• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 quarter with pure copper center pushed out?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I found this coin and it appears to have its copper core on the outside of the coin. It’s still as thin as a regular quarter leading me to believe it happened under extreme pressure, as in two dies coming together. But the weights slightly off. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

2A23450E-10C9-4EE7-8BEF-57A751DB9E62.jpeg

E98DD6B5-EDFA-4CF2-BC88-0356AA732018.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I can’t say for sure what caused this, but I can say for certain it didn’t occur at the mint. This is post mint damage. A lot of it. 

So it couldn’t have happened when the dies hit and some defect in the planchet caused the copper to shoot out like that? It’s still as thin as a regular quarter. Not trying to argue I just have so many questions about this quarter haha

35 minutes ago, MattMatt88 said:

So it couldn’t have happened when the dies hit and some defect in the planchet caused the copper to shoot out like that? It’s still as thin as a regular quarter. Not trying to argue I just have so many questions about this quarter haha

Personally I don’t think so. The metal isn’t in a liquid state when it’s struck. I don’t see a way during the minting process for this to happen. There is also a lot of abrasion on the coin. It looks like something someone did while bored. People do crazy things to coins, and the only thing crazier is trying to figure out what they did or why they did it. All we can say is this didn’t happen at the mint. Others will chime in and may have different opinions.

This quarter has suffered nothing more than who knows what... PMD all day long. Impossible for it to leave the mint in this fashion and it is underweight as well for this year as well as a tremendous amount of abrasion as mentioned.  I believe this is the first rendition of "The Washington Dumbo" Quarter.  I would place it in a 2x2 and relish the fact that it actually looks like a huge ear. Pretty cool find IMHO.

13 hours ago, GBrad said:

I believe this is the first rendition of "The Washington Dumbo" Quarter.  I would place it in a 2x2 and relish the fact that it actually looks like a huge ear.

I was thinking giant Spock/Keebler Elf ear myself but Dumbo makes more sense. PMD.