• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How reliable is sending your coin to get graded? Is it safe?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, zadok said:

the orig poster wanted to know if it was safe to ship coins to the tpgs, the answer is yes if u ship with common sense n take advantage of existing safe methods of shipping....

I agree with that and never said anything otherwise.  The problem has been not with the TPGs but with the carriers.

And with 99.99% of the coins, I wouldn't worry.  It's the minority that are worth serious $$$ that I would be more careful with and pay up 100% for insurance.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/26/2021 at 8:36 AM, zadok said:

crooked workers?...clearly determined?...just how many coins have u had stolen when submitting to PCGS n NGC?...or other collectors that u know personally that have had coins stolen when submitting?...or is this just passing on rumors that someone knew someone that heard that someone had lost a coin?....

I can recall a time fairly recently when a new member flat-out said a TPGS "SWITCHED" his coins with others, but I never did get to hear the full story because upstanding members here questioned his character, demanded proof, ultimately insulted him -- and ran him back out of town on a rail. When I was so bold as to resurrect the matter recently, we were told it, was a figment of our imagination. 

I know collectors are concerned about parting with their treasures whether they have high market- or sentimental-value.  But the truth is you'd sooner hit the lottery or suffer a lightning strike than lose your possessions to a TPGS. [Before I leave to clear up that blockage on the Suez Canal that's costing the world's economy billions of dollars daily, let me leave you with one final thought:  unless and until the professional numismatists with millions at stake are concerned about the reliability and safety of grading, you have nothing to worry about.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Correct typo.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:36 AM, zadok said:

crooked workers?...clearly determined?...just how many coins have u had stolen when submitting to PCGS n NGC?...or other collectors that u know personally that have had coins stolen when submitting?...or is this just passing on rumors that someone knew someone that heard that someone had lost a coin?....

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can speak for myself.  The answer to your question from me is 3 times.

The most recent being October of 2020.  I ordered 15 ASE’s from APMEX.  They shipped my coins via UPS SMARTPOST.  UPS handles the shipping until the “last mile”, then USPS takes it and makes delivery.

I was able to track it and the very last scan was when it was received by the USPS office that makes my delivery.  That was the last scan and the priority mail package never arrived.  I was fortunate to have purchased from their eBay site, so after the allotted time, eBay refunded my cost.

This was the third time I’ve had a shipment disappear, that contained precious metals, from the same USPS facility.  I have given up trying to get ANYONE at USPS to track down or investigate.

So, now you have it from an actual person and not third party heresy.

Everytime I place an order, from any site selling PM’s, I always wonder if I’ll actually receive the shipment.  I don’t know what else I can do.  🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I didn't say that it was an epidemic. 

Agreed.  But let's look at these 'thefts' of precious coins.  Pandemic hits and all must stay at home bored and lonely.  Shipments via USPS (and FedEx, UPS too) slow down and some of the coin forum's impatient people get 'antsy'.  Coin forums get more attention with people reporting "many thefts" (most unsubstantiated) from the USPS but few from FedEx, UPS.  Why?  The majority of the comments I read from ATS were:  "My coins are missing."  Or "My coins are not being tracked any longer."  Or words to those effects.  Therefore:  "My coins must have been stolen,"  I'll just leave my theory there.  I am going to mail, via USPS, to a forum member.   I will post it's every move especially if it suddenly disappears,

So far I have had good luck. I did have a couple packages that got stuck in a town and took a few days to shake loose.  Also had a couple that the tracking number wouldn't update and finally they were delivered and the tracking info still not updated. 

21 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

First:  I could care less about FedEx or UPS.  I, me, do not ship through those individuals.  I have seen the 'complaints of theft' posted by individuals on Coin Forums and have see a few reports by this NCIC Agency.  As for being "torn open' has anybody tried to 'tear opem' a shipment from PCGS or NGC?  Good luck on that.  I cannot come up with a monetary value of my shipments; age has dulled my memory but it was substantial.  Now for the tricks in shipping.  

