How reliable is sending your coin to get graded? Is it safe?
3 3

40 posts in this topic

People send coins worth thousands, tens of thousands, and I’m betting they are not driving them to Florida. NGC has graded over 49 million coins! I think it’s safe. I use priority mail with adequate insurance and tracking, but I have sent coins regular first class too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once it gets to the TPG it's safe.  The risk is between you and the TPG and that risk depends on how it is shipped.  And you can remove 99.9+% of that risk by shipping Registered.  Then your biggest risk will be getting into an accident on the way to the post office.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Conder101 said:

Once it gets to the TPG it's safe.  The risk is between you and the TPG and that risk depends on how it is shipped.  And you can remove 99.9+% of that risk by shipping Registered.  Then your biggest risk will be getting into an accident on the way to the post office.

I would also think that when the TPG sends it back to you is also a risk.

Clearly, postal workers and the overnight shippers know various packages contain valuable coins, jewelry, etc.  They know the addresses.  And they look for them.

Fully insure 100% of the value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I would also think that when the TPG sends it back to you is also a risk.

TPG's, at least NGC and PCGS, tend to return by Registered mail.  So that is safe as well.  At least it was pre-covid.  I'm not sure how they handle signatures for Registered right now.  Priority they will often sign and leave but I'm not sure about Registered.  Security on those is a lot more strict.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Get insurance, because the crooked workers at USPS/FedX/UPS have clearly determined that packages going to PCGS and NGC are valuable coins.

crooked workers?...clearly determined?...just how many coins have u had stolen when submitting to PCGS n NGC?...or other collectors that u know personally that have had coins stolen when submitting?...or is this just passing on rumors that someone knew someone that heard that someone had lost a coin?....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

TPG's, at least NGC and PCGS, tend to return by Registered mail.  So that is safe as well.  At least it was pre-covid.  I'm not sure how they handle signatures for Registered right now.  Priority they will often sign and leave but I'm not sure about Registered.  Security on those is a lot more strict.

yes u r correct, i routinely receive parcels back from NGC (600+ to date) they have always been sent by registered post n require a signature....priority as u say is often just left, the covid has created a tendency for carriers to become a bit more relaxed in their stringency on delivery requirements, partially due to social distancing n i suspect also due to increase in temp hires to fill employee voids....the biggest detraction by using registered delivery is it is significantly slower due to monitoring requirements, but as u stated much more secure....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't count the decades that I have sent coins to be evaluated.  Not ONE has been lost, stolen, misplaced or sent to Mars.  First I sent to ANACS then along came PCGS and NGC.  Over the years I (my opinion only)have found that I like PCGS for silver and NGC for gold.  Yes, I suppose there are a few crooks in any industry but I have yet to find any in the USPS that I deal with.  Just recently:  Left PCGS in CA via USPS arrived in PA 3 days later 9 coins value $10,000.00 plus.  If I'm a bit scratchy this morning it's because I like the USPS workers in this little town.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Fully insure 100% of the value.

Easier said then done.  I insured a coin bought raw from an individual in Europe for its purchase price.  Little did I (or the seller, apparently) know it was exceedingly rare: only one other at that grade, none higher, and obviously worth a lot more than what I paid for it. Blind beginner's luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zadok said:

crooked workers?...clearly determined?...just how many coins have u had stolen when submitting to PCGS n NGC?...or other collectors that u know personally that have had coins stolen when submitting?...or is this just passing on rumors that someone knew someone that heard that someone had lost a coin?....

I haven't lost coins, but I have lost currency stolen by postal workers (not that I was sending for grading; to a friend). Since I mailed the piece directly in a post office inside mailbox, and it was held for pickup at the destination, it never left postal custody during that time. My recipient got the piece in a plastic envelope apologizing for it being "damaged," but the currency had been removed. I am not sure how they determined what was inside, but there was no opportunity for non-postal people to steal it. I'm not sure how organized or clever it might be, but there is definitely a mail theft problem within the postal service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was frankly startled to find that there are now two NCICs:

The National Crime Information Center which dates back to J. Edgar Hoover's tenure at the FBI, and an upstart with the same acronym which stands for  The Numismatic Crime Information Center.

They say necessity is the mother of invention and after reviewing the latter's site, I can definitely see why this initiative became necessary after a spate of thefts involving ground and air transportation services to and from TPGS. 

I trust all reputable, highly-regarded TPGS implicitly. Some dealers are so mindful of the consequences of bad reviews, they literally importune buyers to contact customer service first before posting a negative review.

