• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on Making Numismatics a Career

10 posts in this topic

I am nearing the end of my high school days and have to start thinking about future careers. I am extremely passionate about numismatics, and I would love for my great hobby to be my career. I have been to the Summer Seminar (several times had it not been for this virus) and am in the middle of completing the ANA's Numismatic Diploma Program. Are there any tips or other actions I should take to make the dream become a reality? 

6 minutes ago, Bignubnumismatics said:

I am nearing the end of my high school days and have to start thinking about future careers. I am extremely passionate about numismatics, and I would love for my great hobby to be my career. I have been to the Summer Seminar (several times had it not been for this virus) and am in the middle of completing the ANA's Numismatic Diploma Program. Are there any tips or other actions I should take to make the dream become a reality? 

Have to start somewhere...

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8710/ccg-is-hiring/

Edited by EdG_Ohio

Posted (edited)

It's like diving headfirst into a treasure trove of history, culture, and shiny objects. But hey, it's not all rainbows and unicorns, right? There's the thrill of the hunt, the joy of discovery, and let's not forget the occasional heartbreak of missing out on that rare find.

Now, let me spill the tea on this: if you're thinking about turning your passion for coins into a full-on career, you gotta be ready to hustle like there's no tomorrow. It's not just about knowing your stuff (although that's definitely a big part of it), but also about networking, staying on top of market trends, and maybe even taking a few risks along the way. But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, am I right?

And hey, speaking of venturing into new territories, have you ever considered exploring other fields that might complement your love for numismatics? I stumbled upon this site recently https://phlebotomynearyou.com/ and it got me thinking about how diverse the world of careers can be. Who knows, maybe there's a hidden gem out there waiting for you to discover it!

Edited by Reallywo

On 4/2/2021 at 1:01 PM, Bignubnumismatics said:

As you're about to shuck the Y from YN, I think this is pretty cool.

First decide how ethical you want to be. That might seem out of left field, but it's what will really determine your career trajectory. It is one thing to say immediately that you'll be at maximum ethics; it's another to carry that out when you realize that private collection sellers often have zero knowledge of their coins' value, aren't really checking with anyone else, and will accept any amount from you that seems sane even if a bit disappointing.

A suggested ethic to really carry this out is to look at how much knowledge the seller asserts. The more they do--if they look like they plan to negotiate hard and are at least purporting to be experienced--the less duty of fairness falls on you. If it's a person who obviously has zero knowledge, then this ethic doesn't require you to pay more than what is fair, but it does mean that you should pay no less even when you could. This will mean that the bad guys, on balance, will sometimes be able to undercut you at retail, because they will give someone $750 for Bampaw's collection when a fairer price would be $900. Integrity isn't free. Evil typically wins more than it loses, because evil ignores ethics and rules. The good guys don't always win, and our commercial society is set up to reward greed and punish integrity. That's just our society; love it or hate it, you're in it.

Another ethical question concerns condition and grading. Your typical dealer overgrades by about half to one and a half. Pariedolia? Greed? Inexperience? It varies. I know a great dealer in Boise who is a good guy in many ways, but you can mentally mark every coin he sells down by one grade, and I always bear that in mind. I at least will be able to get the coin from him for what I should pay, but a novice is taking a double hosing. My dealer in Kennewick, by contrast, is a little bit famous and the guy's grading and disclosures are unimpeachable. His shop is where you look at a flip and see a conservative grade plus something like "cleaned" or "damaged" stated right up front. He knows that if you state that up front, buyers are happier and more willing to pay what you're asking, but he's also just a hell of a vendor who hires good people. Bullets bounce off his rep.

I mention all this because this hobby is one where bad word gets around. Even though I am not prominent in any way, I can be in any coin shop in the Pacific Northwest for the first time, and odds are that they will take a paper check from me (especially if it's not like some huge amount). Who would do that, and why? They've never heard of me until that day. It's because I know folks they do know, like the dealer in Kennewick or my local ancients mentor; I'm in the local club and am familiar with its longtimers; I'm also not putting pressure on the dealer or making them nervous; if they prefer a credit card, I understand, just trying to save them the fee. They asked where I was from, and we traded enough names to satisfy them. The logic here is that because I do not have a bad reputation--word travels fast--no one who rolls with some fairly prominent people would be insufficiently_thoughtful_person enough to junk that whole rep for good over bouncing a $75 check. They'd hear about it, and I'd be avoided.

So. I think your first decision is to decide what kind of person you want to be. That'll affect the rest of your choices; the choice to go the less ethical route is one that would take a fair bit of your adult life to reverse, whereas the choice to go the more ethical route could be destroyed much more quickly. But if you do go the most ethical route, you are likely to attract the support and great word-of-mouth that can be provided by the good guys (local collectors likely to be regulars and who live by ethics). Once they see how you do business, they'll put some effort into helping you. You'll become one of them.

Up to you.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:53 AM, Coinbuf said:

@JKK that was an interesting read, however, did you see the op posted this in 2021.

I did. It's for the benefit of others, and perhaps to bring about discussion of general numismatic ethics. If it was dredged once, it'll be dredged again.

The OP did not respond this thread and his last post was July 23, 2023.

Yes, this happens all the time. I think an advertising bot comes on to the site opens an old thread and gives a comment.

On 4/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, Bignubnumismatics said:

Focus on grading.....that's the key....you do that and are proficient, you'll get a job easy with any dealer or one of the TPGs.