• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is there any tips on what i should be looking for when looking through my change anything?

7 posts in this topic

Wow, the possibilities are endless.  You could look for better condition coins, older wheat cents or pre 64 silver, foreign coins can be found, the newer W mint quarters, you could try to put together a set of Memorial cents or Jefferson nickels, there are errors and varieties, whatever interests you.  Do some serious studying on coins and see what you like.

Agree with the last line of @l.cutler's post.  The more you learn about coins and the minting process, the easier it will to find things and you'll waste less time on damaged coins.

That being said, finding valuable coins in change is rare.  Just like the scratch off tickets, there are lots of losers, a few very minor layoffs and very, very few winners.  I'm not being rude, but if you only are in this to make money, you'll probably do better collecting cans along the side of the road.  If it was easy to make a fortune searching pocket change, most of us would be sitting on a beach in Caribbean by now

Assuming you have a little experience, here are some sites to look at

Www.error-ref.com

Www.varietyvista.com

Www.Doubleddie.com

Here is a site that explains how coins are made.  

https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/how-coins-are-made-coin-production-terminology

10 hours ago, proud potato said:

is there any tips on what i should be looking for when looking through my change anything?

If you look at my Cherry Pickers post you can see some types of coin variations. I am always looking for something ...

Edited by J P Mashoke

I have got to the point that I can spot MS coins in my change quickly, and set them aside. Then inspect them outside in natural lighting, then with a pen light, and finally a lighted 10x loupe. Very few pass the test and go into a flip.

16 hours ago, proud potato said:

@J P Mashoke  if you happen to have a link that would be sooo helpfull thx

You can always google a coin question and sometimes get a good answer. I also have a tread in this same section as this thread called Cherry Pickers Post ,I look for errors on coins and members here are kind enough to give there honest comments on what they think it is . Some of the comments are a blast. It is great fun and very informative. You may see something that helps you out.

Edited by J P Mashoke