• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Priority Signature Mail
2 2

126 posts in this topic

I made the mistake ONCE on sending to NGC 'Signature Required'.  Since the have a P.O. Box SOMEONE must show up to sign for the package.  That was the LAST time, and only time, I sent to NGC or PCGS 'Signature Required'.  When I did I got the SAME INFO you got.  No 'Signature Required' and they will drop it in the P.O.Box, and notify you,  instead of holding it until someone signs.  

Now I have ALWAYS sent coins USPS Priority Mail Express (Overnight or 2 Day) and have NEVER suffered a loss.  And I have been mailing coins since ANACS was in Washington, DC.  

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling

Ask you local Postmaster (where you mailed the package) for his/her help. Two weeks for insured mail is not excessive given present postal service mismanagement.  A lot of mail is arriving at regional and local offices in large batches, rather than a smooth manageable flow.

Edited by RWB

21 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I made the mistake ONCE on sending to NGC 'Signature Required'.  Since the have a P.O. Box SOMEONE must show up to sign for the package.  That was the LAST time, and only time, I sent to NGC or PCGS 'Signature Required'.  When I did I got the SAME INFO you got.  No 'Signature Required' and they will drop it in the P.O.Box, and notify you,  instead of holding it until someone signs.  

Now I have ALWAYS sent coins USPS Priority Mail Express (Overnight or 2 Day) and have NEVER suffered a loss.  And I have been mailing coins since ANACS was in Washington, DC.  

I didn’t even realize priority came with signature required. I read that that and cringed. God only knows if I see my poor coins again.

21 minutes ago, RWB said:

Ask you local Postmaster (where you mailed the package) for his/her help. Two weeks for insured mail is not excessive given present postal service mismanagement.  A lot of mail is arriving at regional and local offices in large batches, rather than a smooth manageable flow.

I pray you’re right sir. 6 of my very best coins. It’s seriously affecting my sleep. I don’t give two s**ts about the money as much as I do about my coins. And I’m sure the USPS will fight me tooth and nail it is lost. Sucks. I’m a history teacher. I can’t afford to throw away 4 grand like this.

3 minutes ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

I didn’t even realize priority came with signature required. I read that that and cringed. God only knows if I see my poor coins again.

I pray you’re right sir. 6 of my very best coins. It’s seriously affecting my sleep. I don’t give two s**ts about the money as much as I do about my coins. And I’m sure the USPS will fight me tooth and nail it is lost. Sucks. I’m a history teacher. I can’t afford to throw away 4 grand like this.

I'm sure sorry about your luck my friend. I feel really bad for you. I'm praying you figure out what's up with them. Hopefully they are not  lost. I feel your pain. That would be a bad feeling. Maybe they will update in a day or two. 

1 hour ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

I didn’t even realize priority came with signature required. I read that that and cringed. God only knows if I see my poor coins again. I pray you’re right sir. 6 of my very best coins. It’s seriously affecting my sleep. I don’t give two s**ts about the money as much as I do about my coins. And I’m sure the USPS will fight me tooth and nail it is lost. Sucks. I’m a history teacher. I can’t afford to throw away 4 grand like this.

Did you contact NGC ?

Can you put up a screenshot of the Tracking History so we might see what you are seeing ?

If his coins are sitting somewhere NOT at NGC, that is not right.  He's got anxiety because he's not sure if the coins are in some mail room at NGC or at some USPS delivery center right before the final leg to NGC.  I'm not sure whose fault it is -- USPS or NGC's mail room -- but our friend is worried sick over his coins.

NGC should take delivery ASAP even if the packages sit in a secured room or safe somewhere at their offices.  If I submitted, I wouldn't want my coins "in limbo" between the USPS or FedX and NGC.  At least show it got to NGC....have NGC tell me they got the coins....and then say we're 3 weeks behind so it'll be a while.  I can live with that.

At least then you don't lose sleep.  This is unfair to the senders.

2 hours ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

Right now I’m out $4000.00 dollars plus $60 in insurance. Shipping costs are kind of the least of my worries, but I appreciate the advice.

I can understand your concern.

That said, during the past several months, delays of the type you’re experiencing have not been particularly rare. And at this point, there’s nothing to indicate that you’re out $4000 plus insurance.