I am not going to worry about my comparatively affordable coins until a collector of Brasher Doubloons or Partrick's coins express their lack of confidence in a service. My collection does not fit the criteria of a risk substantial enough to justify national notice, exposure and interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2021 at 8:36 AM, zadok said:

crooked workers?...clearly determined?...just how many coins have u had stolen when submitting to PCGS n NGC?...or other collectors that u know personally that have had coins stolen when submitting?...or is this just passing on rumors that someone knew someone that heard that someone had lost a coin?....

I've submitted none but I have seen news reports and police reports which stated that packages were opened by FedX or USPS or UPS personnel -- torn open.

My friend works for the USPS and says their seasonal/PT workers often have sketchy backgrounds and he has to watch them like a hawk.

Edited by GoldFinger1969
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I've submitted none but I have seen news reports and police reports which stated that packages were opened by FedX or USPS or UPS personnel -- torn open.

First:  I could care less about FedEx or UPS.  I, me, do not ship through those individuals.  I have seen the 'complaints of theft' posted by individuals on Coin Forums and have see a few reports by this NCIC Agency.  As for being "torn open' has anybody tried to 'tear opem' a shipment from PCGS or NGC?  Good luck on that.  I cannot come up with a monetary value of my shipments; age has dulled my memory but it was substantial.  Now for the tricks in shipping.  

1.  I use a good strong box.  2.  I surround the entire box in Glass Reinforced Tape  (I will wreck the USPS sorting machine before my box is 'torn open')  3.  And most important the shipping label.  I address it to:  PCS or PGS or NC, or NG and then on the second and third lines P.O. Box 9548 - Newport Beach, CA  92658 (Zip big and bold)  The USPS delivers to an address - NOT A NAME.  No where do I put any relation to the contents.  Hope this little bit helps.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

3.  And most important the shipping label.  I address it to:  PCS or PGS or NC, or NG and then on the second and third lines P.O. Box 9548 - Newport Beach, CA  92658 (Zip big and bold)  The USPS delivers to an address - NOT A NAME.  No where do I put any relation to the contents.  Hope this little bit helps.

I see a few problems with your reinforced, if not fool-proof approach. And this pertains to only point 3.

Firstly, those initials which are hints any Wheel of Fortune contestant can use to help fill in the blanks.

Secondly, that post office box number -- and zip code.

Thirdly, the very fact you register and insure your packages, with a USPS Tracking # are forced to limit the possibilities of its contents, i.e., unstable chemicals, etc., via a mandatory verbal recitation by the clerk, virtually, when all considerations are taken into consideration, scream COINS INSIDE WITH NUMISMATIC VALUE!!!

(Now where's that head- banging emoji you usually honor me with?)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I see a few problems with your reinforced, if not fool-proof approach. And this pertains to only point 3.

Maybe it does not suit you.  Maybe it does not impress anyone at all.  None of that matters when I say:  "I have been sending coins via USPS, without incident,  since ANACS was a fixture outside the main gate at Fort Carson.  Still have the Photo Certs.  The key phrase:  "without i

Edited by Alex in PA.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

Maybe it does not suit you.  Maybe it does not impress anyone at all.  None of that matters when I say:  "I have been sending coins via USPS, without incident,  since ANACS was a fixture outside the main gate at Fort Carson.  Still have the Photo Certs.  The key phrase:  "without i

Your point is well taken.  (C-c-can I still get an emoji, or are you going to continue to allow the Nevada guy streak in the guy, to continue to color your disposition?)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Wrong word substituted
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I've submitted none but I have seen news reports and police reports which stated that packages were opened by FedX or USPS or UPS personnel -- torn open.

My friend works for the USPS and says their seasonal/PT workers often have sketchy backgrounds and he has to watch them like a hawk.

so no credible source....just rumor mongering.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

No such thing as "The Nevada Guy' exists.  He is nothing more than a pigment of peoples imagination.

 

download.jpg

I will take that to mean we are bosom buddies, again. And thanks for the emoji. Man, I love this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I see a few problems with your reinforced, if not fool-proof approach. And this pertains to only point 3.

Firstly, those initials which are hints any Wheel of Fortune contestant can use to help fill in the blanks.

Secondly, that post office box number -- and zip code.

Thirdly, the very fact you register and insure your packages, with a USPS Tracking # are forced to limit the possibilities of its contents, i.e., unstable chemicals, etc., via a mandatory verbal recitation by the clerk, virtually, when all considerations are taken into consideration, scream COINS INSIDE WITH NUMISMATIC VALUE!!!

