020 were as boring and sparsely-attended as hell.  With so many Saint and Peace dollar dealers there, how could they not appreciate a talk by someone like you ?  Heck, the Saint dealers along aside from Heritage could probably benefit from having a copy of your book, which I doubt many/any have (I sure didn't see it, though I saw others).

Have you EVER gone to a show at your expense hoping to autograph and sell some of your books ?  That could pay the way......my astronomy club had a guy from NYC -- who would NEVER come to the big show we put on -- come out one year.   Literally calls us at the last minute...we tell him we can't even get him into the lecture hall, it's booked.....let's save you for next year when we can make you the featured speaker, we told him.....nah, he said, just use the sports seating for the basketball court and rig something up, that's good enough.

Turns out he brought about 200 books with him and signed them and sold 'em....probably made a few thousand dollars plus whatever we paid him on the cheap.  xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Larger shows designate a book/supply seller. That prevents anyone else from doing the same. Makes sense due to the required space and feeble margins.

I examined the self-seller approach early on, but the cost of space, travel, etc., was far greater than any reasonably anticipated sales. Also, I wouldn't be able to use the bathroom for 3 days.....! When speaking at a state show, I've sometimes taken some books, but the sales are very small - 10 or 12 copies. Coin collectors are rarely oriented toward that -- they want to handle coins and medals.

I agree that it would be nice if sellers of DE had a copy of my book on their tables for collector reference. Not going to happen. The space is too costly.

4 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

Forgive me for asking I don’t frequent these forums much I’ve been on here for awhile just don’t use the forums often ... what book are we talking about ? Sometime when I take break from collecting I’m always reading books on coins 

Roger Burdette's SAINT-GAUDENS DOUBLE EAGLES....the ax on Saints.  Available only from Heritage Auctions.

Garden State Coin & Stamp Show:  Looks like this show is starting up again tomorrow, May 2nd, at the PAL Building in Parsippany, NJ.  I'm going to try and make it.

60-70 tables and right off I-287.  If you plan on attending, post here or PM me.

Garden State Coin & Stamp Show..... I got to the show about 11 AM, it's at the Parsippany Police Athletic League bldg. about 7 minutes off I-287 for those of you who live in the NY/NJ area. The room is maybe 100' x 60' and usually has about 60-70 tables.

When I walked over after parking, I couldn't believe it: there was a line of about 50 people. I'll bet most of us were vaccinated but they would only let 1 person in for 1 person departing. I got in after waiting about 1 hour. When I got in, there was still about 30-40 people waiting online.

I'd say it was 2/3rds packed table-wise, but clearly sections empty. Didn't get a chance to ask if it was people who passed on, retired, didn't feel comfortable mingling with the public yet, or what. Cost of attending a 1-day show is minimal compared to FUN or ANA so I'll assume costs weren't a factor. But definitely the lowest dealer attendance I've seen going back years.

Anyway, didn't see much high-end stuff....lots of the same-old, same-old....didn't see a single MS65 Saint, but saw some low-60's coins. A 1904 Liberty DE MS62 and a 1924 Saint MS63 were each listed for $2,275 from one dealer -- that seems a bit high for what I think is mostly bullion generic coins, feel free to correct me as I haven't checked that market lately.

Some bullion as usual (gold & silver).....lots of Franklin, Walker, Morgan, and other stuff........lots of those white 2X2 holders with raw coins.....didn't see alot of the commemoratives I like to buy (none, in fact)....the hall only had maybe 25-30 people at a time, they could have let more people in but maybe the room had a set occupancy or maybe the entire building was under a limit and nobody was leaving the other areas like the gym which limited what we could have in our room.

I left after about 1/2 hour (usually stay 3/4 to 1 hour). When I left, the line to get in was maybe 6-8 people. :D

Anyway, that's the way it was as Walter Cronkite used to say. :DxD

On 4/30/2021 at 1:57 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I often see them at hotels or small flea markets who heck walks in a flea market with $300-$500 worth of junk gold

You weren't around in 79/80 were you?

On 4/30/2021 at 3:20 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Have they ever heard of GROWING the hobby ?  Jeez

The problem is that most collectors have no real interest in learning anything more than grades and prices.  Maybe something more about the particular series they collect but even that isn't really common. I truly believe that most collectors believe that everything they need to know can be found in the Redbook.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

You weren't around in 79/80 were you?

almost 2 times a month!! we went and had a great time