1.  I use a good strong box.  2.  I surround the entire box in Glass Reinforced Tape  (I will wreck the USPS sorting machine before my box is 'torn open')  3.  And most important the shipping label.  I address it to:  PCS or PGS or NC, or NG and then on the second and third lines P.O. Box 9548 - Newport Beach, CA  92658 (Zip big and bold)  The USPS delivers to an address - NOT A NAME.  No where do I put any relation to the contents.  Hope this little bit helps.

I done the same thing when I submitted mine. Exactly the same. 

2 hours ago, GAF said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can speak for myself.  The answer to your question from me is 3 times.  The most recent being October of 2020.  I ordered 15 ASE’s from APMEX.  They shipped my coins via UPS SMARTPOST.  UPS handles the shipping until the “last mile”, then USPS takes it and makes delivery.  I was able to track it and the very last scan was when it was received by the USPS office that makes my delivery.  That was the last scan and the priority mail package never arrived.  I was fortunate to have purchased from their eBay site, so after the allotted time, eBay refunded my cost.  This was the third time I’ve had a shipment disappear, that contained precious metals, from the same USPS facility.  I have given up trying to get ANYONE at USPS to track down or investigate.  So, now you have it from an actual person and not third party heresy. Everytime I place an order, from any site selling PM’s, I always wonder if I’ll actually receive the  shipment.  I don’t know what else I can do.  🤷‍♂️

Thanks for chiming in.  (thumbsu

Are you in a suburban or rural area where the local Post Office knows pretty much the houses it delivers to, or more urban area where the population density is simply too high ?

I ask because if more local and less dense, your specific mail carrier (it's usually the same postman delivering, at least it is in my suburban NY area) should be able to help find out where the item is going missing.  If HE/SHE isn't pilfering it, it means the local post office is probably where the thievery is happening and that should be traceable and correctable. 

At a larger regional sorting USPS before the "last mile", it'll be more difficult since those people don't interact with the locals.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/27/2021 at 3:21 PM, Woods020 said:

ship certified or similar

Not certified, certified is the red hair step child of post office security, as expensive as Priority but less secure.  If you want it there faster and you aren't worried about the expense and the higher risk of theft  send it Priority insured . and Iam not sure if Certified can be insured.  If you want to make sure it gets there but don't mind it being slower ship registered.  Registered also has the advantage that for declared values over $1K it is also cheaper.  Under $1k Priority is cheaper.  Registered can also have a higher coverage level,  Insured priority tops out at $10K, Registered can go all the way up to $50K and the $50K coverage is a fraction of the cost of the $10K Priority insured.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:17 PM, zadok said:

their r very few instances of thefts of registered mail

As in count the number of packages stolen in a year on the fingers of one hand and have fingers left over.

I didn't see threads about stolen packages 5 or 10 years ago.  Yes, a package got lost every now and then but you didn't have the problems with theft.

This is related to the increased number of newcomers involved in mails at USPS/FEDX/UPS/Amazon....and Covid-19 wrecking havoc with supply lines.

I think it safe to say if you follow the directions on Submission Forms assiduously, you will experience no problems, save for long turn-around times. The carriers used have made errors but considering the volume of mail dealt with, this is to be expected though will be little consolation to the collector of high-value coins, registration and insurance, notwithstanding.  

In transit mishaps are what disturbs me.  Who has not found a parcel unattended on the street after having fallen off a steel, one-sided hand truck. With payphones and standing telephone booths gone, thieves have resorted to stealing packages off broken-into trucks, doorsteps, fishing mail out of trucks and invasion robberies of homes and businesses.  But getting Back on Track as my two colleagues are fond of reminding us, the TPGS facilities are inviolate. I myself have regularly found small padded envelopes with overseas tracking numbers requiring signature, placed into my mailbox. I have even had to track down a parcel containing gold roosters llst amongst three post offices but that's par for the course.

With the exception of NevadaS&G, I am unaware of any shenanigans involving a TPGS. After all, their livelihood and existence is dependent on reliability and reutation.