14 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I can understand your concern. That said, during the past several months, delays of the type you’re experiencing have not been particularly rare. And at this point, there’s nothing to indicate that you’re out $4000 plus insurance.

I hope you are right, Mark.....you PROBABLY are.....I think his concern (and what mine would be) is not knowing who has the coins:  NGC's mail room or the USPS.

38 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

If his coins are sitting somewhere NOT at NGC, that is not right.  He's got anxiety because he's not sure if the coins are in some mail room at NGC or at some USPS delivery center right before the final leg to NGC.  I'm not sure whose fault it is -- USPS or NGC's mail room -- but our friend is worried sick over his coins.

NGC should take delivery ASAP even if the packages sit in a secured room or safe somewhere at their offices.  If I submitted, I wouldn't want my coins "in limbo" between the USPS or FedX and NGC.  At least show it got to NGC....have NGC tell me they got the coins....and then say we're 3 weeks behind so it'll be a while.  I can live with that.

At least then you don't lose sleep.  This is unfair to the senders.

I think they are still stuck at a post office somewhere he was saying a couple days ago. They hadn't made it to Florida  yet. Tracking won't update. I had that happen a few times on coins I bought.  One got stuck for almost 2 weeks before it departed and moved on to the next town. 

NGC really needs to get a way to track if a package has been received, but not entered into their system. Something like this.

And if it has been entered into their system, they really should have something that shows it's status. Something like this.

And at the very least, if a package has been in limbo in the mail for a long time, you'd think the USPS could at least have some sort of way to inquire about the location of the package. Something like this.

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

I think they are still stuck at a post office somewhere he was saying a couple days ago. They hadn't made it to Florida  yet. Tracking won't update. I had that happen a few times on coins I bought.  One got stuck for almost 2 weeks before it departed and moved on to the next town. 

OK, I thought they were nearby at a local PO but signature or other delivery problems were preventing it getting there.

If the coins are stuck a ways back, they are probably safe.  I know I had a package leave NYC for my house (NY Suburbs)....and the tracking history said it was IN ILLINOIS a few days later !!! xD  I mean, was it going around the world or what ?  xD

I don't know what is up with the Post Office (FedX and UPS seem quicker)....packages that used to take days now take weeks.  Did they lose 20% of their personnel because of Covid or what ?   I don't think FedX and UPS have been as affected.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 4/27/2021 at 9:45 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Honestly, that happens quite a bit lately, although I thought it had cleared up a bit, particularly with priority stuff.  I would call the last known post office where it was scanned and ask them what's up.  

Went there myself yesterday. Last scan was its departure on April 14rh from El Paso where I live. 18th I received this.  

image.png

Reynolds, relax....I think you are OK.  That's what I got when my package was headed to Illinois when all it needed was to go 25 miles from NYC to the NY Suburbs.

Your package will make it to NGC, probably by way of Illinois. xD 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

2 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Reynolds, relax....I think you are OK.  That's what I got when my package was headed to Illinois when all it needed was to go 25 miles from NYC to the NY Suburbs.

Your package will make it to NGC, probably by way of Illinois. xD 

I hope. Never submitted before so forgive me for my jitters. 

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Did you contact NGC ?

Can you put up a screenshot of the Tracking History so we might see what you are seeing ?

USPS contacted them today. I filed a claim online. USPS makes you wait 15 days with priority mail. If NGC has my coins fine. I don’t care about anything else. I just want to know they’re safe somewhere. Anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

I hope. Never submitted before so forgive me for my jitters. 

I completely understand.  I would be having a panic attack. Just to try to help ease your mind I've had a couple packages do the same thing. I sure hope it's the same case for you to my friend. I'm praying they are OK for you. It sure nerve wrecking not knowing. I will continue to pray and hope the best it turns out ok for you. I hate to see good honest people taken advantage of by a worthless theif. It's happend to me several times. One $5000 dollar hit when my ATV was stolen. And several others things over the years. I take it personal when it happens to anyone. My heart goes out to you my friend. I'm sure they are OK more than likely though. 

