• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Services

11 posts in this topic

I have been attempting for better than two months through a service that I sent coins and comic books to for grading to get answers. Coins have been sitting in limbo since February 15 and have been SCHEDULED FOR GRADING. The Comic Books since February 10th. I have reached out to the service who has them only to be told a different story every time I contact them. Their website claims a 35 day turnaround yet today I am told that a rough estimate and not a guaranteed return time for grading. I have an ongoing collection I am trying to get graded along with several hundred comic books yet no one seems to care. Any ideas ??? I have reached out to the top two and one of them doesn't even bother to answer and the other well !!!!! Just gives me the runaround. Don't mind waiting my turn however I was told today if you want them back quicker pay the additional monies !! Really ?? Why offer services you cannot service. GETTING EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED and need direction. 

Well that 35 days would be 35 business days not calendar days.  35 business days will probably be this coming Monday.  Then it is only an estimate and it could take longer.  With a 35 day estimate it soulds like they went in on an economy tier and those can frequently take longer than expected.  Basically they will get ther when they get there.  Next time if you want faster service pay for the more expensive tiers.

Thanks Conder101 for taking the time to respond. In reviewing your response it mirrors that of the company I am dealing with word for word. As an investor who plans on spending upwards of $15k in grading fee's I find it extremely wasteful to spend another $7,500.00 minimum for a faster turnaround. If this particular coin grader is going to sell a grading service at an ESTIMATE then it should provide that information to the customer, not tell them that after two months. As a consumer and a businessman not only is Customer Service a key factor but providing false advertising is deceptive. Had I known on a test run of their services that I was looking at an ESTIMATED time I more than likely would have made other decisions, however their site does not state ESTIMATED rather a true turnaround. Live an learn I guess and move on. So when I send for services next time I should look beyond the THEY WILL GET THERE WHEN THEY GET THERE TIER. As for spending another $7,500.00 to get what I was led to believe I was contracting for, NO I don't think so !!!!!. Thanks 

19 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That caveat has always been there as far as I know.

Yes, and it is the same at the other services too.  All turnaround times are estimates.  All a services can do is give estimates.  They can't see into the future and know how many coins are going to come in over the next month and when.  Or if people are going to be out sick etc.  And if your coins are on a lower cost slower tier level and then a lot of coins come in at the higher fee faster level, your coins are going to be delayed because someone else paid to go to the head of the line.

That does seem a little unfair though.  They go to the head of the line but pay for the privilege, the lower tier people get inconvenienced, but the grading service are the ones who get compensated.  Of course that is why the lower tier gets graded cheaper, that's their compensation.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:58 PM, Conder101 said:

Well that 35 days would be 35 business days not calendar days.  35 business days will probably be this coming Monday.  Then it is only an estimate and it could take longer.  With a 35 day estimate it soulds like they went in on an economy tier and those can frequently take longer than expected.  Basically they will get ther when they get there.  Next time if you want faster service pay for the more expensive tiers.

Acceptable answer, and we haven't even broached the subject of the pandemic and its effect on turn-around times.

If you're not prepared for things to take longer than advertised / estimated to get done you're liable to have a very unhappy life.

The sfuff I could tell you about some of my recent experiences with AT&T. lol

I forget who it was that retired and how one of the original TPGS got started and how one principal experienced doubt that his concept would take with collectors, and how amazed they all were at the phenomenal response, so great in fact, that turn-around times reached ten months!

As long as you have an indication that your shipment has been received, you're on safe ground.