(Now where's that head- banging emoji you usually honor me with?)

 

obviously not a well informed reply to discussing how registered mail works n why its the most reliable means to ship coins.....registered mail is tracked n documented both internally by the usps n can be monitored externally by the sender at every transfer point on its route to destination....neither the post office box nor the zip code r negatives in shipping security... their r very few instances of thefts of registered mail, the thefts of money items thru the mail r usually currency in non insured non registered birthday cards or xmas cards since security on those types of shipping is less stringent n if u open enuf cards u prob will find some cash....internal security at usps is very tight with ccts, overhead monitoring, supervisory positions etc....obviously there r always some degree of theft n loss in all shipping systems, but these horror stories of loss of coins to n from tpgs is overblown...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I will not argue the fact that thefts by US Postal Service employees occur but theft of inventory occurs in all industries in the world.  I send Registered Mail and I often use Priority Mail Express which is Over Night*  I can track the package every USPS facility it hits when it comes and when it goes.  I do not doubt people have had problems but some folks should examine how they use the USPS.  Why I don't use FedEx:  Two separate occasions I was informed my FedEx package (one a 55" high value Flat Screen) was delivered.  The TV was found 2 months later by the manager of a vacant apartment building a mile from where I live.  She brought the unopened box to me upon finding it and seeing the address.  The other one; a high value item, was never found.

* Takes 2 days from my small PA town and that is fine with me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zadok said:

so no credible source....just rumor mongering.....

No, actual people posting that they have been ripped off.....high-level police reports filed for 5-figure coins...news reports....FedX and USPS acknowledging that the coins were stolen and almost certainly by their personnel.

Very credible sources and NO rumour mongering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zadok said:

obviously there r always some degree of theft n loss in all shipping systems, but these horror stories of loss of coins to n from tpgs is overblown...

I didn't say that it was an epidemic.  I said it was happening more frequently.  There are lots of PT workers with questionable backgrounds employed at UPS, USPS, Amazon.com, and FedX.   It's not the person with 20 years and a decent pension doing the thefts, it's new or PT workers.

Some of the thefts might be listed here in these forums.  I'll do a scan and post a link if that will show you that this is not a once in a blue moon kind of thing.

Thieves are smart.  They see stuff going to and from the same place and they put 2 and 2 together.

I just got a coin delivered today so I'm not saying to not trust the mails.  I'm just saying be smart....pay for expedited shipping....and fully insure any valuable or irreplaceable coins.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I didn't say that it was an epidemic.  I said it was happening more frequently.  There are lots of PT workers with questionable backgrounds employed at UPS, USPS, Amazon.com, and FedX.   It's not the person with 20 years and a decent pension doing the thefts, it's new or PT workers.

Some of the thefts might be listed here in these forums.  I'll do a scan and post a link if that will show you that this is not a once in a blue moon kind of thing.

Thieves are smart.  They see stuff going to and from the same place and they put 2 and 2 together.

I just got a coin delivered today so I'm not saying to not trust the mails.  I'm just saying be smart....pay for expedited shipping....and fully insure any valuable or irreplaceable coins.

 

yea i could say the same bout financial advisors n stockbrokers ripping off their clients too, but that would just be generalizing n overblowing a known issue the same as u r doing bout usps workers stealing coins to from tpg...u should stick to known personal experiences u can make unequivocal statements bout from first hand knowledge instead of perpetuating rumors or over exaggerating issues....im sure anyone can find examples of theft in every industry that exists but that doesnt equate to it being widespread....the orig poster wanted to know if it was safe to ship coins to the tpgs, the answer is yes if u ship with common sense n take advantage of existing safe methods of shipping....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I didn't say that it was an epidemic.  I said it was happening more frequently.  There are lots of PT workers with questionable backgrounds employed at UPS, USPS, Amazon.com, and FedX.   It's not the person with 20 years and a decent pension doing the thefts, it's new or PT workers.

Some of the thefts might be listed here in these forums.  I'll do a scan and post a link if that will show you that this is not a once in a blue moon kind of thing.

Thieves are smart.  They see stuff going to and from the same place and they put 2 and 2 together.

I just got a coin delivered today so I'm not saying to not trust the mails.  I'm just saying be smart....pay for expedited shipping....and fully insure any valuable or irreplaceable coins.

 

["Free shipping" as opposed to expedited shipping, internationally speaking, means overland by coach thru several countries and transport via tramp steamer to Port Elizabeth, New Jersey or a lesser dock of renown in Hell's Kitchen, New York or Red Hook Brooklyn.]  😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3