Just now, Hoghead515 said:

I completely understand.  I would be having a panic attack. Just to try to help ease your mind I've had a couple packages do the same thing. I sure hope it's the same case for you to my friend. I'm praying they are OK for you. It sure nerve wrecking not knowing. I will continue to pray and hope the best it turns out ok for you. I hate to see good honest people taken advantage of by a worthless theif. It's happend to me several times. One $5000 dollar hit when my ATV was stolen. And several others things over the years. I take it personal when it happens to anyone. My heart goes out to you my friend. I'm sure they are OK more than likely though. 

You’re awesome Kentucky. You’re a good man. 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:46 PM, zadok said:

currently if r status tracking says ur package is still in transit then it is still in usps hands, when it arrives at ngc zip code ur usps status update will say arrived at that zip code n then if u request in ur tracking request it will show when available for pick up, thats when it transfers from usps to ngc, then it could take days to be opened n listed on ur submission status tracking at ngc....once u see available for pick up u can basically relax n when u see received on ngc staus u know its in the system....for example i talked to ngc today n they were just opening mail they received on 7 april today.....

I’m not worried about how long it takes NGC to open the package. Honestly I could care less. It’s the fact that USPS has no idea where my package is. If it was saying in Sarasota I wouldn’t be here right now.  

image.png

1 hour ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

USPS contacted them today. I filed a claim online. USPS makes you wait 15 days with priority mail. If NGC has my coins fine. I don’t care about anything else. I just want to know they’re safe somewhere. Anywhere. 

Understood.....I think they are.  I live 25 miles north of NYC and my package went to Illinois !!  

That's like someone on Martha's Vineyard driving out to the beach by heading first to the North Pole.  xD

13 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Understood.....I think they are.  I live 25 miles north of NYC and my package went to Illinois !!  

That's like someone on Martha's Vineyard driving out to the beach by heading first to the North Pole.  xD

I remember years ago we were flying to NYC. We took off from Lexington KY.  We had to fly plum down to Atlanta GA and get on another jet and fly into NYC. That was wild to fly that far out of the way. 

12 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

f his coins are sitting somewhere NOT at NGC, that is not right. 

Yes it is IF he required a signature.  NGC has a P.O. Box thus his package is placed in holding area and a 'Notification Slip'  (Package Requiring Your Signature) is placed in the Box.  Now, if his package arrived on a Monday and no NGC employee shows up to sign for it for two weeks - bad luck.

If you already posted it, I didn’t see it - did you call NGC? They could at least tell you about their current situation with receiving and signing for packages, backlogs, procedures, etc. 

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

Yes it is IF he required a signature.  NGC has a P.O. Box thus his package is placed in holding area and a 'Notification Slip'  (Package Requiring Your Signature) is placed in the Box.  Now, if his package arrived on a Monday and no NGC employee shows up to sign for it for two weeks - bad luck.

NGC said they have someone on site to sign. I’m not sure exactly what he meant by this. 

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

8 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

If you already posted it, I didn’t see it - did you call NGC? They could at least tell you about their current situation with receiving and signing for packages, backlogs, procedures, etc. 

I have called but the automated reply is I’ve exhausted my attempts by phone. 

This is what NGC said on the 27th.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your email.  We have a Post Office on site with postal worker that work Monday through Friday.  All packages are delivered to us directly and we will sign for them.

Thank you,

Lisa

2 minutes ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

This is what NGC said on the 27th.  Dear Mark,  Thank you for your email.  We have a Post Office on site with postal worker that work Monday through Friday.  All packages are delivered to us directly and we will sign for them.  Thank you,  Lisa

I think you are OK, Mark. 

I still want to know why the PO is weeks behind in freaking APRIL !!!  Christmas time, I get delays.  It's freaking April and nobody is filing taxes either -- they're mostly electronic now.

Post Office is really behind the 8-ball.  I wonder if lots of workers are taking advantage of Covid-time off procedures granted by their unions.

I have a batch I have wanted to submit for about a year but have declined due to stories like this one.  I was hoping NGC would attend the Dalton GA show but the table listing indicated they did not.

It's worth somewhat more than the submission described in the OP but it's coins I would either have a really hard time replacing or would not be able to at all if lost.

I always send mine registered mail and request likewise when returned, not priority or express.